996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT 6pots calipers/Upgrade to 380mm disc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT996
Why changing the master brake cylinder? Im am running 380 mm ceramic discs and 6-piston-calipers on the front and 350/4 on the the rear, just like the full big ceramic package of the 997.1 turbo on my 996 turbo.

The 996 master brake cylinder just works fine. Before it had to feed 4 larger pistons and now 6 smaller ones. You won't notice the difference in the pedal.

The difference of that brake on a lighter car you will notice for sure
I've run just about every permutation of brakes on these cars you can imagine, including the 380/350 PCCB calipers and the smaller and larger brake cylinder masters. The front calipers are not the reason for the larger master. The reason Porsche switched from the 25mm master to the 27mm master on the 997 cars is due to the fact that the rear calipers have 50% larger piston bores vs. the 996 rear calipers. As such, the 997 rear calipers move more fluid which translates to a slightly longer pedal. By using the larger brake master, the pedal stroke is firmed up with a sharper biting point.

Porsche actually went a step further on the 997GT2/3 cars by again reducing the 380 front caliper piston bores by another 30% compared to those on the 997TT 380 calipers. This further firmed up the brake pedal while at the same time giving the GT cars more rear brake bias. The difference in simply running the GT calipers vs. the TT calipers is very noticeable. Yes, the smaller stock 996 master will work with the 997 brakes but it is not ideal. The brake definitely feel better with the larger master, and even better with the 997 cam driven vacuum assist pump.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:28 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CBRacerX
When the smart folks chime in I'm looking for the hard line adapter for the M/C also
I made up a batch of 10 of these lines, one with a 10mm and 12mm fitting. I sold the last one about a month ago. I don't plan on making any more unfortunately. This is what the lines looked like:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dWTmLi]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-01-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:38 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
As such, the 997 rear calipers move more fluid which translates to a slightly longer pedal. By using the larger brake master, the pedal stroke is firmed up with a sharper biting point.
You for sure did way more testing than I did - good work. In my application there is no downside by keeping the 996 stock on the master brake cylinder. The brakes do bite hard and pedal travel is no issue. Not saying that it can't be better - it always can.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:11 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
I made up a batch of 10 of these lines, one with a 10mm and 12mm fitting. I sold the last one about a month ago. I don't plan on making any more unfortunately. This is what the lines looked like:

i guess the one i have just went up in value like a gt2!!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 AM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold

Ok if you aren't making any more can you tell me the length of line you used?

Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by CBRacerX
Ok if you aren't making any more can you tell me the length of line you used?
The length is the same as whatever the factory 10/10 line is. I don't remember the exact number I measured but I wanna say it was about 14". I could be persuaded to make another batch of these but I'd have to have a commitment for 6 of them for it to be worth my time. It was a bit of a pain to make to correct bends along with the flares. I have a high end flaring tool that makes perfect bubble flares but it's fairly time consuming.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:55 AM
b4stiTTS has a spectacular aura aboutb4stiTTS has a spectacular aura about
I've still got one custom line from John laying around here and still deciding to install or not. Anyone running this without PSM disabled and without any Problems? I think nearly all who got the new brake master and custom line installed, got PSM failure, but maybe not up to date.....

Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by b4stiTTS
I've still got one custom line from John laying around here and still deciding to install or not. Anyone running this without PSM disabled and without any Problems? I think nearly all who got the new brake master and custom line installed, got PSM failure, but maybe not up to date.....
Can't really say what the issue is with PSM when running the larger master. We think that is has to do with the brake light switch. When you run the larger master the brakes will move more fluid per given pedal stroke. As such, the ABS/PSM module will sense deceleration prior to the brake switch activating. When that happens, you get a PSM fault. I believe it's a simple matter of readjusting the switch to close a bit sooner. This is a guess however as all the PSM components including the yaw sensor and PSM pump have been removed from my car. When I initially made the 10/12 lines, I had my PSM pump disconnected so for all intensive purposes it was not there. I don't think there is really any benefit to the larger master unless you end up running the larger 997 rear calipers. With that said, I believe many of the guys that installed the larger master and my adapter were track guys and ended up disconnecting PSM anyway. That, in and of itself is probably the best mod and solves all the BS issues that come with it.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-02-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Can't really say what the issue is with PSM when running the larger master. We think that is has to do with the brake light switch. When you run the larger master the brakes will move more fluid per given pedal stroke. As such, the ABS/PSM module will sense deceleration prior to the brake switch activating. When that happens, you get a PSM fault. I believe it's a simple matter of readjusting the switch to close a bit sooner.
I tried with a brand new brake switch. No success. Maybe, just maybe, if you adjust the pedal pushrod length you might be lucky.
Strange thing here was the fact that when I had hot brakes (= already increased system pressure, like 2nd or 3rd stint at track) the ABS/PSM disconnection was instant at first touch of the brake pedal. At street driving or day's first stint no problems. We all know the feeling when you can't completely trust your brakes.

I don't think there is really any benefit to the larger master unless you end up running the larger 997 rear calipers.
There's a diffecence with pedal feel indeed.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:31 PM
JJT
JJT is on a distinguished road
........ The one thing you will need to be careful of is the selection of wheels if you run the 380mm set up as only a hand full of 18" wheels will clear those brakes. My track 18x9 front wheel will clear the 380 calipers with about 3/16" to spare but they are manufactured to work with the 380 set up. The silver 5 spoke wheels are 19x9/12 and the grey track wheels are 18x9/12 in the pics below. Hope that helps.
Sorry to get an old thread back. Do you know if 380 PCCB discs/rotors can fit with the original 996GT3MKII 18 wheels? Thanks

Old 03-26-2021, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by JJT
Sorry to get an old thread back. Do you know if 380 PCCB discs/rotors can fit with the original 996GT3MKII 18 wheels? Thanks
they will not

Old 03-26-2021, 11:09 PM
e8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JJT
362mm discs will fit under though.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:27 AM
JJT
JJT is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks