996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pentosin overflow from clutch reservoir

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road

I thought I would post the experience I recently had with pentosin overflowing from the clutch reservoir. First of all, this is the second slave cylinder and accumulator that was installed less than 12 months ago. I also had the clutch reservoir assembly replaced at the same time, which was leaking pentosin. Recently, I found pentosin leaking from the reservoir once again and thought that I would being dealing with the same issues I had before. To my surprise I found that the screw-on green cap for the reservoir had swollen to the extent that it just lifted straight off the top of the reservoir thereby allowing the pentosin to leak around the cap! Would pentosin react with plastic in this manner causing it to expand? Has anybody experience this before?

FYI...the Porsche dealer does not sell the cap separately. You have to purchase the entire assembly, which costs $90+. The dealer didn't have one in stock but they did have a replacement brake cap for $8 that's the same size as the green reservoir cap. I went ahead and got one of these and cut out the center of the cap to the diameter of the green cap. It's been on the car for two months now with no leaks and no signs of reacting with the pentosin. I'm going to look for a machine shop that can make an aluminum cap to the specifications of the green cap to replace the temporary brake cap and be done with this once and for all.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I'd like to see pics of your fix. My clutch reservoir starting leaking when I put the car away for winter. This would for sure assist me until I do the GT2 conversrion.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Here's a picture of the brake cap

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM
E90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to all
About how many miles since the replacement?

Originally Posted by tjj7ff
I thought I would post the experience I recently had with pentosin overflowing from the clutch reservoir. First of all, this is the second slave cylinder and accumulator that was installed less than 12 months ago. I also had the clutch reservoir assembly replaced at the same time, which was leaking pentosin. Recently, I found pentosin leaking from the reservoir once again and thought that I would being dealing with the same issues I had before. To my surprise I found that the screw-on green cap for the reservoir had swollen to the extent that it just lifted straight off the top of the reservoir thereby allowing the pentosin to leak around the cap! Would pentosin react with plastic in this manner causing it to expand? Has anybody experience this before?

FYI...the Porsche dealer does not sell the cap separately. You have to purchase the entire assembly, which costs $90+. The dealer didn't have one in stock but they did have a replacement brake cap for $8 that's the same size as the green reservoir cap. I went ahead and got one of these and cut out the center of the cap to the diameter of the green cap. It's been on the car for two months now with no leaks and no signs of reacting with the pentosin. I'm going to look for a machine shop that can make an aluminum cap to the specifications of the green cap to replace the temporary brake cap and be done with this once and for all.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Maybe 3K.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:39 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Resurrecting this thread!

My cap also just lifts right off the reservoir causing fluid to leak out. Anyone else have an issue or able to find another cap that you do not have to modify?!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:25 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Just a suggestion, take a look at your power steering reservoir to see if the level is low. May be you got a faulty slave causing fluid migration towards the clutch reservoir and this excess of fluid push the cap off the reservoir.....

Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
What he said ^^

Old 10-30-2017, 04:41 PM
jdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to behold
I have a fully functional slave and new accumulator if anyone needs one...

Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jpflip
Just a suggestion, take a look at your power steering reservoir to see if the level is low. May be you got a faulty slave causing fluid migration towards the clutch reservoir and this excess of fluid push the cap off the reservoir.....

I checked the PS pump level. All is in order. I really think this cap is just leaking because it will not even thread onto the bottle anymore.

Any options guys?