996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Preventative maintenance for second gear pop out that even a caveman can do. PICS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by orbelo
I have used the Gbox dedent(DO NOT USE!)

More info please!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
More info please!
Yes good point. I'm interested to know also why?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Sweet write-up Tim... Thanks for posting... I have used the Gbox dedent(DO NOT USE!) and the CMS arrester (GREAT PRODUCT). Do you know if this ball will be in sync with the CMS part? or will it cause an issues?

The CMS part is the true fix.. Nothing else is needed, Roger did his homework as he did with all his products.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Earl and JP, why would you pay 199.00 for a piece that does exactly what the 8mm ball does? I mic'd the ball from porsche and it is 7.90mm

Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Earl and JP, why would you pay 199.00 for a piece that does exactly what the 8mm ball does? I mic'd the ball from porsche and it is 7.90mm

Tim, thanks for the write-up. For me, I've already got a g-box detent in the trans ready to go back into the car. I've never had a popout issue, just put it in for insurance. Just want to be sure it isn't detrimental as Orbelo may be suggesting.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Same thing here, already got the Gbox mod. But I bought it at the beginning when it was only around $60.00. But I was worried about the "DO NOT USE" ;-)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Another great write up Tim !!
Thank you for all your contributions here, much appreciated.

I never had any issues but installed the gbox item four years and 5k miles ago. No problems with that item ether. I paid $69.00 for it back then.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 PM
orbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by earl3
More info please!
I sent my tranny to Gbox for the 997 GT2 1-3rd conversion, because of second gear popout and a broken 3rd gear. They replaced 1-3rd with 997GT2 gears and added the dedent. Three weeks after I got the box back, the 2nd gear poped out again. When I contact Gbox, they first said, we dont know how you are driving the car bla bla bla... I laughed, I have a high horse power car and I guess I don't know how to shift... anyways they asked me to send the box back to them and if it was anything on their end they would fix it.. Well the problem was just to get it back out to them it would cost $1,200 in labor to bring the box down and another $350 for shipping. I called them to discuss the cost involved and never got a call back from Stanley. BTW this was the second time the tranny had gone to Gbox in 12 months... The first time around I broke the 2nd gear which he supposedly fixed with 996tt gears, but for some miraculous reason it was still poping out.

I obviously didn't send the box back to them and just drove the car until the problem got worst (2nd) gear pop. As of about a month ago, I replaced the 2nd gear again and went with the CMS part. The second gear now goes in and stays in for good. BTW, if you have the Gbox dedent and get the CMS part, DO NOT Keep the Gbox dedent in there. It counters what the CMS part is supposed to do and the second gear will pop out. either do what Tim has written in this thread or get the CMS part.

Last edited by orbelo; 03-16-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
What kind of sealer are you using, will teflon tape do?

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Here is a DIY for second gear pop out or more so a solid feel in the shifter that the next gear is engaged.

You will need to remove the panels that cover the trans also may need to lower the trans.

Tools: 13mm socket, 8mm allen, small magnet and some sealer.

The trans

the plug thats need to be remove in order to gain access, bolt needs to be removed first.

8mm allen needed to remove plug.

Plug out, clean sealer off.

Use the magnet to remove spring and detent

Now the big trick.. I add a 8mm ball that is a factory part to pre load the spring a bit more. place the ball inside the detent and insert the factory spring on top of it. This mod will make the shifts feel solid and firm.

Here is a before and after the 8mm ball

re install the plug with a little sealer on the treads and then put the bolt back in the trans case. Re install the under body and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Here is the part number for the 8mm ball.

#29. 900 108 064 00

Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I sent my tranny to Gbox for the 997 GT2 1-3rd conversion, because of second gear popout and a broken 3rd gear. They replaced 1-3rd with 997GT2 gears and added the dedent. Three weeks after I got the box back, the 2nd gear poped out again. When I contact Gbox, they first said, we dont know how you are driving the car bla bla bla... I laughed, I have a high horse power car and I guess I don't know how to shift... anyways they asked me to send the box back to them and if it was anything on their end they would fix it.. Well the problem was just to get it back out to them it would cost $1,200 in labor to bring the box down and another $350 for shipping. I called them to discuss the cost involved and never got a call back from Stanley. BTW this was the second time the tranny had gone to Gbox in 12 months... The first time around I broke the 2nd gear which he supposedly fixed with 996tt gears, but for some miraculous reason it was still poping out.

I obviously didn't send the box back to them and just drove the car until the problem got worst (2nd) gear pop. As of about a month ago, I replaced the 2nd gear again and went with the CMS part. The second gear now goes in and stays in for good. BTW, if you have the Gbox dedent and get the CMS part, DO NOT Keep the Gbox dedent in there. It counters what the CMS part is supposed to do and the second gear will pop out. either do what Tim has written in this thread or get the CMS part.
I have the Gbox detent in my gearbox and have over 50 track days on it since without any issues. I paid around $80 for it. With that said, a couple of years ago I have visited Gbox at their shop and spoke with the owner. What a clown. Shop was dirty and disorganized and Stan's knowledge was sub par. The only thing he was good at was criticizing other shops. I wouldn't let these guys get within 50 feet of my gearbox.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Very informative thread. Great write up Tim, thanks!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:33 AM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !

Nice write up!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	caveman.jpg
Views:	2968
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	347913  
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !

I am also not a fan of GBox but the detent does work as advertised. If your car is experiencing 2nd gear pop out already the detent will not fix it or might but temporarily. Its a preventative mod to keep a healthy trans from developing 2nd gear popout.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Tim, That is the coolest little trick I have seen in years.
thanks !

Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+rep Tim. Nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Preventative maintenance for second gear pop out that even a caveman can do. PICS