996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Project Pineapple Express - Build Update V.3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Project Pineapple Express - Build Update V.3

I'm excited to say that the next revision to my car is finally underway at AIM Performance NJ (www.facebook.com/AIMPerformanceNJ)

Here is a quick recap of what has been done to date:

Starting Point:
  • Purchased December 2013
  • 2002 996 Turbo w/ X50 package
  • Eurodyne Tune
  • 5 Bar FPR
  • H&R Springs
  • 997SSK

V1:
  • Completed February 2014
  • Custom Exhaust, Tune Refresh

V2:
  • Completed February 2015
  • K24/20 Turbos w/ Clipped Wheels
  • Custom headers w/ PTE 46mm external wastegates
  • ProEFI 128 w/ FlexFuel Kit
  • Custom Y-Pipe w/ dual BOV
  • Walbro 460, Bosch 044, 1400cc inj, upgraded fuel rails
  • Updated X-Pipe Exhaust (added mufflers, new tips, and plumbed the wastegate dumps into the system)
  • IPD Plenum
  • 997.1TT Intake manifold
  • Pinned coolant pipes
  • ERP Twin Disk Carbon clutch
  • GT2 Slave conversion
  • Forge boost hoses
  • AWE Intercoolers
  • RWD Conversion

V2.1:
  • Completed April 2016
  • 997TT Rotors
  • Hawk HPS Pads
  • Torque Solutions Engine Mounts
  • Torque Solutions Transmission Mounts

E85 High Boost Map

PLANS FOR V3
  • Build began May 2016, Est. Completion June 2016
  • Transmission build (GT2RS gears, strengthened components)
  • WaveTrac Differential
  • Engine build (rods, bolts, gaskets, rod bearings, head refresh, head porting, 997 lifters, valve job)
  • Welded coolant lines
  • Custom tuning by TurtleTooned.com

GOALS FOR V3
A very reliable and drivable platform that I can cruise around with and take to the half-mile events when I want. First and foremost I do not want to give up the drivability of the car as I take it to work every day in the warmer months and make weekend trips frequently.

I am not upgrading the turbos just yet (unless someone wants to buy my existing set). The built motor/trans will allow me to have the peak power I have now across a wider rev/gear range, without fear of damaging the internals.

Got this from Joe at AIM Performance on Friday night

Last edited by DSCOFF; 05-22-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:10 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Very nice, I almost feel like I'm right behind you too! My car is at AIM as well and Garth is tuning it. 656whp on pump so far, also with a 128. E85 coming! Did you have issues that pushed you towards building the trans or is this just preventative? How thick an intercooler? I'm still on internal gates and tuning them has proven touchy but I really don't want externals

Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Very nice, I almost feel like I'm right behind you too! My car is at AIM as well and Garth is tuning it. 656whp on pump so far, also with a 128. E85 coming! Did you have issues that pushed you towards building the trans or is this just preventative? How thick an intercooler? I'm still on internal gates and tuning them has proven touchy but I really don't want externals
b/w 7163 turbos have internal w/g to 40 psi!!

dscoff looks like a killer build!

Old 05-22-2016, 03:59 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Ya ya, if these turbos aren't doing it for me EFR are at the top of the list for sure. I want to see what the dyno curve looks like and log boost response. The dyno plots above will be helpful for sure. Boost just can't be ramped right now till after torque peak.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:13 PM
ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !
Nice

Good luck with it.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:29 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Thanks man. The transmission decision was two-fold. I was experiencing issues with 1st gear popping out now and then from a stand still, and also sometimes had difficulty getting into 3rd at WOT. Once I did the tras/engine mounts the 1st gear issue got worse as there was much less movement.

At this point my options were to rebuild to stock spec or rebuild with use and power goals in mind. The benefits of going built were: added piece of mind, longer gearing, and what should ultimately help me stay at my goal of a perfectly streetable car with less chance of having to have it down in the shop again.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
b/w 7163 turbos have internal w/g to 40 psi!!

dscoff looks like a killer build!
Thanks Steve! I'm really looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

Originally Posted by ccjimmyb
Nice

Good luck with it.
Thanks buddy, hopefully we are both up and running soon! Hope to meet you at an event soon. We've got the PA 1/2 mile in July if you can make it

Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 PM
ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Thanks buddy, hopefully we are both up and running soon! Hope to meet you at an event soon. We've got the PA 1/2 mile in July if you can make it
I'm up and running just making some changes. Swapping the proefi out in favor of a motec.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
nice - would love to see your car. never been to AIM either although i know they do some quality builds

Old 05-22-2016, 08:19 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
You made 764 to the wheels on stock rods?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:54 PM
EstorilM is on a distinguished road
Stupid question...

What wheels are those in the last picture (black ones). I need them

Old 05-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by BauerR
Torque is what you need to sweat most is my understanding. Once past torque peak you can increase boost as octane allows and make a good bit more power if the turbos can breathe.

On my car the same thing is being done, low boost until past torque peak and then ramping up to push power up top. Makes for a higher peak number but area under the curve is far lower than it would be if rods were already onboard and the turbo turned up down low. Make sense?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by EstorilM
Stupid question...

What wheels are those in the last picture (black ones). I need them
Fikse Profil 10 or FM10 (don't remember off the top of my head). ButziGear is the man to call for wheels, he knows fitment on these cars inside and out.

Originally Posted by BauerR
Yes, but that is on the high boost E85 map which I've only used maybe 10 times. The boost/torque is controlled to peak at 764, while staying safe at lower RPMs. Off the top of my head it graduated from 18-28 PSI.

Originally Posted by Jferrante
nice - would love to see your car. never been to AIM either although i know they do some quality builds
Once its done I'll be at all the Bergen C&C and SlipStream 1/2 Mile events.

Torque is what you need to sweat most is my understanding. Once past torque peak you can increase boost as octane allows and make a good bit more power if the turbos can breathe.

On my car the same thing is being done, low boost until past torque peak and then ramping up to push power up top. Makes for a higher peak number but area under the curve is far lower than it would be if rods were already onboard and the turbo turned up down low. Make sense?
Thanks, that explanation basically hit it spot on.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM
More progress today (w/ that gem of an RWB in the back)

Old 05-23-2016, 01:41 PM
How's that silver car looking? I'm told it sounds great with the cats out

Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM
How's that silver car looking? I'm told it sounds great with the cats out
The silver 996? I didn't hear it while it was there, but it looked good (if I'm thinking of the right one). I also saw a few other 996TTs while I was there last week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Project Pineapple Express - Build Update V.3