996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Long term storage?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Long term storage?

Other than fuel stabilizer and putting it up on jack stands to avoid flatting spotting what should I do. I also will put a trickle charger on the battery. This will be for about 7 months while I do my part to support the war effort. Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Raza is on a distinguished road
I would recommend a quality Battery TENDER vs. a trickle charger. The Battery tender will not over charge your battery like the trickle chargers can and "cook" it. The TENDER lets the battery drain a bit and then recharges it.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Also, it is best to change the oil if it's not fairly fresh,
and make sure your gas tank is full to the top so
there's minimum air gap for condensation. Cover the car,
and put rat baits and traps near anywhere the stands
or car touch the ground. I had a car get it's sound
insulation torn up by a rodent making a nest during
long term storage.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
If you leave it on jacks, you must coat the pistons on the shocks with waterproof grease to keep them clean and free from corrosion. Otherwise, first time you use the car, the seals will be destroyed. Don't forget to put pantyhose over the tailpipe and sticky mouse traps in the engine compartment, trunk and cabin. Might as well soak the leather with conditioner too, depending on how long you are storing the car. I would remove the battery and store it in a cool, dry place.

Oh, by the way....thank's for serving!

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 08-09-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Why not get someone to come over and take it out 2 to 4 times a month?

Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM
vtgts300kw will become famous soon enough
that would be the best idea (neils) as you wouldnt have to worry about anything, just as long as you trust the guy, or girl.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
I am currently in Europe for 2.5 months and my car is in a storege place. I just remove the batter negative pole, cover it, full tank and a friend is going every 10 weeks to start the engine for 15-20 minutes....I will return end of the year Nov-Dic to ride my beast again...and I really really really misssss it

Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 AM
mpwrmodena is on a distinguished road
Do the following on this list, never failed me.

Clean the entire car, even underneath and in wheel wells.

Fill the fuel tank to prevent condensation and add fuel stabilizer. Drive a few miles to get the stabilized fuel into the carburetors/injectors.

While the engine oil is warm, drain it and refill the crank case with fresh oil.

If you change the oil filter, pre-fill the new filter with fresh oil before installing it to help prevent premature wear and tear at startup.

Change brake fluid and coolant.

Set the tire pressures.

Park the car on a sheet of plastic to keep moisture that may come up through the concrete away from your car.

Remove, service, clean, and charge the battery. Clean the battery tray and cables. Store the battery in a cool, dry place off the cement floor. Check its state of charge every month.

Fill several old gym socks with moth *****. Put them in or near the air filter, in the tail pipes, in the trunk, in the heater air duct, under the seats, and in the glove box. This will keep rodents out.

Make a note to remind you where you put the mothballs.

Use a cotton car cover that can breathe. Never cover cars long term with plastic, particularly out of doors. Plastic will trap moisture under it and sunlight will bake it onto the paint.

Once per month roll the car forward or backward a foot or so to prevent flat spotting the tires. This is particularly important for older cars with bias ply tires.

If the car is to be stored for an extended period, you might want to consider jacking it up and resting the frame on stands. Just keep in mind that in the event of a catastrophe such as fire or flood your car will be difficult to extract quickly.

A heated storage area is nice but it should be ventilated or dehumidified. Cold but dry is better than hot and humid. Remember that standard dehumidifiers don't work under 40 degrees Fahrenheit. For low temperature storage the thing to have is a desiccant bag

Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
I got thos tip from the michelin tire rep. Park the car on 2 layers of scrap carpet to help prevent flat spotting the tires (if you don't want to jack it up).

Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I also agree with neil. I do put mine away for the winter, but drive it 2-3 times a month. I park it on carpet inside a car jacket (http://www.autoanything.com/category...ar_Storage_Bag ) with a Techsoft cover on it. Also put out the rodent traps!

We salute you!

Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Gunther...

I'd keep an eye on ur beast if I had extra room in my garage :P

I wonder if you'll have internet access over there.. put a webcam so u can see ur baby when you want.

Have a safe trip, and 7 months over there.

KJ

SY 996 Turbo * 944 Turbo - sold * M3 SMG - sold * Lancer Evo 8 - sold * Boxster S - sold
Misc. Cars Forum

Old 08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I would like to thank each of you for your comments, I picked up a few more things to do.

1999Porsche911,

It is privilage to serve with our brave war fighters! I will only be a REMF. But still want to do my part.

HOOAH