996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need a new Clutch for 850 whp+ Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Need a new Clutch for 850 whp+ Recommendations?

Got some slippage on my current clutch set up. Its time for a new one.

Curently I am running: A sachs pressure plate modified for high clamping force by clutchmasters. Also have a single stock 997 disk with Fiber Tuff material on both sides. The fiber tuff was supposed to be the bext option for a stock feel. It does chatter when it engages some, but it is not as "ON" "OFF" like a full race clutch. I want to replace this clutch either with the same setup or something that will hold up better.

With the new clutch, I want to try to minimize chatter and want clutch to engage as smoothly as possible and try to curb that "ON" or "OFF" - sudden "GRAB" feel.

Any suggestions for a clutch that will give the best of both worlds to hold the HP and to use it as a daily driver?

Want it to hold atleast 850whp - 1000 whp in case more mods are done in the future.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
If you are willing to shed out the money the Tilton is probably the best driving clutches that I've EVER had. Anyone who has actually driven one will tell you the same. But the problem is they are also a lot of $$$ up front, but are CHEAP to rebuild. They are good for 1300+rwtq.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have the Tilton... lots of $$$ but you get what you pay for... had the ATS but eventually went out...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
+1 for the tilton.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Dan - You've never driven, o0r owned a car with a Tilton in it I assume ?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
What Tilton setup specifically? Is there a name and is it a twin disk?

Any idea on where they are sold at a good price?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Keith - I am confident after knowing your setup, seeing the 60-130s (and making HP and TQ guestimates from them) that the Tilton is the only clutch that will last and be drivable comfortably in your car. It is expensive, but it's one of those items you get what you pay for. We've sold well over 150 triple carbons for various cars from 600whp - 1600whp and never had a complaint other than the cost (which I don't agree with either, but given it's track record it's cheap in the long run when making big power).

The Tilton you will want is a triple carbon, there are ceramic and metallic clutch packs available, but none are advised for a street car. If you hear someone talking negatively about this setup, chances are it's because they were running one of these clutch packs. The triple carbons love heat and grip better as they are slipped, making them the ultimate drag / street race clutch.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
I highly doubt that the clutchmasters can beat the Tilton.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I bet it will last and be more streetable. Bet the cost of it as free.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor
Best of luck with that, Markski and myself argued about this some time ago. The results speak for themselves.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor
I will have CM warranty this for a year. That is how confident we are in the kit. CM has done their homework comparing the product to Tilton. There are many benefits to CM. This includes not having to convert your car whether a 996TT or 997TT to use the GT2 slave. Larger discs for better surface area and less expensive disc replacement cost that also last longer based on the material. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Hands down Tilton, the clutch is amazing better then stock feeling and holds anything you throw at it. Buy it first because you will end up buying it after the others fail.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
unfortunately i am not at this level and cannot comment truthfully, But i do have the Carbonetics triple carbon and still feels amazing after 40+ track passes and I cant count the amount of street races.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Art just put the ATS Carbonetics to the test. I have one too. Great clutch, but the other two are also a good choice. Price may be the decision point. Here is a picture of my triple disk carbon composit that weights 27lbs total. That is the clutch, LWFW and pressure plate.

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need a new Clutch for 850 whp+ Recommendations?