tire pressure

Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
tire pressure

I have a 2017 Carrera with 20 inch wheels. tire pressure is set to recommended comfort settings. Today was 100 degrees outside and the rear pressure reached 51 psi and fronts were 41-42 psi, is this normal or should let some air out if this happens again?

thanks

Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
If you set your pressures correctly when the tires are truly cold you're good to go. Just sitting in the sun they'll rise considerably, and as your drive too. What are your cold pressures? 40s and 50s seem high though. Makes me think you're starting too high to begin with.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I run 20" wheels on my 4S. My cold temp settings are 31 front and 35 rear. Could go to 34 rear. Check where you are starting cold temp is you are possibly high.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:23 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Check your starting temps. How long since you checked them? I've seen 10lb difference based on outside temps when cold

Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
I checked them and they were too high when sent from dealer. Corrected to 34 front and 44 rear and now much better.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by akbjr
I checked them and they were too high when sent from dealer. Corrected to 34 front and 44 rear and now much better.

You should reset them to a 3-4 lb difference front to rear.

Dealers typically set the pressures to the factory recommended "fully loaded autobahn speed" settings. One presumes that is the "anti-liability" setting.

Those are way too high for normal use on US roads. If you set the cold pressure to around 32 front and 35 rear, it may grow when hot by up to about 5 lbs in each tire depending on the ambient temperature and in normal driving, and still be reasonable comfortable.

PS optimal handling is with the lower pressures: if tracking the car lower to that range whenever possible.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by akbjr
Obviously you can run whatever tire pressure you want. I have 305's on the rear of my 4S and my rear cold pressures are 35. Unless you drive the car with 4 passengers, loaded frunk and you personally are over 300 pounds then 44 is too high. Try the lower pressures and see if you notice a better ride and feel.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Set them cold. I wouldn't worry about their hot pressure as the tires and settings are all based on cold. I find the normal recommended pressures to be a bit harsh on choppy streets in my area, .. I do 35 front.. and 40 rear..

Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scatkins
Set them cold. I wouldn't worry about their hot pressure as the tires and settings are all based on cold. I find the normal recommended pressures to be a bit harsh on choppy streets in my area, .. I do 35 front.. and 40 rear..
I even find that harsh
2013 4S
20"
33 front
35 rear

Old 06-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Same here 2013 4S 20" MPSS 32 front 35 rear. Car handles and rides great

Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 PM
ronglos is an unknown quantity at this point
I just drove today from AZ to Northern CA and my fronts are 32 and rears are 36. Temps were as high as 114 and as low as 73 on the drive and my pressure showed 33 in the fronts and no change in the rears. Nitrogen in tires. I've had the Porsche 6 months and have never seen a change in pressure when checked cold. 2017 991.2 C4 20" tires.

Last edited by ronglos; 06-23-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-25-2017, 10:59 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I run about 33 psi front/39-41 psi rear on cold.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.