996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear Spoiler Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Rear Spoiler Issue

I just changed the wing blade on my 996tt, never had the spoiler light but noticed it come on when i picked up the car from the body shop.

The spoiler raises as it should at 75 mph perfectly, but it does not come back down....however; If i turn the engine off and turn the key to the on position and press the button the spoiler will then lower down without a problem.

Could this be the code just needs to be reset? or any ideas?

I did a search and couldnt really find anything pertaining to this specific issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
My car does the exact same thing. (didnt change blade recently though) Every 10-15 times it goes up it sticks - works fine after restart. My right side ram is leaking slighty and I believe the only fix is to rebuild/replace the hydraulics. Mine's not bad so I deal with it [for now].

Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I just changed the wing blade on my 996tt, never had the spoiler light but noticed it come on when i picked up the car from the body shop.

The spoiler raises as it should at 75 mph perfectly, but it does not come back down....however; If i turn the engine off and turn the key to the on position and press the button the spoiler will then lower down without a problem.

Could this be the code just needs to be reset? or any ideas?

I did a search and couldnt really find anything pertaining to this specific issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
You might have one of the microswitches on the passenger side ram going bad. It's very easy and cheap to replace both microswitches. Also check to make sure nothing is binding on the spoiler since they just replaced the blade and I'm assuming it was replaced with some aftermarket blade?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnselli
You might have one of the microswitches on the passenger side ram going bad. It's very easy and cheap to replace both microswitches. Also check to make sure nothing is binding on the spoiler since they just replaced the blade and I'm assuming it was replaced with some aftermarket blade?
I will look into that, haven't heard about that before. When you say check to see if nothing is binding, what exactly do you mean? I checked under the blade and everything seems to be installed correctly, blade is on tight, ect.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
You might try cleaning and lubricating the posts with WD-40 when they are exposed with the spoiler in the up position. It's also possible that the spoiler was install slightly crooked, which would cause the binding that johnselli referred to.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM
TT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the rough
It's the micro switches in the left ram like stated above. Check for drag as well from one or the other ram.

Just had same problem fixed last week. Micro switches are around 30 each. Do both while u are there

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I will look into that, haven't heard about that before. When you say check to see if nothing is binding, what exactly do you mean? I checked under the blade and everything seems to be installed correctly, blade is on tight, ect.
Post #5 and 6 are correct. If the blade is not dead straight and installed a bit crooked you will get binding. For lubing the posts WD40 works but I would use something like a silicone spray lube (available at any Home Depot) which will not attract as much dust as WD40 because it is not so oily. The microswitches are on the right (passenger side) ram. Just pop the plastic cover and you will see them as each has two wires going to them. These are the same ones that would need to be removed if you wanted to disconnect the spoiler and not get any warning lights.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
sounds good thanks for the advice, I will check everything out and let you know if I solve the issue

Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
You might try cleaning and lubricating the posts with WD-40 when they are exposed with the spoiler in the up position. It's also possible that the spoiler was install slightly crooked, which would cause the binding that johnselli referred to.
Originally Posted by johnselli
Post #5 and 6 are correct. If the blade is not dead straight and installed a bit crooked you will get binding. For lubing the posts WD40 works but I would use something like a silicone spray lube (available at any Home Depot) which will not attract as much dust as WD40 because it is not so oily. The microswitches are on the right (passenger side) ram. Just pop the plastic cover and you will see them as each has two wires going to them. These are the same ones that would need to be removed if you wanted to disconnect the spoiler and not get any warning lights.
If there was a binding issue, wouldn't the blade not recess when Links turned off/on the car and hit the button? I had the binding issue with my old RUF replica blade and it wouldn't recess at all. Dean, keep me in the loop on what you find out bud!

Edwin

Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Ok, not a problem... its a little strange to be honest. I looked again at everything last night, and it seems to be on pretty much perfect. Goes up while driving and down when the ignition is on, just not while driving. Could be those micro switches, I guess I will just have to do some trial and error before buying those and replacing. Looks pretty sick when its up though...

Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Yea that looks real nice. What wing is that? Any other shots of it?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Down Position for you... to bad I like it both ways to much or i would delete the motor and call it a day

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Did you get the Rottec wingblade painted or is that a completely new wingblade? I hear you though, it looks great both up and down. I believe they have adjustable fixed-wing struts out there (ebay IIRC) so you can have it up or down... depending on your mood

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 07-26-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Strosek wing from precision porsche.... The mood I'm usually in is to have the wing raise at 75mph and then lower when i slow down again, or just use the little button in my car to raise and lower it... that's the mood I'm in right now

Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 PM
TT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry I meant to say right. My bad.