996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

3-blink turn signal relay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 AM
samx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to behold
Got mine hooked up and working tonight. Not quite as straight forward as I was expecting, but not that bad. It works, but not as seamlessly as other cars I've driven.

It might just be my car, but I get 4 flashes. It seems like the "timer" doesn't engage until after the stalk is released. So I have get initial flash when I press on the stalk, and as soon as I release it, I get the 3 automatic flashes. I've also had a couple of occasions where I get a single flash and no repeat. Neither are that big of a deal so I guess I'm just nitpicking. I'll give it a few days and see how I feel about it.

Stay tuned for a write-up, I should have it posted sometime this weekend. It was too dark out to get good photos.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:30 AM
gevans58 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Great Job!! I'm sure we're all looking forward to your posting, I for one certainly am!! Please post what you used for tools, parts, etc. if possible to make the task easier for us who are following in your footsteps...

Thanks again,
George

Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by samx
Got mine hooked up and working tonight. Not quite as straight forward as I was expecting, but not that bad. It works, but not as seamlessly as other cars I've driven.

It might just be my car, but I get 4 flashes. It seems like the "timer" doesn't engage until after the stalk is released. So I have get initial flash when I press on the stalk, and as soon as I release it, I get the 3 automatic flashes. I've also had a couple of occasions where I get a single flash and no repeat. Neither are that big of a deal so I guess I'm just nitpicking. I'll give it a few days and see how I feel about it.

Stay tuned for a write-up, I should have it posted sometime this weekend. It was too dark out to get good photos.
Points for you! I was going to have to break down and look at both wiring diagrams, stock up on a bunch of spare fuses, and try to do it myself. I was not optimistic.

Thanks for forging ahead. Looking forward to the writeup. Do you think that the 1 blink vs 4 blink thing is a timing issue that can be tweaked with a resistor, or do you think that user-training will make it more consistent over time?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by samx

If you can just post the wiring diagram you did, that would be immense. I'm going in on the vehicle for speakers and cross over upgrades so might as well get it all done.

Thanks for the drool update

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
lobuzz311 has a spectacular aura aboutlobuzz311 has a spectacular aura about
Yes, definitely interested in what it took to make it work. I was able to select 3-5 blinks in my old car and I had it set to 4, so your solution sounds perfect.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rxbike
If you can just post the wiring diagram you did, that would be immense. I'm going in on the vehicle for speakers and cross over upgrades so might as well get it all done. Thanks for the drool update
+1!! Wiring diagram...just pencil in what goes where..please. Thank you!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:42 PM
samx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to behold
Well, the wire colors are essentially what you see here, except that the BLACK/GREEN wire is only BLACK. Now, it's possible that your car has different wire colors than what I had, so the best way to go about it is by verifying the pinning locations. (which I can't do right this minute)

Just pull one wire at a time our of the hazard switch connector and replace it with the corresponding wire from the kit.

Also, the Lisle tool kind of sucks. While it works, it takes a lot of tugging a wiggling to get the contacts to release. I'm sure there are better options out there, but your probably looking at quite a bit more expense. Just be prepared for some pretty sore fingers after you're done.

I'll still try to get the full write-up done here in the next couple of days.

Originally Posted by Chef996TurboS

Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Write up is complete, I started a new thread to make it easier for newcomers to follow.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4090175

Old 04-13-2014, 05:47 AM
lobuzz311 has a spectacular aura aboutlobuzz311 has a spectacular aura about
That's an awesome writeup!
Now the question is whether it's worth the effort. Hmmm...

Old 04-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
That's an awesome writeup!
Now the question is whether it's worth the effort. Hmmm...
It's worth the effort if you are a conscientious turn signal user, particularly with lane changes.

I don't like manually clicking the turn signal stalk all the way such that it sticks in the slot, and then having to undo it back to turn the blinker off. Too much wear and tear on the mechanical mechanism, and frankly, I'll oftentimes forget to turn off the blinker, making me appear older and dafter than I really am.

Secondly, if the 3 blink signal is a "fire and forget", then I can look for a safe lane change spot, hit the signal, and merge. Lots of things are happening at that precise time, and the last thing that I want to do is to have to hold the signal in the little "pre-detent" position while scanning, and turning the wheel.

For me, maybe I got lucky, but this is exactly what a 3 blink signal does. Unlike SamX, mine does only go for 3 blinks and it's pretty consistent, like 99% of the time. The only difference between this and other systems that are stock in cars is that with mine, if I turn my signal all the way on past the detent, and then flick it back within a click or two, it'll go ahead and blink out the 3 full blinks. On other factory cars, once you pass the detent, the 3 blink feature isn't activated, and no subsequent blinks will happen.

That's a pretty minor difference.

So, basically, yes, I believe that this mod is worth it to me. I'd follow the writeup that SamX did, and I put some notes in there too that I hope will prove helpful to others.

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Ray_S is on a distinguished road
Great post!!

I just stepped across it and did a similar mod about a year ago already.

I used a universal aftermarket add-on relais from Waeco, MT2000 box. Not sure in which countries it is available though, bought mine in Germany for around 30 Euro.

Basically same approach, you have to hook into the hazard switch.

In case anyone steps across this module and wants to repeat it it - here are the cable colors:

Hazard Switch / Function / Waeco Module:

bl-gr / blinker right / yellow
Bl-wh / blinker left / orange
Bl / Kl. 15 / red
Br / Kl. 31 / black
Black-white-green rings / Kl 49a / green

Hooked it up and placed the additional relais close to the fuse and relais box.

Using it happily ever since ��

Old 07-19-2023, 11:48 AM
Blagdab is an unknown quantity at this point
Correction: Komfort Flasher Install

I followed the instructions posted here to install the VW Komfort Flasher in my 1999 996 and found them to be inaccurate - maybe just for my car, but in case it helps others, here's what worked for me: The posted picture in earlier instructions showing the numbering of the female receiving slots on the car's existing 4-way flasher plug is not correct for my car. That existing 4-way flasher female connector has an extended tab along one edge, which tab acts to correctly locate the connector in the car. Looking at the front of the connector, where the 4-way flasher switch plugs in, with the extended tab to the left, the top left receiving slot is number 1, and the bottom right slot is number 9. Using that numbering grid the wire colors in the instruction are correct: #1 = black/white; #2 = gray; #3 = green; #4 = red; #5 is empty; #6 = white; #7 = black/yellow; #8 = brown; #9 = white/green.
Took me a while to figure that out, but worth it - works like a charm.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:48 PM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
Holy Thread Resurrection!!! I still have this VW part new in the box.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-19-2023 at 06:31 PM.