996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Increasing clutch feel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM
JayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really nice
Increasing clutch feel?

I'd really like to know of the ways on how to increase the clutch feel for a 996tt. I want it to be a bit heavier, any opinions?

To me, the 997tt clutch feel is perfect. It's a bit heavier than the 996tt with a bit more feel too.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,Remove the clutch pedal booster spring ..It will help..I did it because with the first CM clutch it was like a light switch..
Do a search ,as you will find out more about that simple trick and the others that liked it also..

Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM
JayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really nice
Originally Posted by johnspeed
HI,Remove the clutch pedal booster spring ..It will help..I did it because with the first CM clutch it was like a light switch..
Do a search ,as you will find out more about that simple trick and the others that liked it also..
Yea that seems to be the consensus with this problem, are there any guides out there? Rennlist won't let me register for some reason

Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
GT2 slave conversion

Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
GT2 slave conversion
Before he spends a few grand, why not try the free spring removal? Not every issue needs money thrown at it.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by leftlane
Before he spends a few grand, why not try the free spring removal? Not every issue needs money thrown at it.
..AGREED..
That trick,even though a small improvement, was just enough to make my car more livable and enjoyable..As others have found out also..

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
So I imagine that removing that spring eliminates the clutch from springing back?

Also how often are you supposed to change that booster spring? Do you ever have to replace the hydraulic clutch assist either? I just had a PPI and 30k service done and neither of those issues came up, but then again I didn't tell them to check it out either.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Clutch feel is probably my main complaint with this car. The gripping point is too "vague". I always feel like I need to rev it up a bit on take-off or I run the risk of stalling. Backing the car in my garage (with an incline) is kind of a pain as well. My BMW is so much easier to drive in stop-go traffic.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM
That spring removal will help that..

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nick49
Thanks for the link! I'll have to read up on this DIY. Just like yourself, I've been driving manuals all my life and I really have to pay attention on take-off or I run the risk of stalling the car. I never had this with any manual I ever owned.

Sounds like removing that spring is the ticket!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=FI_FTW;3683225]Thanks for the link! I'll have to read up on this DIY. Just like yourself, I've been driving manuals all my life and I really have to pay attention on take-off or I run the risk of stalling the car. I never had this with any manual I ever owned.

Sounds like removing that spring is the ticket![/QUOTE
That's what I found out and said above...lol..

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM
[quote=johnspeed;3683234]
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Thanks for the link! I'll have to read up on this DIY. Just like yourself, I've been driving manuals all my life and I really have to pay attention on take-off or I run the risk of stalling the car. I never had this with any manual I ever owned.

Sounds like removing that spring is the ticket![/QUOTE
That's what I found out and said above...lol..
Oh, I know. I just meant that there are more people of the same opinion, that's all

Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FI_FTW

Sounds like removing that spring is the ticket!
I had the same issue with my car. The lack of feel is ultimately a function of the hydraulically assisted clutch pedal. The helper spring removal may help a bit but since the stock system remains you still wont have much feel. I upgraded to a GT2 clutch slave setup and it helped *a lot*. The engagement point is always the same and you can actually feel when the clutch is engaging.

If the spring removal doesn't do it for you, I'd definitely look into the GT2 setup from EVOMS. You can piece the kit together yourself cheaper but it can be a pain bird-******* everything. If you're handy with a wrench, the install is messy and time consuming but not super hard.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I had the same issue with my car. The lack of feel is ultimately a function of the hydraulically assisted clutch pedal. The helper spring removal may help a bit but since the stock system remains you still wont have much feel. I upgraded to a GT2 clutch slave setup and it helped *a lot*. The engagement point is always the same and you can actually feel when the clutch is engaging.

If the spring removal doesn't do it for you, I'd definitely look into the GT2 setup from EVOMS. You can piece the kit together yourself cheaper but it can be a pain bird-******* everything. If you're handy with a wrench, the install is messy and time consuming but not super hard.
Totally agree about the engagement point and feel as mentioned above by Dr. Jekyll - if anyone wants a GT2 clutch kit, we have them for sale and have sold many to very satisfied 6speeders. PM for pricing. Great clutch upgrade in terms of driving enjoyment! One of the best...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Increasing clutch feel?