996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY Head Light Switch Remove and Replace

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by olwe
As usual this group helped me out. Than you.

The full leather interior causes the bezel to fit very tightly into the outer ring. Without the pictures in this thread I would never have dared to apply as much pressure as was required to remove the bezel.
i had the same problem with the glue from the leather preventing removal of the bezel. While I was messing with it, the round piece of plastic/film that goes in front of the little light bulbs inside that indicate switch position popped off. It is just glued on. With that off, it was easy to grab the bezel from the inside and pop it out without risking damage. The plastic cover piece was then just pressed back in place afterwards.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
My instrument dials stay dark, when turning the lights on. The displays work just fine. Any clues?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Check the three connectors into your cluster - sounds like a missing connector.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Hey thx,

what you mean with cluster? What do i need to do and check where?
Where are the connectors?

Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Hey thx,

what you mean with cluster? What do i need to do and check where?
Where are the connectors?
The cluster has three connectors that attach from the back. It is simple enough to remove (There is a screw behind the hazard switch. Another on the left behind the little plastic cap). The cluster slides out toward the passenger side. It won't go far because of the connectors. You can see them best by looking through the windshield. Your symptoms sound like one of the connectors is not fully seated. They are rachetted - they don't just pull out - so be careful.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Ok, cool. Thx alot.
Understood. Found a DIY fpr the removal of the cluster.
https://rennkit.com/wp-content/uploa...er-removal.pdf

Fingers crossed that its just a connector.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Luckily it was just the fuse...never had thought of this. Changed it and bang, everything worked just fine.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:02 AM
Pacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to all
This thread is fantastic. Was having issues on my 01 C4 (headlights only, fogs worked fine). Did the cleaning method and so far so good! Super easy DIY thanks for everyone's contribution to this!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:44 AM
Defeygs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by braj28
Thanks for the great write up.

I had my light switch intermittently not work and was going to order another part when I remembered that I had the MAF cleaning stuff I had bought. So i sprayed the contacts of the switch and down the tube of the switch and reconnected the **** and tuned it around in all the light positions to allow the liquid to clean within the switch assembly.

After letting the switch dry I reconnected everything and the lights now are working great.

So if you have the MAF cleaning stuff give it a try and the switch might come back to life.
12 years after you took the time to share this, it saved me hundreds of dollars, prevented lot's of ignorance-driven damage to my dashboard and gave me a great feeling of accomplishment when I fixed it. Sincere thank you to everyone who took the time to share!