rattle rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
tanman will become famous soon enough
rattle rattle

I'm two weeks in and 500 miles, and a rattle has developed in the driver side door. The louder the radio volume the louder the reverberation in the door. It's an annoying noise that seems to be getting louder. A speaker must be located there to explain the progression in noise volume. Anyone else experience this?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
Do you have Bose? I haven't experienced this but I remember reading about it. They put a notecard somewhere or something. Sorry for not being able to help.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Indeed I do have Bose, due diligence hence forth for more information.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
It's time for a trip to the dealer.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
There have been post here before regarding this. I do believe the issue is that the speaker was not properly insulated or has come loose. Have dealer look at.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tanman
I'm two weeks in and 500 miles, and a rattle has developed in the driver side door. The louder the radio volume the louder the reverberation in the door. It's an annoying noise that seems to be getting louder. A speaker must be located there to explain the progression in noise volume. Anyone else experience this?
I had the same issue the day I picked up my car in April 2012. It turned out to be defective clips holding the door trim card, so that hard parts of the plastic air bag cover and the door card itself were in contact. Sounded just as you describe. The dealer initially tried messing with the clips, but it came back, so eventually replaced the entire door panel. One poster suggested placing a rolled up dollar bill into the front of the door card- that worked.

(That said, yours may be the speaker).

Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Thank you for the helpful responses, I found the rolled up dollar under the door panel does seem to quiet the rattle somewhat. Many have said that in trying to save weight, Porsche eliminated any extraneous material in the design of the 991. Including apparently some foam insulation and even rubber seals.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:01 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tanman
Thank you for the helpful responses, I found the rolled up dollar under the door panel does seem to quiet the rattle somewhat. Many have said that in trying to save weight, Porsche eliminated any extraneous material in the design of the 991. Including apparently some foam insulation and even rubber seals.
The culprit in my case was a broken trim clip. The replacement has never rattled.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
SLVR_BULLIT is on a distinguished road
there is a piece of plastic trim that surrounds the door hinge (on the door). Found mine had popped loose once. pushed it back in place and it seemed to solve the problem.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
bboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nice
Same age and mileage as you and (knock wood) no rattles yet, not even the dreaded sunroof rattle. Hope they find and fix yours quickly...

Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Name:  Rattle at front speaker.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  150.2 KB

I happen to save above picture from this forum some months ago. Credit to the previous poster.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by exponential
Attachment 259918

I happen to save above picture from this forum some months ago. Credit to the previous poster.
I think this picture says it all.

Porsche, there is no substitute, but bring lots of shims.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by exponential
Attachment 259918

Your welcome

Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
I have a consistent door rattle on the right (and sometimes on the left). If I press against the airbag cover (yellow arrow in picture below), it stops 95%. Which is an indication that there is something behind it that isn't completely tightened when I press.

Anyone know how to disassemble these panels? I'd love to take a peek...

Edit: just stumbled across mtony's post that points to this DIY page on planet-9.com. Looks complicated!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960 copy.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	294882  

Last edited by chancludo; 10-29-2013 at 10:43 PM.