996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

grumpling/grinding problem when I accelerate out of a turn. What could it be?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
plastex is on a distinguished road
grumpling/grinding problem when I accelerate out of a turn. What could it be?

Ok, I have an 01' Tiptronic, and I noticed that when I accelerate out of a corner I was hearing a grumbling coming from under my seat area,(possibly a little bit forward of seat). I wanted to eliminate the wheel bearings, so I replaced them, and the problem is still there. I checked for play in the driveshafts, and the Cardan (sp?) shaft, and can't find any.

Any ideas?

Can I unhook the Cardan shaft, and see if the problem is still there? I've heard you cant run RWD on a tiptronic though.

Thanks,
Oscar
Akron, Oh.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM
anybody?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I'd bet its your tranny mount. Those things are weak. And YES, you can run RWD in a tip. I did it for a couple years. I wound not do it again though.

Originally Posted by plastex
Ok, I have an 01' Tiptronic, and I noticed that when I accelerate out of a corner I was hearing a grumbling coming from under my seat area,(possibly a little bit forward of seat). I wanted to eliminate the wheel bearings, so I replaced them, and the problem is still there. I checked for play in the driveshafts, and the Cardan (sp?) shaft, and can't find any.

Any ideas?

Can I unhook the Cardan shaft, and see if the problem is still there? I've heard you cant run RWD on a tiptronic though.

Thanks,
Oscar
Akron, Oh.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Just kick you old lady out next time you go driving! :-)

Maybe transmission mount?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Dang Todd, beat me to the draw! lol

Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
ha

Originally Posted by raineycd
dang todd, beat me to the draw! Lol

Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
when I was underneath I was able to pull on the Cardan shaft, and I got movement, but the movement was from the whole Differential,(awd) unit. I didn't see any play in the shaft. How can you tell if your tranny mount is bad?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by plastex
when I was underneath I was able to pull on the Cardan shaft, and I got movement, but the movement was from the whole Differential,(awd) unit. I didn't see any play in the shaft. How can you tell if your tranny mount is bad?

The center of the mount will look like this.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Can you see the damage when on the car?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
It could be..................
There is a known problem with the 01 Tip have a look at this TSB.
However the easy and cheap cure is to use durametric, PST2 or PIWIS to reset the TCU adaptive values.
Basically, the car has bee driven for too long like a *****, reset the values and give it some **** now and again. Don't be afraid to show it who is the boss and really have a good hard drive. The TCU has adapted to being driven too slow in each tip gear. Believe it or not, its up to you but it really is true. On these Scottish roads its all too easy to drive the car like "Miss Daisy". So I have the same noise form time to time. Worse when under load at very slow speeds in 3rd. Normally going up a hill slowly and pulling away under mild load. It will also do it in 2nd and 4th.

Oh yes , one other thing, you can absolutely run a Tip without the front diff. just disconnect the shaft. In fact its the only way to roller test a 6tt whether tip or manual on a 2 roller system or for that matter IMO even on a 4 roller system .

Technical Information
911 Turbo (996)

5/02

Binder

- 3, Transmission, Automatic

Tiptronic Transmission Noises

Vehicle Type:

Model Year:
Concern:
Information:
Work Procedure:
Parts Information:
Labor Operation:
Literature:
911 Turbo (9196)
As of '01 (1)
Tiptronic control unit adaption of the torque converer lockup.
Driving noises/jerking during acceleration.
Grinding/rattling noise when accelerating from a standstill or when driving at low speed in third gear

- 35 mph (30 - 50 km/h). Irregular /hard gear changes and jerking during acceleration also occur

occasionally.

The reason for this is the adaptation of the torque converter lockup clutch in the Tiptronic control unit.

If the vehicle is driven in a restrained manner or is frequently driven in stop-and-go traffic, the Tiptronic
control module adapts itself to unfavourable values that cause the aforementioned complaints.
This problem arises only if the car is driven in a comfortable/economical manner and not when it is
driven in a sporty manner.
Install a new Tliptronic control unit with modified software.
Introduction: 12th November 2002

99 53S 68 5844

USA

1. Install and code the new Tiptronic control unit, part number, 996.618.180.04, as described in the

Turbo {996) Technical Manual, Group 3, Chapter 373019.

Carry out a test drive, making sure that all upshift and downshift points are reached. Do not switch

the engine off after the test drive, but instead let it idle for 10 minutes. The adaptation values will

be written into the transmission control unit only after this time has elapsed.

Part Number

996 618 180 04
Description
New Tiptronic Control Unit
Labor Operation
37 30 55 06
Time Units
130 TU
Description
Removing and installing control unit
Includes: Removing and installing rear side-panel lining
Programming the control unit

Turbo (996) Technical Manual, Group 3:
> Repairs: 37 30 19 - Removing and installing the Tiptronic control unit

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 08-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Good stuff Sunnyside lol

Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Good stuff Sunnyside lol
Thanks matey

Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Ok, looks like the tranny mount is bad. I will get a new one on order. Any tips on installing it?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
jury_ca is on a distinguished road
Does that grinding do any damage to anything? I replaced my tranny mount which fixed the issue, but always wondered what was grinding?