996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY In Tank Fuel Pump Upgrade. (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
google nascar oval tubing

Old 04-02-2015, 01:59 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
segway.... fueling morphed into bent pipe lulz

Old 04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
google nascar oval tubing
Thats what im talking about dude, ive been looking for that for ages.
I was thinking about putting a couple of HKS BOV.s on the stock Y pipe, I reckon I have room.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
Thats what im talking about dude, ive been looking for that for ages.
I was thinking about putting a couple of HKS BOV.s on the stock Y pipe, I reckon I have room.
redneck to the rescue!

http://www.burnsstainless.com/304ovalsstubing.aspx

Last edited by 32krazy!; 04-02-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Even rednecks have their uses !!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
The reason to use larger diameter pipe is because every pipe has friction from the walls, the longer the run the more the friction. Thus, longer runs needs larger diameter inorder to maintain the same flow as a shorter smaller diameter pipe.

Honestly much of this is spitwad engineering. If you really want to determine the effect short of a ton of math why not simply plumb a mechanical vac guage into the pipe just an inch or so prior to the turbo inlet? If you see significant pressure drop the turbo is choking - simple as that. For some real fun do this on a stock intake setup

Oval tubing, pressed tubing, silicone hose, lots of options. As for filter positioning - the stock airbox gets fresh air from outside but it's a long run. Fender wells get lots of air from around the ducting. Upper ducts are something I really want to retain but I know someone doing some temp testing and I may do some of that myself. I'm going to be running size large intercoolers on a mildish setup so it'll be interesting.

Mods, any chance we could split this into yet another intake discussion? lol

Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
The reason to use larger diameter pipe is because every pipe has friction from the walls, the longer the run the more the friction. Thus, longer runs needs larger diameter inorder to maintain the same flow as a shorter smaller diameter pipe.

Honestly much of this is spitwad engineering. If you really want to determine the effect short of a ton of math why not simply plumb a mechanical vac guage into the pipe just an inch or so prior to the turbo inlet? If you see significant pressure drop the turbo is choking - simple as that. For some real fun do this on a stock intake setup

Oval tubing, pressed tubing, silicone hose, lots of options. As for filter positioning - the stock airbox gets fresh air from outside but it's a long run. Fender wells get lots of air from around the ducting. Upper ducts are something I really want to retain but I know someone doing some temp testing and I may do some of that myself. I'm going to be running size large intercoolers on a mildish setup so it'll be interesting.

Mods, any chance we could split this into yet another intake discussion? lol
my filters are behind the i/c not on top of it. all the ductwork remains 4.5" cores

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
That's my plan as well but I also know someone testing without top ducts since apparently most of the airflow is drawn not forced through the IC. We shall see, I prefer to keep ducts for sure!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
That's my plan as well but I also know someone testing without top ducts since apparently most of the airflow is drawn not forced through the IC. We shall see, I prefer to keep ducts for sure!
thats the guys running 6" cores and no room for ducts. hard to imagine its drawn not forced since theres no pressure on the ducting while sitting at a standstill. i can lay my hand at the opening and theres no draw at all. only way i could imagine a draw would be to install a puller fan on the bottom side of the cores

Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
How are you guys running the intake filters UNDER the intercooler? Pics?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 AM
thats the guys running 6" cores and no room for ducts. hard to imagine its drawn not forced since theres no pressure on the ducting while sitting at a standstill. i can lay my hand at the opening and theres no draw at all. only way i could imagine a draw would be to install a puller fan on the bottom side of the cores
Theres no draw until you are moving dude, faster you go the more draw.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
The "draw" comes from a "Venturi" effect of air moving past the lower rear IC exit while the vehicle is moving...

Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
Theres no draw until you are moving dude, faster you go the more draw.
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
The "draw" comes from a "Venturi" effect of air moving past the lower rear IC exit while the vehicle is moving...
guys it may be apples to oranges what your calling it but theres no "draw" at all. for those that are familiar with smoking you suck in air to create a "draw" pulling the smoke into your lungs. theres nothing in the ductwork that physically draws the air in. the air is static when still and forced thru the opening when the car is moving. the "venturi effect" ( thanx pwderhound i couldn't remember that term for the life of me!) creates more airspeed but again doesn't aid in drawing the air into the intercooler core. there was a thread i believe from a member who logged temps and found that over a certain speed 150? that there was actually a pocket formed around the opening that kept more air from entering. much like closing the tailgate on a truck. the air in the bed forms a layer that allows upper air to flow over the bed and not into it. this caused it temps to raise instead of lower due to higher speeds

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
How are you guys running the intake filters UNDER the intercooler? Pics?
think more beside the underneath. theres a space behind /beside the framework and the body that you can fit a filter into. a cut is made into the rear fender liner and the tubing runs from under the tire into the opening. allows full use of the i/c

sorry never took any pics

Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm. I can't visualize the placement. I was going to place mine above the ICs...seems like the best for fitment of 3" pipes/filters.

Also, I would imagine there's a low pressure area near the exit of the IC duct....hence pulling air through the fender intake and through the IC. I'm no engineer either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY In Tank Fuel Pump Upgrade. (pic heavy)