996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shave or roll rear fenders - Pros and cons of each

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Shave or roll rear fenders - Pros and cons of each

Just wanted to share some thoughts on what I learned about fender rolling/shaving over the years as preparation to fit my rear wheels, I'm 100% certain I'll need to make some more clearance on my rear fenders.

I've had fenders rolled and shaved in other cars before and here are some pros and cons that I have come up with. Feel free to add any on the list!

Shaved fenders

Pros:

• Much more clearance than stock
  • More flexibility on running various wider tires/rims
  • Able to have your rear wheel flush with fender
Cons:
  • Need to be very careful when cutting the metal
  • Need to add sealant on bare metal after shaving
  • No support to hold up fender lining
  • Weakens the rear structure in case of an accident (that's what my body shop said)
Rolled fenders

Pros:

• No need to take a metal blade to your car
Cons:
  • May have buckling in the fender
  • Paint may crack
  • Not as many options to run wider rims/tires
I have seen people with rolled fenders that are pretty much shaved but I don't know how they did that without damaging the paint/fender.

What are your thoughts on rolled/shaved?

I think I'm going to have mine shaved so I can get that flushed look.

Here's a pic of my daily with shaved fronts and rears. Biggest problem was the fender lining had nothing to hold it up...so I have to shave that too

Edwin

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Just buy wheels with the correct offset and there will be no need for fender adjustments.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Just buy wheels with the correct offset and there will be no need for fender adjustments.
Paulie,

I could've gone that route but I want my rear wheels to sit flush, hence why I need to get my fenders rolled.

Edwin

Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM
albuht813 is on a distinguished road
Unless you have selected wheels that you absolutely MUST have, I would favor leaving the fenders alone.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by albuht813
Unless you have selected wheels that you absolutely MUST have, I would favor leaving the fenders alone.
I think that is the situation. What do you think then?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 PM
albuht813 is on a distinguished road
If you've got the wheels you want, then go for the shaving. The fender rolling is hardly worth paying the body guy for minimal gains.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Definitely roll. It's so easy with a 2lb mallet with some duct tape on the striking end.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I had my fenders rolled and here it what was used http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...PROLLER2&ID=52

Take your time and none of your Cons come into play.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ari
Definitely roll. It's so easy with a 2lb mallet with some duct tape on the striking end.
Originally Posted by Gunther
I had my fenders rolled and here it what was used http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...PROLLER2&ID=52

Do you guys have pictures of what your fenders look like? Thanks

Edwin

Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Gunther

Thats the same tool (maybe branded differently) that Lawell Motorsports used to roll my rears. I gained maybe a little over 1/8". For the wheels I had it still wasn't enough (car also lowered 1.25"). The other partial solution would have been stouter springs or not dropping it so much.
Glad I got rid of those wheels none the less, the offsets were to far from stock to be practical (looked great though)!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by boss351
Thats the same tool (maybe branded differently) that Lawell Motorsports used to roll my rears. I gained maybe a little over 1/8". For the wheels I had it still wasn't enough (car also lowered 1.25"). The other partial solution would have been stouter springs or not dropping it so much.
Glad I got rid of those wheels none the less, the offsets were to far from stock to be practical (looked great though)!
Adam,

How are you my friend? The more and more I think about it, I plan on shaving them just to make sure I have ample clearance.

Edwin

Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Hey Edwin, I am doing fine..

I think there are likely downsides rolling going for the max. If you go too far it feels like there are welds in the inside of the fender that will eventually push through to leave an uneven outside surface.

On the other hand, I have no experience with shaving the fenders, good luck on that one! I am sure your car is going to look great when done though.

Get some good before/after shots.

This is what my car looked like with the over-filled rears, I'd rub the outsides of the tyres on heavy cornering and bump roads. And that was after rolling the fenders also..

Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks for the pics Adam. Slate grey looks sweet! I'll post pics of the shave after get it done.

Edwin

Old 05-22-2009, 09:59 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I can't believe there is even a discussion about this. If done properly and with a little care, fender rolling is a non issue. I would never shave the fenders. That is amateur.

Fender rolling has come a long ways since the days when we used to take aluminum bats and roll them up. Now there are some really nicely built fender rolling tools that do perfect, even jobs. You will need to heat up the fender with a heat gun but make sure not to get to close and hot. Just enough to warm up the paint. Any respectable wheel shop should have a fender rolling tool. They have been around for over 10 years.

Unless you have some crazy aggressive set up, fender rolling will do the trick for 99% of the wheel/tire fitments on your turbo.