996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Caliper question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Caliper question

Any ideas for rebuild kit for a right rear brake caliper? My right rear caliper is leaking. It's a 996TT but the brakes are 997TT setup...upgraded by the original owner prior to me.

how much and where to source (if they have) a rebuild kit?

What is a fair price for a shop on this sort of job?

any other advice...

thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
You need to be sure which calipers you have to source the right size seals. The stock 996TT rear takes 28 and 30 mm kits. The pressure + dust seals can be had for $25 or so per set from Zeckhausen Racing. I think that GMG also has them, and probably also Stoptech.

It should be less that 2 hours labor for the two calipers. It's not a difficult DIY. An air hose with a rubber fitting can be helpful for popping out the pistons, some C-clamps, a little pick to pull out the old pressure seals...

Jon

Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I have to agree 100% with Mr. Le Professeur FAST FWd. He guided me to do this job and it is in fact very easy. Thanks again Jon. You will find all the info you need on this previous thread including the size of the seals you need. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rake-help.html . For the rear brake the piston size are 28 mm and 30 mm. When I order mine I order a kit. Remember you got 2 X 28 mm + 2 X 30 mm : http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2665 . Also when you dismantle the piston from the caliper take a good look at the cylinder and the piston sidewall for scratch. I always use petroleum jelly (vaseline) when I install new seals...

Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
I have to agree 100% with Mr. Le Professeur FAST FWd. He guided me to do this job and it is in fact very easy. Thanks again Jon. You will find all the info you need on this previous thread including the size of the seals you need. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rake-help.html . For the rear brake the piston size are 28 mm and 30 mm. When I order mine I order a kit. Remember you got 2 X 28 mm + 2 X 30 mm : http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2665 . Also when you dismantle the piston from the caliper take a good look at the cylinder and the piston sidewall for scratch. I always use petroleum jelly (vaseline) when I install new seals...
Merci pour "les props" J-P.

I wouldn't recommend vaseline for the seals, since they can get rather hot. There are some high temperature lubricants for this purpose. Here's a link to a discussion of them:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ld-grease.html

I have used the molybdenum-based one, and I have also just dipped the seal in brake fluid before inserting. I can't say that one was better than the other.

Sometimes when you do the rebuild, the pressure seal has a tendency to retract the piston more than it should. The symptom is long pedal travel that "pumps up" when you apply the brakes. I have found that I can avoid this by doing the following:

After you put the caliper back together, put in something thin, like an old brake pad. Then run the pistons in by pressing the brake pedal, and then push them back out. Doing this 3-4 times mates the seals to the pistons and the pedal feels ok after that.

Jon

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Thanks for the heads up Jon. We learn every day. Very good reading on Pelican board.

Last edited by jpflip; 02-12-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
The part # should be cast on the caliper. take the wheel off and the number is on the top (where you put the pads in) side of the caliper. That will as least get you on track for getting the right parts. The rest was stated above by FAST FWD and jpflip

Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Porsche is not very helpful when it comes to cross-referencing the part number to caliper rebuild kits. They also do not sell the pressure seals at all. I have the 996 GT3 6-pots on my car, and we (me, Vivid, the dealer, Zeckhausen) could not find the piston sizes from the part number.

I just ended up popping out a pad, pressing out the pistons and measuring them.

Jon

Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Guys I bought this car from the original owner and he says it has the 997TT brakes on it, which I guess are the same as the 996 GT3 calipers?? dunno? They are 6 pot front and 4 pot rear, he has them on custom 2 peice rotors which he told me were larger than the 996TT brakes...

so should I order the seals and parts from Zuckhousen for the 997TT right rear caliper or the 996TT right rear caliper or what? man Jon if you, vivid, the dealer, and Zuckhousen had trouble finding the right parts bud...that scares me lol!!...shall I take them into the shop (it's an indy shop that ussually lets me hang out there and learn) and just have him pull the caliper apart and order the right stuff from Zuckhousen?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
Guys I bought this car from the original owner and he says it has the 997TT brakes on it, which I guess are the same as the 996 GT3 calipers?? dunno? They are 6 pot front and 4 pot rear, he has them on custom 2 peice rotors which he told me were larger than the 996TT brakes...

so should I order the seals and parts from Zuckhousen for the 997TT right rear caliper or the 996TT right rear caliper or what? man Jon if you, vivid, the dealer, and Zuckhousen had trouble finding the right parts bud...that scares me lol!!...shall I take them into the shop (it's an indy shop that ussually lets me hang out there and learn) and just have him pull the caliper apart and order the right stuff from Zuckhousen?

A picture is worth a thousand words.... Take a picture of the caliper through the wheels. Maybe we can identify....

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by sunir

Relax, Sunir. This is not all that complicated. It just seems like it.

The way I measured my pistons was to pull the wheel, remove a pad (not the caliper), pry off the dust seal, then press on the brake pedal to move the pistons in. Then I could measure the diameter with a caliper. My dust seals were already fried, so they came off in pieces, and you really wouldn't want to drive the car much like that. (Not dangerous, just not good for the pistons.)

I suggest that you do what you said at the end of your post:

Take the car to your shop, and have them do what I described above for a front and rear caliper.

Call Zeckhausen and order the right kits. They are located in NJ, and you are in MD, so they can have the kits there the next day.

This way you are guaranteed to have the right size pistons.

Jon

Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Jon awesome info ...I called the shop up and am due to bring the car in tomorrow morning.

Guys I would have taken a pic last night but all I have is my crappy Verizon smartphone since my camera got misplaced a bit ago...I will have to get a new one of those too come to think of it ...lol