996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to remove console switch blanks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
How to remove console switch blanks?

Does anyone know the trick to removing the switch blanks on the console (beside ash tray)? I have nice new switches to put in there, but the blanks are in so tight, I don't want to break the mounts getting them out.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
Does anyone know the trick to removing the switch blanks on the console (beside ash tray)? I have nice new switches to put in there, but the blanks are in so tight, I don't want to break the mounts getting them out.
I changed my rear center console out for an arctic silver unit and if Im remember correctly there is a screw under the ash tray and then the complete assembly just snaps out of the console. It is pretty tight though! Then just unplug the harness!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Great Pics and mods, but how do you get the blanks out? I can get the console out with no difficulty, but the switch blanks are in very tight. Is there a secret spot to push to get them to eject?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
Great Pics and mods, but how do you get the blanks out? I can get the console out with no difficulty, but the switch blanks are in very tight. Is there a secret spot to push to get them to eject?
Again, tight fit. They just pop out when pushing from the front.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
Again, tight fit. They just pop out when pushing from the front.
That's right. Push harder. When you have it apart you can also see when pushing, you can move one of the corner spears of the blank toward the center. Once you've unhooked one corner of the blank, it'll come out easy.

Last edited by jjbravo; 05-24-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Yep, got them off no problem... The trick with the blanks is to pull the two posts towards the middle and the side with the posts pops off. Then it's easy to push the whole switch out the bottom.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 AM
TDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really nice
does anybody have the part # i need some

Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TDarby
does anybody have the part # i need some
Here's some links

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...311910A05.html

http://www.pcars.com/porsche_parts/s.../p_146532.html

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Be careful when ordering... They have both glossy and non-glossy blanks. Make sure you specify what you need. Even though I specified what car it was for - they sent me the wrong ones.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
TDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really nice
thanks

Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Keithe is an unknown quantity at this point
No need for brute force

The blanks come out from the bottom - they do not push up through the top.

There are two sides to the blanks. One side has long arms; these are useful at step 2b.

Step 1. Remove the ash tray by: flip the lid and pull that tray out. Then remove the assembly that holds the blanks and window swiches by unscrewing the two 'star' screws. Then pull off the cable that feeds the tiny lamp (so you can see the underside of the unit and more easily gain access to the underside).

Step 2. a) I inserted a small blade up the side without the long arms. Then I pushed the blank from the top whilst b) easing the long arms inwards. The blanks are held in place near the top by very small lugs and it is by effectively squeezing the undersides of the blank together that you may release the blank.

I then snap fitted heated seat switches one at a time simply by offering them up and once I was happy they were aligned I pushed up until they snapped into place.

Step 3. Refit the lamp feed and I checked the electric windows before putting everything back in place.

Ta da!

CARE!

PLEASE be very careful not to scratch the surrounding (in my car's case) light grey trim which appears to be grey paint on black plastic!

I do hope this helps.

Keith

Originally Posted by jjbravo
That's right. Push harder. When you have it apart you can also see when pushing, you can move one of the corner spears of the blank toward the center. Once you've unhooked one corner of the blank, it'll come out easy.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:55 PM
eturj is an unknown quantity at this point
I found it's actually very simple:
insert a flat blade screw driver into the notch between the bottom of the black button & top edge of the frame around the blank button. Then push down on the screw driver handle, prying up the bottom of the button.

The button snaps in at the bottom, out the back away from frame. Very little pressure. See picture:

(Thought I'd put an updated answer & picture in this thread because it's the first article specifically about blank removal in Google.)