996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 AM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Stereo not working

My OEM stereo was working fine till recently. Now when I turn it on, there is no sound. The stereo turns on as normal & seems to function normally, just no sound coming from it. I checked the mute buttons. I'm wondering if a button got pressed or is it something that will require me to pull the radio. Any ideas.
Thx.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Check the fuse for the amp.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
The OEM radio ( CDR23 ) is junk! Mine would turn it self on and off w/ or w/out the key in the ign. If I didn't drive my car for a week or so it would run the battery down to where it wouldn't pop the hood. It would even do it while driving down the road.

on/off. on/off. on/off.... then it would work great for 2 or 3 days or even longer, then on/off, on/off. When it would do this it and finally come on for good it would have no memory of bass/treble settings exct. but it would have the radio presets.

I got tired it and pulled the 6 disc exchanger out of the aux unit and unplugged the head unit completely. I'll just wait till I can have a new amp and head unit put in the car.

It sucks because I really like to listen to music when I drive.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
try unlocking and locking the doors with the remote, mine does the same thing at times.. seems to have something to do with the alarm

Old 10-25-2010, 12:13 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Any other electrical problems? Windshield wipers work, ac/fan work? Headlights and tail lights work? If you've got other quirky issues, and they sometimes go away, I'm 99% sure its your ignitiion switch. Search for this, I've posted info about my own problems and solution. Basically a new switch is $19 DIY, but it'll usually mess up again (mine did 2 months later again), so I had to pay Porsche $525 to install a whole new lock/switch (the updated 997 version that isn't a POS).

Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks! I thought it had something to do w/ the relay that turns the car off when you get out after driving. It seemed to be tied to the door opening.

I have no other issues but I'll look into this. Where did you get the part to replace the OEM 996? I don't want to spend $500 on a 997 if I don't have to. I'd rather have other mods.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
ptconner is on a distinguished road
I had this problem one time. It was after the battery was low. The car cranked slow, but did start. I tried to turn the car off after driving for about 5 minutes and restart to see if it would correct the problem, which it did not. However, after I drove for about 30 minutes, then the car sat for about 3 hours, the problem was gone when I got back and has never happened again. I attributed it to the low battery condition.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
finally now you can enjoy the sound of the TURBO!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Radio not responding

Thanks for all the replies. The radio worked fine until I took the car into my tuner. I'm sure it's a coincidence. I will check the fuses tomorrow night along with locking/unlocking the doors. Everything else works fine on the car... weird.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
BOOMER7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boca996tt
try unlocking and locking the doors with the remote, mine does the same thing at times.. seems to have something to do with the alarm
yep
this works for me
my radio does the same (no sound) after it still for 5-6 days without being driven.

STRANGE!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
dakotan2 is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue twice before. I don't have any recommendation on how to fix it though - it seemed to resolve itself. For an entire day it wouldn't produce any sound. A few hours after sitting it came back on and hasn't happened since. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM
dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
My radio stopped working today, no sound but everything else normal. I knew my battery was marginal and had ordered one already. Tried remote lock/unlock and it fixed radio. Swapped out battery (Optima 34R) and from the other posts believe the problem with the radio will not reoccur. THANK YOU TO OTHER POSTERS, THIS THREAD WAS VERY HELPFUL.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I went through 4 radios on my first 996, and am on my second in my current one. The first ones had all kinds of weird problems, including the ones you describe. I finally gave up on the 4th head unit and just lived with the problems.