Track day with LAPS Inc at Autobahn Country Club outside of Chicago.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Track day with LAPS Inc at Autobahn Country Club outside of Chicago.

I spent Monday pounding around Autobahn with LAPS. A great event. Plenty of seat time and beautiful weather. I had never been to this track before so I decided to run in the intermediate group. The course has 19 turns! I spent the first two sessions just trying to remember if I should be turning right or left.

A big thanks to a friend and fellow racer Josh Bilicki for being brave enough to jump in the car with me and show me around. Here are some videos. Sorry they are unedited. They are not really session 1 and 2 (I miss labeled them). I didn’t video 1 and 2 because I didn’t want anyone to see me fumbling around. These are sessions 3 and 4.

The track really flows with some great sections with connected corners. I didn’t really feel like turning off PSM. If I go back I will have to turn it off to get the most out of the car. You really need to be able to use the brake to rotate the car in several of the corners. I could feel PSM intervening. There were two long right handers(#2 and 19) that the car had a lot of understeer. Potentially you could get yaw set early on and keep it. Something to try later in the year.

As always the car is just awesome. Some understeer but it could be my worn front tires, tire pressure or PSM being on. I was able to catch and pass some fast cars running on much better tires.

Marc

Last edited by 998M; 06-04-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Great, thanks for posting.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing Marc!
I am right there with PSM too (other than running in Sport+ which increases a bit the threshold level of PSM). In a cheaper/older car, I find the limit and then dial it back a notch but I am not ready to do it with the 991 yet.
With a few other 991 friends, we are planning to rent a small track for a day in July (Little Talladega) that has lots of run offs and experiment so that we know our limits -surely lower than the car's- before we turn off PSM @ Road A.

BTW did yo attach the GoPro to your rear window with a simple suction cup? It appears to be remarkably stable.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Very cool! I know the track well. You did a great job.

Were you in Sport or Sport Plus? I couldn't tell if you were doing any manual shifting or not. What about the car set up? Stock brakes?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Marc sorry I didn't come chat, I forgot you were coming Mon. I was there for the first 3 sessions w/ the white 991TT, though I developed what I think is probably a boost leak at the end of the 2nd session and only did a lap on the 3rd to make sure it wasn't due to limp mode, which it wasn't. I dropped 8 seconds off my best lap last year in the 991S, which was remarkable to me (2:54 down to 2:46 per harry's). Frustrating that I couldn't do the whole day, though, and now the car's at the dealer trying to figure out what the issue is. No CE lights, very strange.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:24 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BradB
Very cool! I know the track well. You did a great job.

Were you in Sport or Sport Plus? I couldn't tell if you were doing any manual shifting or not. What about the car set up? Stock brakes?
Sport plus. Stock everything (brakes, tires etc.). I sometimes will shift manually but the car is better for the most part. I find there is a slight lag from when you pull the paddle to when the car shifts. I am often hitting the rev limiter. The car does a a great job. Every now and then I had to shift down one more gear because the car didn't.

Marc

Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by AJag
Marc sorry I didn't come chat, I forgot you were coming Mon. I was there for the first 3 sessions w/ the white 991TT, though I developed what I think is probably a boost leak at the end of the 2nd session and only did a lap on the 3rd to make sure it wasn't due to limp mode, which it wasn't. I dropped 8 seconds off my best lap last year in the 991S, which was remarkable to me (2:54 down to 2:46 per harry's). Frustrating that I couldn't do the whole day, though, and now the car's at the dealer trying to figure out what the issue is. No CE lights, very strange.
AJag, I saw you there. I apologize that I didn't stop over and say hello. I am normally much more outgoing. I just didn't really feel all that well.

Your Turbo is gorgeous. I admired it as you went flying by me.

Bummer to hear about the issue. Please keep us updated.

When is the next ACC track day? I would like to go back. I have to fix my understeer and get better a the track

Marc

Old 06-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks for sharing Marc!
I am right there with PSM too (other than running in Sport+ which increases a bit the threshold level of PSM). In a cheaper/older car, I find the limit and then dial it back a notch but I am not ready to do it with the 991 yet.
With a few other 991 friends, we are planning to rent a small track for a day in July (Little Talladega) that has lots of run offs and experiment so that we know our limits -surely lower than the car's- before we turn off PSM @ Road A.

BTW did yo attach the GoPro to your rear window with a simple suction cup? It appears to be remarkably stable.
Sport plus is really good but I think there are certain places where more yaw is needed. I was using a lot of curbs to get the car turned. Not the preferred method but I was enjoying myself. I passed an Audi and then probably gave him a view of the underside of my car.

I attached the GoPro with a GP suction to the back window. There are lighting issues sometimes because the car is so dark and outside is really bright. But I like being able to see what I am doing and often you can see the speeds. It is crazy to see me hitting 101 mph at the apex of the Kink at Road America. Not something I am brave enough to do while driving.

The day was windy and the buffeting was awful. I for got to try something to fix it.

Marc

Old 06-07-2014, 10:24 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
AJag, I saw you there. I apologize that I didn't stop over and say hello. I am normally much more outgoing. I just didn't really feel all that well.

Your Turbo is gorgeous. I admired it as you went flying by me.

Bummer to hear about the issue. Please keep us updated.

When is the next ACC track day? I would like to go back. I have to fix my understeer and get better a the track

Marc
No prob Marc, I saw your vids on youtube, you picked that track up quick! Far faster than I. Next ACC day w/ LAPS is 6/30 but I won't be there until the 7/14 w/ LAPS. When are you planning on coming back? I'm still waiting for the dealer to figure out the location of the leak, ugh.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
Looked like good fun! Wish I was there.