996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lighter steering after rwd conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
nyc996x50 is on a distinguished road
Lighter steering after rwd conversion

Just had a complete rwd conversion done! One word.... awesome! The car is totally transformed! I had H&R street performance coilovers installed and I'm running 305/30r19 and 245/35r19 (steve k ny spec) michelin pilot supersports.

I was surprised that the steering felt lighter. It feels more direct but still feels kinda light. Makes me wonder if the power steering is overpowering now that I have less weight in the front. Can this be improved with a gt2 power steering unit?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I just had the draft shaft connecting the front to the transmission taken out, and yes, it does feel lighter.

I'm going to have the rest taken out soon.

Btw, what are you going to do in terms of alignment? I'm curious if should stay with the Turbo alignment or go with the GT2 alignment specs...

Also, I have ROW suspension ... not sure if that makes a lot of difference ..

Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
I just had the draft shaft connecting the front to the transmission taken out, and yes, it does feel lighter.

I'm going to have the rest taken out soon.

Btw, what are you going to do in terms of alignment? I'm curious if should stay with the Turbo alignment or go with the GT2 alignment specs...

Also, I have ROW suspension ... not sure if that makes a lot of difference ..
I was able to get within factory Turbo alignment with the H&R street coilovers at the highest possible setting (they run low!) I use my car as a every other weekend car and plan to one or two DE events a year. I don't need the extra negative camber and I wanted to prolong the life of the tires.

Attached Images  

Last edited by nyc996x50; 06-24-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
I've driven a 996 Carrera Cab and the steering was noticeably lighter than my Turbo. I'm unsure if there's any difference in steering hardware between AWD and RWD cars (besides that accumulator/slave setup difference that's tied in).

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Power steering pump is just fine the way it is and you will get used to the lighter steering really quickly. You just removed thousands of pounds of rotational inertia from the front end by removing just the drive shafts alone. Now throw on a really light set of wheels and then tell us how light it is.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Power steering pump is just fine the way it is and you will get used to the lighter steering really quickly.
I think you're right! I drove the car again this morning to the body shop and I said to myself, "this isn't so bad." I still get lots of feedback from the steering, especially on imperfect roads. With that said, I'll take my steering over electric steering any day!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
My Carrera 2 was so much lighter in steering in comparison to the TT. Turn in was much better too

Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nyc996x50
Just had a complete rwd conversion done! One word.... awesome! The car is totally transformed! I had H&R street performance coilovers installed and I'm running 305/30r19 and 245/35r19 (steve k ny spec) michelin pilot supersports.

I was surprised that the steering felt lighter. It feels more direct but still feels kinda light. Makes me wonder if the power steering is overpowering now that I have less weight in the front. Can this be improved with a gt2 power steering unit?
The power steering unit is the same part number on the TT as the GT2. If you want to get a heavier feel to the steering then get adjustable thrust arm bushings and have your shop dial in more caster...

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
The power steering unit is the same part number on the TT as the GT2. If you want to get a heavier feel to the steering then get adjustable thrust arm bushings and have your shop dial in more caster...
i thought the p/s for the gt2 was the same as a tiptronic p/s not a 6 speed. isnt that were the slave assist comes in that the gt2 doesnt have?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Sounds interesting. I'll look into this. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
The light steering like a GT3 is very nice... I swapped out the front rotors I had up front on my turbo (350mm) that weight 28lbs each to 2pc rotors that weight 17.5 lbs each WOW same effect as you did. The steering input was felt instantly backing out of the garage.

When I also did the rears, and the chatter went away with my lwfw at low rpms...

Their is not better mod then making these cars lighter.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i thought the p/s for the gt2 was the same as a tiptronic p/s not a 6 speed. isnt that were the slave assist comes in that the gt2 doesnt have?
I was referring to the power steering unit (rack) up front being the same. The engine driven power steering pump is the same on the tip as the GT2, the 6speed pump is different due to the coupler for the clutch accumulator.