Car over heating intermittently!!!!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Exclamation Car over heating intermittently!!!!

I have about 9K miles on my '13 C4S - I was driving back to work after running an errand and noticed more engine sound than normal while at the traffic light. When I checked the engine temperature, instead of 194F coolant it was over 240F (close to red zone, see picture). This happened once before but as I restarted the car, it went away, similar to yesterday.

I'm very worried about this intermittent heating issue.... what if I don't notice and engine breaks down or even catches fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have appointment on 6/2...I guess will find out more...

Anyone had similar issue??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	378363  

Last edited by Fester; 05-24-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:17 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
You should worry because overheating can be extremely hazardous. Check your coolant, your radiators and your engine fan. If you have debris blocking your radiators they won't cool. Likewise, low coolant can cause temperatures to rise. If they both are fine, get to a dealership and have them troubleshoot the problem as you seriously don't want to overheat one of these.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Thermostat??

Old 05-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by denversteve
You should worry because overheating can be extremely hazardous. Check your coolant, your radiators and your engine fan. If you have debris blocking your radiators they won't cool. Likewise, low coolant can cause temperatures to rise. If they both are fine, get to a dealership and have them troubleshoot the problem as you seriously don't want to overheat one of these.
It's all clean and the coolant levels are alright. The car is practically new.....I do understand that front radiator fans didn't go off when I had the issue for the first time...

Originally Posted by STALKER
Thermostat??
When I had this issue for the first time, it was right after the first oil change on my way back from the dealership , I noticed strange (jet engine like) noise, noticed temp creeping up and called the dealership workshop manager immediately. They were closing their workshop, yet he stuck around for me to drive back, hooked it up to the computer (car had gone to normal temps) to look for the fault ...NOTHING!!! That was at around 3K miles... 6K miles later (at 9K) now this got repeated. I really hope it's a thermostat etc issue at they can fix quickly!!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:00 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I agree with Denversteve, Check the fans at the front radiators. May have junk, pebble etc sticking in fan preventing their operation

Seems to me that if the car is fine while moving and overheats when stopped, probably the fans or something blocking the radiators.

Last edited by rnl; 05-25-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM
///MMB is on a distinguished road
Did you have gas in it last time?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by ///MMB
Did you have gas in it last time?
Don't exactly remember but probably less than half...I'm sensing this is leading to something ???

Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by rnl
I agree with Denversteve, Check the fans at the front radiators. May have junk, pebble etc sticking in fan preventing their operation

Seems to me that if the car is fine while moving and overheats when stopped, probably the fans or something blocking the radiators.
I'll check it again tomorrow when I wash it. Don't think there's anything blocking the fans as all the other times in last 16 months (also now ) it works fine with exception to these 2 incidences.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Weird! A friend of mine had an issue with a front radiator fan but he got an alert showing up in the instrument cluster.
Let's see what the dealership finds out...

PS: BTW, I noticed on your gauge pic that you had been on the phone for 42 minutes when the issue happened. Maybe the car felt jealous and wanted more of your attention

Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You're hitting the disaster alarm button for no reason, there Fester. 240F is not even close to max operating temp which is 150 C or 305 F. 991 engines are designed to be more thermally efficient as it helps with fuel mileage and emissions, so they will run higher operating temps than older generations models. What you are seeing is perfectly normal.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL

PS: BTW, I noticed on your gauge pic that you had been on the phone for 42 minutes when the issue happened. Maybe the car felt jealous and wanted more of your attention
Haha...it's 42 seconds Serge and I guess it shows up every time I'm trying to use phone functions while it's connected to PCM via BT (like phone's Maps/Nav) ...not sure if this time it was just camera that caused it...my guess is "yes" but I will try again tomorrow to verify.

Originally Posted by drcollie
You're hitting the disaster alarm button for no reason, there Fester. 240F is not even close to max operating temp which is 150 C or 305 F. 991 engines are designed to be more thermally efficient as it helps with fuel mileage and emissions, so they will run higher operating temps than older generations models. What you are seeing is perfectly normal.
ok thanks for the info - yet, why would it get to even 241F is beyond me...I've thrashed it many times in sport+ consistently for 30 minutes or so, it never heats up to this level but driving around town in sport+ and not exceeding 5K rpm or so while shifting in manual puzzles me. There's definitely something not right IMHO....

Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
That's normal temp range, you're not going to get anything from your dealer if you take it in but 'there is nothing wrong' so may as well save yourself the trouble. A vehicle is always going to get hotter driving around town (especially in traffic) because there is not as much air going through the radiators as if you're out somewhere driving aggressively. Don't worry, you're good to go unless you crest the 300 degree mark.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by drcollie
That's normal temp range, you're not going to get anything from your dealer if you take it in but 'there is nothing wrong' so may as well save yourself the trouble. A vehicle is always going to get hotter driving around town (especially in traffic) because there is not as much air going through the radiators as if you're out somewhere driving aggressively. Don't worry, you're good to go unless you crest the 300 degree mark.
Not sure about your logic here ...the instrument panel doesn't even have 300F mark...it stops at 250F with redline/danger zone indication .

Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
I think what Fester is saying is that something is abnormal. And, it sounds that way, Mine sticks around 194 when fully warmed up and it always stays that way. And, I live in Sunny Southern California. When he sees 240, he is seeing something that is abnormal and out of the range from what he is used to. I'd agree with him on why suddenly it would go to 240.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
Not sure about your logic here ...the instrument panel doesn't even have 300F mark...it stops at 250F with redline/danger zone indication .
its not logic, its the factory spec on the car. Google it and you will discover the tech about the engine operating temps.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car over heating intermittently!!!!