996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dan, you already know my feelings on the stock box, and I applaud your efforts...

Why the hell we have to have pissing contests get started up about who invented what, is totally beyond me... The lid is NOT a full airbox, and used the stock OEM base, and incorporates, similar to other designs, the popular dual snorkle setup we all want...

It's MUCH CHEAPER than the other setups, and THAT appeals to me...I don't care who made it or what it looks like... It's going to have a very similar look, based on the limited space available...

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Does it in any way change the look of the Lid/Engine Cover from the outside?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
No where does it say we invented this, if you want to start a forum fight, please at least use exact words. Slow your roll man... your benevolent post is not needed. If you like it, say you like it, if you dont, say you dont. Nobody attacked you.
Look if you are going to post here you need to be able to take the comments. This is your quote
Well, Agency Power combined with Vivid Racing has developed the ultimate air intake system for the new age Porsche 996 Turbo owner.
Jeez that sure sounds like you invented it....lipstick on a pig! I feel this is mis-representation. I am fine with the product being cheaper, good job...no complaints here. Just don't suggest you invented this...I also don't think it is up to you to judge my posts thank you very much

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have posted here for 3 years and have done forums for 7 years. Thanks. I can sense your frustration after clicking on the link in your sig and seeing you have the Sportec. You took the early plunge. All good.

Thank you for using my actual words in a quote. Now people can see that NO where did the word invent come up. Thank you for doing that. I am a user, a human, an enthusiast, I can judge you as you judge me.

Adam - nothing is changed externally.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
wachuko is on a distinguished road
What about the missing seal? and when will these be available? Final price? Intro group by price in the works?

You guys need to stop.... my to-do mod list is growing out of proportion...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
wachuko is on a distinguished road
Never mind... read Jaime, read the complete post!!

"Included with the intake is the aluminum Agency Power badge and foam strips for a precise air tight seal from the snorkel to the box. If you already have a K&N filter, BMC filter, or other OEM replacement, you can opt to buy the intake without the filter for a reduced price.
We expect this intake to be available for sale starting October 1, 2008. For more information, please contact us."

I will be using the factory air filter... can you guys get a group buy started and offer some level of introductory price??

Last edited by wachuko; 09-11-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
No missing seal. The kit is supplied with a FOAM seal to use.

When the stock is available next week, we will release the official pricing and offering.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Nice work, Dan! It was a great idea to put this conversion kit together the way you did...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Quoting very famous person....."I invented the internet".

Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I did some self-education via Google..always dangerous, on OEM intake modifications to get more power that had pictures.

Maybe not a 996, but on a 944 turbo:

ca 1986 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/628708

No picture, but an US truck with dual snorkerl:
http://www.geocities.com/redexpressclub/lrehistory.html

And some pictures: one from a 1988 Trans AM by a person and one from this forum....

Because the idea is old, the idea of controlling it is much harder for Sportec. Dan did not invent it. Sportec did not invent it. They had a solution. A great one, but it is probably not going to be defensible in a court....and is likely not patentable....

Now, if Sportec lowered their price....

In the meantime, I would prefer if we all took the tone down a few notches. I don't consider the airbox an area where the "state of the art" is really applicable. It is not like a tune, engine building, turbocharger design and coating. Unfortunately, if you cut a hole out to the lid for the whole box, that would be the best...sort of like the Fabspeed one except getting it to only get "cold" air. If Fabspeed somehow did a funnel.....

In the end, let's not fight about this. I like the Sportec unit and from the time it came out to the present, I think it was clearly the best option. Now, I happen to think it is one of two good options for what "I" happen to want.

Jeff

Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
One last post and I'll shut up (stop the applause please) First you guys have way overblown the discussion Dan and I are having....you fail to see the humor in my posts? Second, I think it could have been handled very well if Dan just posted..."we took the 2 snorkel design and made it affordable" or something like that. Dan, you have no idea what I paid for my UMW intake nor whether I care. She does look pretty though. Oh and I am much older (respect your elders) and have been on this site longer as well.

Lastly, Dan it appears you have left some of the bracket between the snorkel opening and the slats in the deck lid. Why did you do this as it obviously reduces cold air flow?

Last edited by wross996TT; 09-11-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Dan, can I take 6 please, probably adds up to about the same value as the Sportec one

Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I like peace. And, Statman may actually have a minor improvement idea. I personally wnat to see how you have to cut into the plastic "under" the CF snorkel to get the air, or does it come off the fan? Just curious.

All is well it seems.

Jeff

Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Dan, is there a template for cutting the snorkle mount? And are there any other mods that have to be done? How about where the snorkle attaches? I am interested to purchase this.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Why is it that the engineers at Porsche in Germany did not think of this. I mean it seems so obvious, like it would produce more air flow. Or maybe it really doesn't and it is just the K&N filter that increases the flow.

I am always skeptical because with my M3 I tried all the different aftermarket CAI and none proved to be better than the stock despite their claims of 12-20 hp increase. These were all shown on a dyno graph as well. I did an experiment and tested the stock CAI vs K&N CAI and actually lost 12hp. This was done at an independent shop and dyno'd back to back just an hour apart.

I now need proof before I plop down my hard earned cash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!