996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tom kerr
looks like it will go well with my "duel ram air deck"
Hey Tom, I fixed your racing logo for you.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I think that what you saw was very expected... Theres more to this game than "cold air increase" = more power. If the air flow is increased, and the intake/exhaust/fuelmaps/timing tables/ other parameters aren't optimized to take advantage of that added air, you won't see that power...

But for guys like myself, who track their cars, and get 3.5mpg per run, we kinda like all the available reserve storage of air we can get our hands on!
Not so much for increased "power", but for "maintaining existing "power"...
Mike

Originally Posted by torresmd
I did three dyno runs back to back with my stock airbox, then bolted on the K&N CAI, an hour passed allowing the car to cool down then did three more runs and each run showed 10-12 loss in hp. Not a big deal and who really cares. I did this test for myself because I wanted to know.

I am just playing devils advocate. I also have an aftermarket CAI on my 996TT.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
BIGGER!!!
Mike

Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte

Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I think that what you saw was very expected... Theres more to this game than "cold air increase" = more power. If the air flow is increased, and the intake/exhaust/fuelmaps/timing tables/ other parameters aren't optimized to take advantage of that added air, you won't see that power...

But for guys like myself, who track their cars, and get 3.5mpg per run, we kinda like all the available reserve storage of air we can get our hands on!
Not so much for increased "power", but for "maintaining existing "power"...
Mike
I actually think what I saw was very unexpected. I agree that there is much more to this game than more air equals more power. I mean who would have thought that you would loose more power with a bolt on CAI. No where did K&N say that in order to get the advertised power gain you need a software tune. I had the intake on for several weaks, I imagined it to feel faster, it was louder and I was convinced that I had gained hp but I actually lost hp. BTW I was not the only one to prove this on an idependent dyno.

I am not trying to argue, just stating the unexpected facts.

I am also not trying to cast a negative light on Vivid's new intake. It looks great. I have just learned over the years of modifying cars to be skeptical. I am skeptical of any product weather it comes from Vivid, Evoms or whoever.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by torresmd
I actually think what I saw was very unexpected. I agree that there is much more to this game than more air equals more power. I mean who would have thought that you would loose more power with a bolt on CAI. No where did K&N say that in order to get the advertised power gain you need a software tune. I had the intake on for several weaks, I imagined it to feel faster, it was louder and I was convinced that I had gained hp but I actually lost hp. BTW I was not the only one to prove this on an idependent dyno.

I am not trying to argue, just stating the unexpected facts.

I am also not trying to cast a negative light on Vivid's new intake. It looks great. I have just learned over the years of modifying cars to be skeptical. I am skeptical of any product weather it comes from Vivid, Evoms or whoever.

I think you are right. It looks great. It exactly what my attempt at a dual snorkel system would have looked like had I been able to make something so nicely....

We'll just have to wait for some 60-130 times I guess. One car. Traqmate data, perhaps a tip to make the shifting less of a variable or we all agree to not actually shift gears at all....and see what we see.

I vote that Dan supply Tom Kerr a unit ASAP at some special price since Tom has always been a Vivid supporter on a race car and we let Tom do the testing.

No matter what....

it sure looks super.

I still believe what some of the tuners have told me...the stock box is quite good. So this probably cannot be a bad thing...I cannot imagine it hurting performance, but I am not an engine intake engineer, that is for sure.

Anyone else vote?

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-12-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
good idea jcp

Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
If this isn't what the 996 TT needs, why does the the 997 TT have exactly the same ?, Dan, we salute you especially saving costs by bolting on the OEM airbox filter holder, lets just get the costs down and find some way to ram more air into it from the outside too, Brilliant !

Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Dan, any MAF blowing problems with this intake?

Old 09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
dan, have you figured what they will sell for?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte

ok I like that!!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:14 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I think you are right. It looks great. It exactly what my attempt at a dual snorkel system would have looked like had I been able to make something so nicely....

We'll just have to wait for some 60-130 times I guess. One car. Traqmate data, perhaps a tip to make the shifting less of a variable or we all agree to not actually shift gears at all....and see what we see.

I vote that Dan supply Tom Kerr a unit ASAP at some special price since Tom has always been a Vivid supporter on a race car and we let Tom do the testing.

No matter what....

it sure looks super.

I still believe what some of the tuners have told me...the stock box is quite good. So this probably cannot be a bad thing...I cannot imagine it hurting performance, but I am not an engine intake engineer, that is for sure.

Anyone else vote?

Jeff
on its way and let ya know, will be at Sebring three times and Daytona twice in the next several months.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Tom,

That is superb...glad this worked out. I figured you have the telemetry/data collection stuff...and in your tail that thing will look superb too.

Thanks for taking on my idea to have an expert driver with a data collecting car "test" this. Hope you're not mad at me for "volunteering you."

Jeff

Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Hey guys. Yes the product will retail for $600. That means street price is $540 without the filter.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Dan , that is a great price. I commend you for your ability to price it that low. Do consider some of the suggestions I brought forth. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM
chenshan is a jewel in the roughchenshan is a jewel in the roughchenshan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vividracing
Hey guys. Yes the product will retail for $600. That means street price is $540 without the filter.
That's a great price

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!