993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Hello (new guy here) and a 993TT question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Hello (new guy here) and a 993TT question

First, Hello.

This part of the post probably goes elsewhere, but...

I'm a car nut in the Seattle area. I don't own a Porsche but I intend to buy a 993TT in November of 2009. At that point, I should be settled into my next job, and out of grad school. Current Cars: VW Karmann Ghia '65, MB SLK 230 '99 Daily Driver, and Lotus Exige '06.

The last car is for dry weather drives and track days. When I buy the Turbo, I'll sell the SLK. It's a nice car but not a great car. I enjoy great cars. as for my Car guy politics here is where I stand:

1) F1 vs manual. Manual because it is harder to drive. F1 because it is faster.
2) NASCAR vs F1: What's NASCAR?
3) NASCAR vs ALMS: Refer to question 2.
4) Whats the best modification to a car? The driver's ability.

Ok, now for my question. I have been doing some research and I think I have settled on the top 3 cars that I will keep an eye on to purchase in Nov 2009. (i tend to over plan, indeed, I plan on it) They are, in order:

1) 993tt circa 1997
2) 996tt circa 2002
3) Noble M400 circa 2005

This car will be a DD that replaces my SLK. I prefer the AWD as it has benefits in the rain, which we tend to have from time to time in Seattle. Snow is uncommon and if it snowed, I am sure I'd find other things to do in the garage rather than go to work.

So, am I on track here? Would you recommend a different car? Is the 97 the right car to get? Considering I might sell this car sometime in the future, would you chose the 993 over the 996? What other things ought I consider?

Thanks guys,

Trevor

Old 11-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Dan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud of
Novermber 2009 you said ??

Old 11-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand why you need AWD in the NW. Yea, we get rain, but things are just wet, not big puddles all over the place.

My thoughts...
996 good DD, cheap, fast, conformable $
993 fast, last of a breed, connected, very sporty & raw $$$
Noble, a track car, that needs to be tamed. $$$$$

Your car selection is all over the place. In 2 years, the 996 tt, will be in the mid $30's the 993 will be in the $60's I have never sean a Noble for sale, or driving around in the NW. I'm guessing it's going to cost more then the 996 & 993.

For a DD, I'm going to say the 996, it's more modern, it's conformable, & very sporty. The 993 is much more paired down, & not as luxury as the 996. Of course, the Noble is a straight track car, & I'm guessing not the best DD. I also believe the Noble is just like the Lotus in ease of getting in & out, with interior comforts.

Go & drive them all, then decide what feels best for you.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dan98
Novermber 2009 you said ??

yup

Though I think I spelled it different than you?

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 11-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I don't understand why you need AWD in the NW. Yea, we get rain, but things are just wet, not big puddles all over the place.

My thoughts...
996 good DD, cheap, fast, conformable $
993 fast, last of a breed, connected, very sporty & raw $$$
Noble, a track car, that needs to be tamed. $$$$$

Your car selection is all over the place. In 2 years, the 996 tt, will be in the mid $30's the 993 will be in the $60's I have never sean a Noble for sale, or driving around in the NW. I'm guessing it's going to cost more then the 996 & 993.

For a DD, I'm going to say the 996, it's more modern, it's conformable, & very sporty. The 993 is much more paired down, & not as luxury as the 996. Of course, the Noble is a straight track car, & I'm guessing not the best DD. I also believe the Noble is just like the Lotus in ease of getting in & out, with interior comforts.

Go & drive them all, then decide what feels best for you.

I think I just prefer the AWD. So, what youa re saying is that the 996 will be dirt cheap and the benefit of that lower cost (and the subsequent economic profit) combined with the comfort of a 996, I might prefer the 996 over the 993?

I agree, Noble is probably more track car. In fact, what was I thinking? I'll move that off the list. i like your thought though on the 996 vs 993. I do have some attachment to the collectability of the 993. not sure if it is enough, but...

Thanks, I love the feed back.

Bleu

Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
I think I just prefer the AWD. So, what youa re saying is that the 996 will be dirt cheap and the benefit of that lower cost (and the subsequent economic profit) combined with the comfort of a 996, I might prefer the 996 over the 993?

I agree, Noble is probably more track car. In fact, what was I thinking? I'll move that off the list. i like your thought though on the 996 vs 993. I do have some attachment to the collectability of the 993. not sure if it is enough, but...

Thanks, I love the feed back.

Bleu

Yea, me to, all my cars are AWD.
Right now the 996tt is far cheaper then the 993. For what I paid for my 993 last month, I could have purchased a low MI, late model 996 TT. If you go before 2002, they get even cheaper. A driver 996 is in the $40's, while a driver 993 is still at least $60. I just see the 996 going down, do to the 997 looking so much more 911 like, compared to the 996.

Not that I don't like the 996, but the front end is Boxter, the interior is Boxter. I just don't see it holding up as a classic 911.

Go & drive a 993 & 996, they are not even close in any way shape of form. Everything is in different places, the cars feel different, they drive different, the 996 is bigger. However, the 996 is "faster" in just about every way.

I think it comes down more to what you want & how much you want to spend, imho, the 993 will be almost 2x the cost of the 996 by 2009. Then it's going to be hard to get a loan for the 993, as it will be at least 11yo & be at least 2x Blue Book. My car was just about 2x Blue Book & it was a problem my loan interest rate sucks!

If you want a 993, you just want the 993, I can't explain it. I think it is the sexiest Porsche ever except maybe a 550 spyder.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:46 PM
I agree. I prefer the style of the 993 over the 996 by a long ways.

I'll give my local dealer a ring and see if they can line up a 993 turbo and 996 turbo back to back test drive.

I'll only take a lone if they offer me a rate I can't refuse.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
kingkarmann is on a distinguished road
Have you ever visited this site? http://www.bader-racing.de/de/home/home.htm

Unfortunatly it's German Language but I suspect someone here can translate it

Best of both worlds. It's essentially a Karmann Ghia over a 993RS

Old 11-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by kingkarmann
Have you ever visited this site? http://www.bader-racing.de/de/home/home.htm

Unfortunatly it's German Language but I suspect someone here can translate it

Best of both worlds. It's essentially a Karmann Ghia over a 993RS

Incredible!!

That's in an entirely different budget world than I am allocating to my '65.

I intend to put about 13k into the Ghia to get it ready for a race series. Not sure yet which one, it may just be time attacks, but something.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
welcome!
Like someone else said, go drive them and see which one puts the biggest grin on your face.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Originally bought my 993TT (1997) as a daily driver. Before it even arrived here on transport, I decided to keep my (non-P car) daily driver for several reasons:

(1) Would likely kill the first person that gave me a door dent.
(2) Hard ride not conducive for road trips.
(3) It'd be stolen in the city in a second. (Sometimes a low profile is nice.)

These three points were instantly reaffirmed the moment I took possession of my 993TT. Glad it's not the work horse. My two cents.

DAVID

PS
If you *really* plan on using a 993TT or 996TT as a daily car, definitely suggest you go with the 996. It'll be harder to sell, but it's more comfy, cheaper to purchase, you can mod it without going instantly to hell (no flaming, please, just a personal opinion!).

Last edited by TorqueChap; 12-04-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Only gets stolen if you park it in the wrong area. I drive mine in daily, no issues.