996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BOS & CA sales tax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
BOS & CA sales tax

Hey guys,

Would like your respected opinions. Purchased an 02' 996TT last September (yikes!) and have a blank BOS from the dealer in TX I bought it from. What is a reasonable price to use as to not raise suspiscion and also, ethically, not to feel extremely guilty of denying our broke state of a couple grand. Actual purchase price was $44K. Curious also I suppose, if anyone feels this is wrong. My wife and I pay half our salaries to the government, so do not feel like they are not getting thier money to give me good roads to drive on..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doktordyper
Hey guys,

Would like your respected opinions. Purchased an 02' 996TT last September (yikes!) and have a blank BOS from the dealer in TX I bought it from. What is a reasonable price to use as to not raise suspiscion and also, ethically, not to feel extremely guilty of denying our broke state of a couple grand. Actual purchase price was $44K. Curious also I suppose, if anyone feels this is wrong. My wife and I pay half our salaries to the government, so do not feel like they are not getting thier money to give me good roads to drive on..
I would put it between $15-20k. Yes, I am serious. Everyone I know does this, whether it is a $5k car or a $50k car. When I am shopping for cars via private party, most of the sellers offer without solicitation to put a much lower amount on the BOS. This is not policed.

Last edited by flash68; 02-23-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
supercup is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

Now that you posted this I would not do it for any amount other than what you posted. But if you are so inclined to save a few bucks I would use Kelly blue book trade in value in fair condition - it will match up against the computer test and most likely not raise any red flags.

I have had the DMV send me letters 2 times in the past 5 years when I sold a truck and a 911 and the buyer put down a very low number. The letter simply asked that I verify the number I received. Keep that in mind, there is always a paper trail to follow if they feel like it.

JCM

Last edited by supercup; 02-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by supercup
Now that you posted this I would not do it for any amount other than what you posted. But if you are so inclined to save a few bucks I would use Kelly blue book trade in value in fair condition - it will match up against the computer test and most likely not raise any red flags.

I have had the DMV send me letters 2 times in the past 5 years when I sold a truck and a 911 and the buyer put down a very low number. The letter simply asked that I verify the number I received. Keep that in mind, there is always a paper trail to follow if they feel like it.

JCM
What happens if the seller ignored the forms from the DMV?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by supercup

JCM
Interesting.... never heard of that happening.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 AM
stevo996tt is on a distinguished road
i never heard as well, usually putting any amount over 15k is good

Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 AM
thanks for the feedback everyone. The number I had in mind was in the $10k - $15k range....

Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Disclaimer: I'm a lawyer, but I'm not YOUR lawyer.

Not the brightest move to create a paper trail here. Willful tax evasion is punishable with prison time. Is a grand worth jail time to you? Granted, it's very unlikely that you'll get caught, but the juice doesn't seem like it's worth the squeeze in this case.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
seal grey, thanks for pointing out the fact that willful tax evasion is illegal. Do you actually think someone on this forum would actually break the law and risk prison time? In all seriousness, I was waiting for a lawyer to weigh in with your exact response, and you did not dissapoint, THANK YOU!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Everyone knows it's illegal, not everyone knows you get jail time. Lots of people think you just pay a fine and move on. Just making sure you go into this with eyes open. Carry on.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
mdd
mdd is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,
Would like your respected opinions. .... Curious also I suppose, if anyone feels this is wrong. .
I've never commented on anything like this before but since you asked, of course I think it's wrong. As Seal Grey pointed out, its illegal and you could go to jail. It can't be justified no matter how you look at it or by how much you already paid in income tax. Whether you get caught or not, its still stealing. Pay the tax and move on.
Since you have now made a public record of the actual sale price and your intent to evade the tax, you would have a really difficult time in front of a judge.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
If it sounds too low, they will flag it for review.

02 Porsche for $10K, it will be flagged....

I'd go for $30K to be safe.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I would just pay the tax, move on, and be worry free... exactly what I did. It is one of those that it will probably nothing happen and no one will ask; but if someone asks, you'll wish you'd have never done it.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I would just pay the tax, move on, and be worry free... exactly what I did. It is one of those that it will probably nothing happen and no one will ask; but if someone asks, you'll wish you'd have never done it.
+1

Cant drive in prison...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
shaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud of
just register it in Nevada for a year and then register it in CA next year and pay NO tax.