996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Went drag racing tonight with the GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:13 AM
tom91722 is on a distinguished road
Talking Went drag racing tonight with the GT2

Got really borred and went to the street legal racing event at Sacramento Raceway tonight, And here is my story.

#1 It was HOT HOT HOT 95 degrees.
#2 1/2 tank of fuel.
#3 My PHAT **** 250 pounds
#4 Mods are EVO Airbox and GIAC/Sharkey/EVO flash (whatever)

11.75@126 60 foot was 1.90

I went to the line no burnout, Let the clutch out at 1500 went for it WOOHOO!!

It was very fun, Alot of people were very suprised at the MPH. Thanks Alex for getting me the simple and right hook up!!

Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
wow that is fast. mph is high too.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Vrrrroooooomm
GT-Racer is on a distinguished road
Hahaha, so you had a "Sharky" in the car?!?!?

Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: Went drag racing tonight with the GT2

Originally posted by tom91722
Got really borred and went to the street legal racing event at Sacramento Raceway tonight, And here is my story.

#1 It was HOT HOT HOT 95 degrees.
#2 1/2 tank of fuel.
#3 My PHAT **** 250 pounds
#4 Mods are EVO Airbox and GIAC/Sharkey/EVO flash (whatever)

11.75@126 60 foot was 1.90

I went to the line no burnout, Let the clutch out at 1500 went for it WOOHOO!!

It was very fun, Alot of people were very suprised at the MPH. Thanks Alex for getting me the simple and right hook up!!
Great job brutha!!! No point in killing the clutch but "if" you had done so and pulled a 1.7 or so... hmmm that'd be very close to 11.2 oe so. Great MPH... anyways you're ready for more soon eh?

Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 AM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
11.75@126mph is very impressive... Nice car and great driving. What color is your GT2?

Old 06-24-2005, 04:06 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Love it! Get VIDEO next time!!!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:09 AM
My GT2 is silver. I have the video need to figure out how to post it.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Great numbers, Do you have a boost guage in your car?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Jean
Great numbers, Do you have a boost guage in your car?
Yes, the stock one shows 1.1 bar to 1.2 bar.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. Is the stock boost guage on the 996TT limited like the 993TT?
With that trap speed and a stock weight 996TT, it means you are seeing around 550 hp at the flywheel. At 1.2 Bars of boost, it is quite low, considering that at 1 Bar other 996TTs (with different turbos and exhaust I must say) are seeing well beyond 600 hp (on engine dyno). I think there is potential for much more at 1.2 Bar.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Since he has a GT2, does that mean he is making less than 550 to the flywheel?

But you are right... however, it has much to do with the sizing of the turbos and its flow characteristics. For example, at 1.2 bar, my old Turbo could put out around 700hp to the crank (approx.). Just ask Todd K. about the famous blue 996 TT that was his prototype development car.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 PM
cgmeredithjr will become famous soon enough
Let's ask Jean an interesting question. Mr. Low Boost/High HP, how much did your engine and ancillary systems cost to produce? When you start reinventing the wheel, I bet it gets a little more expensive than improving the stock set up. I agree that stand alone EFI using a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor in conjunction with separate wastegates can be more efficient and allow the use of a wider variety of turbos....been there done that on some high HP Datsun 240Z's, but redesigning the entire system leads to mucho $$, just ask Chad.

I have just decided on programming for my GT2. My top race program should produce 680RWHP @ 5000RPM and 744RWTQ (proven numbers...just ask Stephen) on VP109 unleaded, yes I will be running more than 1BAR, but who cares, it still makes the power and earlier. Plenty of power "under" the curve. This can be done by improving the stock design (less cost).

P.S. That's about 800HP & 875LBFT of torque on an engine dyno.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
tom, what mods did you do to your GT2? 126mph is moving.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:07 PM
live porsche
hockeygod2787 is on a distinguished road
yes video please lol

Old 06-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
cgmeredithjr... if you knew how much my old system cost, you would **** a brick and it would **** off a lot of the tuners on this board.

So, I will keep quiet on that.

I am not here to start another redundant and pedantic thread on what tuner is best, blah blah blah. Personally having "been there done that" looking back I think it's pretty retarded to engage in these BIG HP wars for zillion hp engines, etc. considering that full bore race cars from Alzen and Manthey are running "only" 700hp.

There is no doubt which one I would choose between a Ruf Nardo motor with its measly 590hp engine or one of these 800hp grenades.

How many of these huge HP setups have been extensively tested on high speed circuits or roads or even on the racetrack under extreme conditions? How can these tuners certify long-term reliability? Or can they?

If all you want is a fast straightline car, perhaps a Supra or Skyline would have been the cheaper and better choice.

I chuckled when I heard about your claimed HP numbers on VP 109. Give me a break, you call those real world numbers? To run so much boost and needing VP 109 should give you an indication of how dangerously aggressive your programming is. One should tune for reliability with a built in safety margin, not stretch to the limit. I hope you don't plan to sell your GT2.

If you speak to the real pros in this field, like the guys who actually win races, you would see what I'm talking about. Having a car like a Porsche is not about having more power than the chassis can handle or use effectively around corners.

But hey, to each his own. Some people will never get it.

By the way, there is no doubt in my mind that Protomotive is one of the top tuners. You do not need an EFI or Motec to run seperate wastegates or even to completely swap out the stock turbo system with something far more efficient like the Garretts. There is a reason why Chad has been developing his car with Todd Knighton. Chad had certain parameters on why he wanted to use a KKK/Garrett hybrid setup, but he would be the first to tell you that for consistent big HP/low boost applications, you simply need a big but efficient turbo like a GT-35.

Last edited by Hamann7; 06-24-2005 at 12:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went drag racing tonight with the GT2