996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New to 996 Market

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Legacy_NYC will become famous soon enough
New to 996 Market

Hello I am new to the market and looking for a 996 turbo, I have done my research but wanted to know from true enthusiasts and owners is there anything I should look out for in particular. Thanks in Advance! Sorry messed up the thread title

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-12-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Fixed title
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
buy a car un molentested or with tuning from who you trust.

if you get a car with parts on it from a supplier who is known for bad customer service your setting yourself up for an interesting adventure.

the normal things, 2nd gear pop out , over rev data all these things can be found in multiple buyers guide thread though.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
If you've done your research, there are no real surprises. Pay for a thorough PPI before buying and be aware of the "normal" issues as mentioned above (including rear spoiler malfunction, which is pretty common). They are solid and well made cars, but common sense still applies. Best wishes!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
Off the bat for my car when I bought it, it had the following "annoying problems"

- intermittent working microswitches for rear spoiler. (Not broken or leaking, just giving me error message - Not fixed yet. Not that annoying)

- Difficult to turn key which kept leaving "Key In Ignition" messages (Fixed using Audi part)

- Squeaky Windshield Problem (Fixed using windshield gasket)

- Bleeding Climate Control LCD (Fixed using Audi part)

Things that I looked out for:

- 2nd Gear Pop-Out Issue

- Louder than usual IMS noise (The 996tt I bought has almost no IMS noise at idle)

- I chose a car that had been repainted slightly (owner wanted to have a perfect/bumper/hood to show prospective buyers). The rest of the car had completely stock paint.

Don't settle for just any 996TT. They are all different depending on how well the previous owners took care of them. Mine came with all previous service records and had dates written on each part by the techs who worked on the vehicle. For example the replaced fuel pump says "1/10 replaced". The extra love and care by the previous owner shows in the body condition and the interior. I paid a little more for my TT (45k) than I should have (with no CPO) but aside from a few door dings and panel dings (4 total), the car was perfect.

If you're in the NYC area I can help you out with any cars that you are looking at locally. It's not as thorough as a PPI, but I may be able to weed out a few cars that have glaring deficiencies.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by @l996
Off the bat for my car when I bought it, it had the following "annoying problems"

- intermittent working microswitches for rear spoiler. (Not broken or leaking, just giving me error message - Not fixed yet. Not that annoying)

- Difficult to turn key which kept leaving "Key In Ignition" messages (Fixed using Audi part)

- Squeaky Windshield Problem (Fixed using windshield gasket)

- Bleeding Climate Control LCD (Fixed using Audi part)

Things that I looked out for:

- 2nd Gear Pop-Out Issue

- Louder than usual IMS noise (The 996tt I bought has almost no IMS noise at idle)

- I chose a car that had been repainted slightly (owner wanted to have a perfect/bumper/hood to show prospective buyers). The rest of the car had completely stock paint.

Don't settle for just any 996TT. They are all different depending on how well the previous owners took care of them. Mine came with all previous service records and had dates written on each part by the techs who worked on the vehicle. For example the replaced fuel pump says "1/10 replaced". The extra love and care by the previous owner shows in the body condition and the interior. I paid a little more for my TT (45k) than I should have (with no CPO) but aside from a few door dings and panel dings (4 total), the car was perfect.

If you're in the NYC area I can help you out with any cars that you are looking at locally. It's not as thorough as a PPI, but I may be able to weed out a few cars that have glaring deficiencies.

Good info here! 2nd gear pop out is still the big issue to look for. Let us know if you find any cars in CT that you would like us to PPI for you.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:27 PM
THANKS! So much for the support and help guys its really appreciated, the hunt still continues as Im set on white.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Buy a clean 996tt and you'll forget your audi for ever

Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Speaking of that, just figured I'd throw it out there. If anyone knows someone whos selling a 996tt and might be interested in a trade for a 06 Audi S4 plush cash please PM me. Thanks again!