996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY Head Light Switch Remove and Replace

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Cool writeup. I just did this with a different guide the other month, your's is better . It was an easy process though, definately a DIY and get a used part off ebay! Saves a lot of $.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by randomquickness
could those who've cleaned with MAF post a pic showing exactly where to spray? My switch is starting to act up and I have a can of MAF cleaner in the garage.
Just my two cents -- I'd replace it. It's really inexpensive and simple and you don't want to get caught far from home without lights.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
What's the best place to buy it? Suncoast?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:10 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
That's where I bought mine.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
Just bought a new switch from Suncoast. It came to $103 with shipping. I imagine my old one will be fine with some maf spray on the contacts. If anyone would like it just pm me.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
What's the best place to buy it? Suncoast?
I got the entire used switch on ebay used for $35. It's the same part as even the Boxster uses. Just popped it right it and it works perfect.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
If I recall from reading the other thread about it, it's the same as a VW part for like $25-30 bucks on ebay. I'm going to try the MAF cleaning fluid on mine. All of my lights work except the Xenon's. Sometimes, it takes a bit for them to turn on, other times, I have to toggle the switch left and right a few times to get them to turn on. But all my other lights come on fine, parking lights, fog lights, etc. Only the xenons come on late. There was one day though where they turned off while driving for about half an hour with them on... kinda hairy but a quick toggle and they came back on.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM
finished up the switch replacement. Thanks to this DIY there was no guess work and it went pretty smooth! Thanks OP!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM
rlougee is on a distinguished road
Intermittent Light Switch DIY - more pics

Originally Posted by braj28
Thanks for the great write up.

I had my light switch intermittently not work and was going to order another part when I remembered that I had the MAF cleaning stuff I had bought. So i sprayed the contacts of the switch and down the tube of the switch and reconnected the **** and tuned it around in all the light positions to allow the liquid to clean within the switch assembly.

After letting the switch dry I reconnected everything and the lights now are working great.

So if you have the MAF cleaning stuff give it a try and the switch might come back to life.
You guys ROCK. My lights were intermittent. I used the MAF Cleaner and fixed it for $6 and it took an hour. Saved me the price of a new switch. LIghts work perfect every time.
I took some more pics to show a bit more detail and how the AC vent attaches to the dash. Pull out the vent feels like you are going to break it. When I did it I wished I knew where the connection points were. Here are some pics.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Light Switch cleaning.pdf (195.9 KB, 882 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
rlougee is on a distinguished road
Where to spray

could those who've cleaned with MAF post a pic showing exactly where to spray? My switch is starting to act up and I have a can of MAF cleaner in the garage.
I just posted some pics. I did this last weekend. Works great. No more problem. Look back at the original post about using MAF. I replied to that thread.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 AM
spb
spb will become famous soon enough
Thanks smistry007, for this great post!

Just tackled this issue on my -03 tt this morning. It took about 45 minutes including tools in and out from the storage. And probably 20 minutes of that gathering courage to use enough force to pull the vent out.

Also thanks to rlougee, without your comment I would have probably not found the courage even after those 20 minutes.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Matthiew is on a distinguished road
I also just tackled this... finally. Cleaned with quick drying electrical contact cleaner. Seems to be working great. It does feel like your going to tear the dash out when removing but one caveat it goes back in very easy to don't push on it just get your fingers behind it and get it lined up. It slides right back in. Great post saved a bundle over dealer or indy thanks all.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM
drug delivery will become famous soon enough
This nut is 24 mm. An adjustable wrench will do the trick too. This is an easy DIY. Just go done in about 15 minutes.

But now my little parking lights are not working. Odd they'd both burn out at once. Hopefully this isn't another issue.

Originally Posted by smistry007
5- remove nut around light switch

Last edited by drug delivery; 08-09-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
RobboT is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Did this on Saturday to my 2001 Carrera 4. I only cleaned the switch, didn't replace it. The switch is working perfectly now.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM
JG GT500 will become famous soon enough
Going to try the cleaning solution first.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Head Light Switch Remove and Replace