The problem with the Porsche pecieved image...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with the Porsche pecieved image...

A man is with his wife in my furniture store today. I spend an hour going over things with them and giving them prices on the items they are interested in. They don't like the prices....oh well.

The man says to me "Whose little sports car is that out there?" ..... and he points to my Porsche which is at the end of the row in the parking lot.

Unabashedly I say "That's mine".

Then he gets on his high horse and says "That's the reason these prices are so high, so you can drive a car like that. We're paying for it."

Very calmly I say to him "You're paying for quality made furniture, my choice of car is of no consequence."

He's not giving up : "There's a direct correlation to that $ 100,000 Porsche and the price charged to us, that's my point. You can AFFORD to buy that car because of what you charge people like us."

I eyeball his throat and imagine my hands around it...but still calmly say "How many employees do you see when you come here? None. The reason I can buy a car like that is because I do all the work here myself, and I have worked 6 days a week for the past 28 years. That car is the cost equivalent of one full time employee and I CHOOSE to have a heavier work load in lieu of store help. Does that explain that for you?"

He grumbles but now I'm pissed off....

"There are always alternative stores for you to shop at. You should feel comfortable that you are getting value for your money no matter where you shop - and if you believe my store is too expensive there are several made-in China furniture stores that will be in your price point about 10 miles south of here."

He was all done then.....and I was done with them as customers as well.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Sucks!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Good riddance D!
You just avoided a pain in the ar$e customer!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:51 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Should have suggested he go to walmart and buy some cheap plastic outdoor furniture..

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
There is clearly a problem with people who think that their money is paying for your luxuries

It sucks but perceptions are a reality and it's not just in your business it's extremely common in a whole bunch of situations

Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
What an ***.
Show him the door and move on.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
It takes all kinds, and not everybody appreciates the same things. For example, I don't appreciate diamonds in the same way I do a nice car. I was glad to spend what it took to get a 991, but could not imagine spending $100+k on a diamond.

DrCollie, those folks were never going to be customers regardless of the type of car you drove, and are not worth losing sleep over. Clearly you have a successful business and there are plenty of people who do appreciate the value of the quality furniture you sell.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:59 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John's 991
It takes all kinds, and not everybody appreciates the same things. For example, I don't appreciate diamonds in the same way I do a nice car. I was glad to spend what it took to get a 991, but could not imagine spending $100+k on a diamond. DrCollie, those folks were never going to be customers regardless of the type of car you drove, and are not worth losing sleep over. Clearly you have a successful business and there are plenty of people who do appreciate the value of the quality furniture you sell.
Yeah agree on the diamond thing..have had that discussion with several women..it's just a rock that doesn't do anything...then they usually tell me at least their rock will have value in 25 years when my car has none and has been recycled into a Toyota.

I'm not convinced

Old 06-07-2014, 02:12 PM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
I too run my own business and once in a while a potential client or a client thinks they can raise their voice at me and make unreasonable requests and complain about a variety of things. On several occasions I've reminded them that I simply choose not to tolerate that and tell them very kindly that unless they stop immediately they will simply never do business with me again. I remind them that I've run a successful business without them for several decades and will continue to do so. Not all business is good business. Hopefully they didn't waste too much of your valuable time.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Seems like you missed a chance to explain how you thought the 911was too expensive, when you were buying it , but you decided that the higher price was worth it for the quality, and how you are happier in the long run ; )

Old 06-07-2014, 03:07 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Good for you Doc!

This was funny...

Originally Posted by drcollie
I eyeball his throat and imagine my hands around it...

Old 06-07-2014, 03:27 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Now what I SHOULD have said (according to one of my pals who has a 991 as well) is:

"Actually I just lowered my prices since I sold my Aston Martin!"

<laughing> and I did just get out of my Aston back in March.....

Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
.....or

I got my eyes on a new Ferrari ...so you better buy now before I raise the prices.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Forget that guy. Way to keep your composure. Enjoy that 911!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
God forbid you make any money and have any success. You handled it better than I would have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The problem with the Porsche pecieved image...