996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Snapped timing chain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
nizzki will become famous soon enough
Snapped timing chain?

About half a mile from my house my car started acting very unhappy. I was just rolling down a hill at around 25mph in second heading home when it happened. I limped it home, where it's sitting now.

As for the symptoms, it started running rough, no power, ABS/PSM lights then a CEL.
I plugged in my durametric cable and got a number of codes:
P0348, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0135, P0155 and P0102.

After some searching i found a thread on here with similar symptoms that said a new crank sensor was in order. Then i finished reading the thread, and got majorly bummed out as the OPs timing chain had snapped.

My only hope is that i've lead a virtuous life and it isn't that catastrophic. My car still idles relatively smoothly without misfiring, which i did very briefly to get the codes from the car.
I also hit a P0348 a couple months back when i randomly checked the car using the durametric cable.

I'll have it towed to the shop tomorrow or the day after, but in the meantime, is there any hope that it's just a fried sensor?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
It can't run without a timing chain.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM
The op in the other thread had his engine run for short periods of time, but yea, that's the one thing giving me some hope.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yjosephtt
it can't run without a timing chain.

+1, no chain-no run....cam solenoid issue?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Not snapped chain. The engine would not run. Interference engine.

Most likely the camshaft position sensor is bad.

There is also a problem a bracket that holds the solenoid can break.

Best not start the engine but get the car flat bedded to a qualified shop. If it knows its Turbos it will have the parts pulled by the time you get through describing the symptoms.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
ok, that makes me feel better, I was concerned since the other guy was able to run his engine briefly. that thread had me really spooked. Doesn't help that the car really does feel like it's running on half an engine.

Anyway, I'll take it to a local porsche shop that it's been to before, probably get an early start on the next set of scheduled maintenance items since I'm guessing they'll be taking a bunch of stuff off anyway.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM
btw, here's the thread I keep referring to if anyone's interested: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...on-sensor.html

Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
GT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really nice
My car still ran, although roughly, with a snapped chain on bank 2.
I didn't know at the time that it was snapped so just kept trying to run it.
My scanner came up with cam position sensor amongst other things because obviously the cam wasting turning.
Not saying yours definately is the chain but the engine can certainly run on 1 bank.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
^must have been some wicked noises coming out of that!
I imagine must have been cheaper to use a replacement engine than repair what was left(valves/head, pistons/sleeves, cam housing, cam sprockets/jackshaft?)..?
Regards,

Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by GT2rainge
My car still ran, although roughly, with a snapped chain on bank 2.
I didn't know at the time that it was snapped so just kept trying to run it.
My scanner came up with cam position sensor amongst other things because obviously the cam wasting turning.
Not saying yours definately is the chain but the engine can certainly run on 1 bank.
how catastrophic was the damage when they pulled the engine out? did you fix it or just get a new/refurb engine?

Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 PM
GT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really nice
There was 2 bent valves, and I got the valve guides changed as well just in case.
Also a chain sprocket on the intermediate auxiliary shaft needed changing because all the teeth had got chewed to bits due to me keep trying to run it.
I did all the work myself, it was a challenge but I thoroughly enjoyed it to be honest.
Whilst my engine was completely apart I changed the other bank timing chain along with all the tensioners and ramps. It wasn't to bad to do but you need all the special tools to build up the pistons on the rods, lock the cams and time it all up.
Have you done a compression test yet?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 PM
There was 2 bent valves, and I got the valve guides changed as well just in case.
Also a chain sprocket on the intermediate auxiliary shaft needed changing because all the teeth had got chewed to bits due to me keep trying to run it.
I did all the work myself, it was a challenge but I thoroughly enjoyed it to be honest.
Whilst my engine was completely apart I changed the other bank timing chain along with all the tensioners and ramps. It wasn't to bad to do but you need all the special tools to build up the pistons on the rods, lock the cams and time it all up.
Have you done a compression test yet?
My car got towed to a porsche shop earlier today, i haven't heard back yet.
Dropping the engine and taking it apart is well beyond my abilities, and i don't have the tools/equipment to take it apart either.

I guess we'll see what they say, but i didn't hear any awful noise when i turned it on briefly in the garage. Hopefully i'll know something tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM
With a bit of luck it will just be a sensor or something with an easy fix.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM
With a bit of luck it will just be a sensor or something with an easy fix.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
thanks, hopefully I'll know what happened to the engine tomorrow...
Btw, is yours a x50 by any chance?
Also, how did it act while running with the snapped chain? Did you log the codes with it running?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nizzki
thanks, hopefully I'll know what happened to the engine tomorrow...
Btw, is yours a x50 by any chance?
Also, how did it act while running with the snapped chain? Did you log the codes with it running?

X50 and non X50 have the same engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped timing chain?