996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Doesn't Start--Probably the Starter Failed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM
altezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to behold
Porsche Doesn't Start--Probably the Starter Failed

My '01 Turbo doesn't start. Guess I won't be enjoying the ride this holiday weekend. I had AAA come out and try a jump start and tested the battery. The battery tested fine without issues at 12.72V.

Seems to be a starter issue. Any easy way to diagnose or replace the starter? I did notice that it was very difficult to depress the clutch all the way down when I couldn't start the engine. Never had issues pressing the clutch all the way down before. Seems like if the clutch isn't fully engaged, the engine won't turn over. I wonder if this is related to the starter?

I will have to tow it to a shop next week to get it fixed. How much would a starter replacement cost at a shop?

Thanks ...

Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Wonder if the clutch switch isn't getting pushed if the clutch pedal wont go down easily... I know in my car I have to have the pedal pushed all the way down (I mean all the way!) or it won't start.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
To bypass pressing the clutch with foot:
There's a clutch switch on the top right of the pedal housing under the dash. Mine is gray in color. It has a metal tab that needs to be depressed by the pedal when fully engaged. Make sure your car is in neutral and reach under the dash, depress the metal contact point with finger (you'll hear an audible click) and then turn the key to start the car. It should start right up if all else is working.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Good advice so far.

WHen you say "engine wont turn over", do you mean "wont start" or "won't turn over"

So you turn the key and click-click, but that's it??

Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 AM
altezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to beholdaltezza1976 is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys thanks for the good advice.

Page: Where is the clutch switch? I must be blind cause I don't see anything. LOL.. Do you have a picture or drawing?

Ard: Actually I don't even hear anything when I turn the key.

The clutch is extremely difficult to depress. There is heavy resistance when depressing the clutch. I have to exert extreme force to try and depress the clutch. Under normal operating conditions, the clutch is always easy to depress.

Some more background on the problem. This exact problem actually occurred in the past. Exact same symptoms. I couldn't fully depress the clutch because of heavy resistance. The last time it happened I thought that it was the battery. I connected my other car battery to jump start the Porsche battery. As soon as the jumper cables were connected, I noticed that I was able to easily depress the clutch and there was no resistance. Once the clutch was depressed, I was able to start the car.

Any other suggestions to check? Thanks Much..

Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
There is a picture of the switch on this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ng-clutch.html

Seems to be a different problem here. You mention the clutch is hard to operate when the engine is stop, that can be due to a faulty accumulator. But in any case you should be able to fully depress the clutch pedal to make the contact on the clutch switch. You also mention that when you got the battery jump the clutch suddenly became easy to depress.... I don't see the relation since the clutch system is entirely mechanical and hydraulic....

Last edited by jpflip; 09-04-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Add comments....
Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM
jpflip: Thanks for the thread link. You were correct..probably a mechanical issue. I tried the procedure but the engine still didn't start. The clutch still has extremely heavy resistance. Not sure why the last time the problem occurred, a simple jump start resolved the issue. The jump start immediately made the clutch easy to depress again.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
when you turn the key do all the lights in the car and dash light up?

its been a while since ive driven my car but i beleive there is a volt meter on the dash what does it read?

if you have power and the car does not try to start at all there is something preventing it, IE ignition switch(where you put your key in) or the clutch switch not getting depressed or a fuse

Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
now the hard to depress clutch is another issues sounds like its time to get a new clutch accumulator

Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I recently had an issue that may be similar. Turn the key, dash lights go on, I can hear the ignition switch click, but no engagement of the starter. First thin I checked was the clutch switch, using an ohmmeter. It was working fine. Eventually, I found that one of the wires on the starter solenoid had lost the nut that holds it in place.

To check this, put the car on jackstands, and look at the starter, which is on the passenger side of the engine at the flywheel. Almost directly above the cross-brace that runs diagonally. There is a plastic cover that slides off, revealing the two posts on the solenoid. There should be two wires on the larger post, and one on the smaller. Check also for corrosion. Please disconnect the negative battery cable before you start moving the wires around.

Jon

Old 11-24-2016, 06:38 AM
Turboslacker is an unknown quantity at this point
What was the resolution to this issue? I am having the exact same problem. I just got a 2002 996 Turbo (my first Porsche with 6 cylinders) last week and this is really bumming me out.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:02 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Turboslacker
What was the resolution to this issue? I am having the exact same problem. I just got a 2002 996 Turbo (my first Porsche with 6 cylinders) last week and this is really bumming me out.
looks like the post above you had a resolution. if you need a starter i have a good used spare and dont live to far away from n. ga.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Turboslacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the offer! But it looks like I got lucky and my issue was the Clutch Switch. I bypassed the clutch switch, problem solved and have one more thing to be thankful for today. It is great to know that there is such a great knowledge base for these cars in this forum. My other fun car is a Porsche 914 and 914world has been a life saver on multiple occasions. I'm looking forward to 996 Turbo experience. So far the car just blows my mind.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Just had the same thing with my new to my 6TT. Turned out the floormat had ridden too far up and was blocking the clutch switch. I thought I was having immobilizer issues but called Porsche and the first thing he had me do was remove the floormat and presto!!