996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 GT2/3 lower control arms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
996 GT2/3 lower control arms

Hi guys,

i need more camber for the track, so i decided to buy some adjustable lower control arms for the front. I took the ones for the 6GT3 and 6GT2 which are the same.
I have a question for mounting them. I red, that you need to flip them to the other side, means the left LCA goes to the right side of the car and vice versa. The off center mounting hole needs to point to the front of the car. The lower diagonal arm will be attached to this off center point of the LCA.
With 7mm of shims the caster will be unchainged.
Can anyone confirm this.

Thx in advance

Old 06-27-2017, 07:29 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Correct.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
I guess you were the one who wrote that once...rennlist i guess?

Do you know what happens if you mount the LCAs the right way? What happens to the caster then? Or what happens if you attach the diagonal arm to the center hole? Undriveable?
Or can you improve the stearing maybe and how?

Lots of questions...
Please enlighten me pwdrhound

Old 06-27-2017, 08:04 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
I guess you were the one who wrote that once...rennlist i guess?

Do you know what happens if you mount the LCAs the right way? What happens to the caster then? Or what happens if you attach the diagonal arm to the center hole? Undriveable?
Or can you improve the stearing maybe and how?

Lots of questions...
Please enlighten me pwdrhound
The maintenance manual has the info backwards. Since the thrust arm is a fixed length, as you lengthen the LCA with shims it naturally gets pulled forward increasing castor. You have to have a way to "push" it back otherwise you will have interference between the tire and the front fender liner / blinker area. With the Motorsport arms it's easy to dial out since they have a rotating solid caster puck but with the street GT2/3 arms you have use the offset hole which needs to point in and toward the front of the car. I posted pictures of it about 5 years ago when I ran the street LCAs. They might still be up. Keep in mind 10mm of shims roughly equal 1 degree of camber.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 06-27-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Thumbs up

Thx alot John!
You are a spring of wisdom!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Thx alot John!
You are a spring of wisdom!
No problem. You're welcome.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Since the LCA`s in the front should increase the track, should i get some in the rear too? More track is always good i guess?
If so, do the LCA`s in the rear need to get flipped too? Left side to the right and vice versa?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
1 piece arms are good for rear

Old 07-03-2017, 02:21 AM
I get enough camber with stock LCA. More than -1,5 i dont want anyways.
But i would like to encrease the track of the rear axle. Possible with LCA and maybe adjustable thrust arm?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Be careful with too much track if your running the front wheel drive still. You may need a spacer for your front drive shafts so there is no extra load on the CVs. I had this issue, where the wider track used up all the travel on the cv joint.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 AM
Thx for the hint. I red about it and will take care of it.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 AM
I get enough camber with stock LCA. More than -1,5 i dont want anyways.
But i would like to encrease the track of the rear axle. Possible with LCA and maybe adjustable thrust arm?
You can not increase track in the rear with longer LCAs as you would be increasing camber at the same time since the upper shock mount is fixed. This is what the camber eccentrics essentially do. If you want to maximize rear track, run wheels with a more aggressive offset. Spacers are a cheap way to achieve the same result.

I run split rear RSR LCAs but I do not use any shims. Replacing the stock units with the Porsche Motorsport LCAs is a smart move if you are looking to maximize performance and handling as they come with mono ***** and adjustable thrust arm bushings. Obviously the Motorsport units are much stronger than the street parts. For street cars it's not a huge deal but for heavily tracked cars I would definitely recommend replacing the rears. I've seen the stock units fail on high mileage track cars and the result is carnage..

Old 07-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Thx guys,

any hints about the drive shaft spacers`?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Thx guys,

any hints about the drive shaft spacers`?
Tarett sells them I think.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM
stv951 is a jewel in the roughstv951 is a jewel in the roughstv951 is a jewel in the rough
Any benefits from using GT2/3 LCA on the street car ?
I rarely go to the track with my 6TTC hence i guess i wont need so much camber

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT2/3 lower control arms