996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Smog in San Diego

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
1braincell is on a distinguished road
Smog in San Diego

Hi,
Not being native to California I made the mistake recently of trying to get my modestly modified (exhaust and boost hoses, suspension, cup wing, roll bar, GT3 seats) '03TT for a smog test and was promptly informed that the car couldn't be tested in this state. I have since replaced the OEM emission components (exhaust and boost hoses) but was still turned away from two shops today - one because they were unfamiliar with Porsches (the tech did ask me at one point where the engine was) and the other just took a look and refused without much explanation. I enjoy spending time working on my car, learning and trying new things and imagine I am not alone. That being said, I wonder what experiences and advise others may have going through the smog process here in California. I see the value in emissions testing but it seems that things are taken to a new level in this state. Any suggestion for an experienced smog shop familiar with Porsches in the San Diego area?
Thanks

Last edited by 1braincell; 02-26-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
I have a good shop in south Orange County. Send me a pm and I will get your their info.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Ive been smogged 3x times with my stage 3 tt.

Do you need a test only or can you go anywhere?

let me know, Ill tell you were I go. No worries, you'll be fine.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I only need to go to a 'smog-only' facility.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 AM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I have a place. I'll pm you.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Fast Enough? is on a distinguished road
I need a smog shop in the same area - south Orange County, north San Diego county. Would appreciate it if you guys would send me the info also. Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by SSMugen
I have a place. I'll pm you.
That would be great. Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I'll just post here. Go to smog central off of rancho santa fe. Google them and print the coupon off the Web page it's about $35 for the smog plus certificate cost. I passed as is.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
silverbullet996TT is on a distinguished road
Great info! Now let's get together for a drive in sd? Anyone open Sunday?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 PM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Just FYI , as of 2013 CA has a new "STAR" certified Smog program. This can and will actually hurt a few of us that are very modded ( happened to me) since not all smog stations are "STAR" .

It will show on your DMV renewal if you have to go a "STAR" and pretty much no exception from what I've heard.

Anyone that can help please PM me as well.

thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet996TT:3780826
Great info! Now let's get together for a drive in sd? Anyone open Sunday?
I'm actually stuck in Phoenix on the way to a snowed in Chicago airport. So the highlight of my trip was getting a paid hotel by the airlines that happened to be 1.5miles away from Evolution Motorsports. Just had a really nice tour from Todd and Matthew. I'll be back in town Sunday night. There are 2 other 996tts meeting up Monday if ur up for dinner then a small meet at UCSD campus.

Pm me.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by SSMugen
Sorry I'll just post here. Go to smog central off of rancho santa fe. Google them and print the coupon off the Web page it's about $35 for the smog plus certificate cost. I passed as is.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info...

Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by scsponger31
I have a good shop in south Orange County. Send me a pm and I will get your their info.
I can't PM yet - not enough posts. I'd appreciate it if you could PM me the info. Thanks