996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 01TT
Agreed somewhat, but I thought the 996TT does even better when converted to RWD?
I guess there is an exception to every thought.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cjv
Strange ............ KA doesn't seem to have this problem. But I'll have to agree, they were not designed to be the ultimate drag vehicle.
I thought KA hasent driven for years??

Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Yea i always wondered and found it odd how and why there is so much hop and boggin in these cars, with having AWD and engine in rear for the traction, makes me not even want tot drag my car being in-experienced with it, i'[ll be running 13's jk

Old 04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lithium
Sure but you will see 1.3 and 1.4 60' times. Talons have been running 8-sec passes for years, and a few are into 7's already. I dont see many valid points in your original post, a TT can run just as fast with a proper setup.

You just proved my point, I said the 996TTs don't have the proper setup.

I'm sure that the Talons you're talking about have changed more than just turbochargers and drag radials. My point is that the 996TTs have many things working against them in a drag race. Are you disagreeing wth me? You think that the 996TT is setup well for drag racing?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
Not true. My throttle body does not shut down on PSM command.
PSM also controls the brakes:

"PSM uses a series of sensors as well as information from the Porsche Traction Management System, to monitor direction, speed, yaw velocity and lateral acceleration. PSM then uses the sensor readings to calculate the actual direction of vehicle travel.

The system can reduce understeer caused by sudden steering inputs when changing lanes or negociating a rapid sequence of bends, as well as mitigate understeer encountered when entering a corner at speed, especially in low-grip conditions. If the vehicle begins to oversteer or understeer, PSM applies selective braking on individual wheels to help keep the vehicle on the desired cornering line. If braking alone isn't enough to maitain control, PSM then utilizes the engine management system to control engine output in order to stabilize the handling.
PSM also compensates for mid-corner changes in load resulting from deceleration or braking, and when accelerating with the rear wheels on different surfaces, it improves traction and keeps the vehicle on course. Braking is stable in all types of weather, while braking distances are reduced to a minimum."

Do you have a different type of PSM than the rest of us?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
PSM also controls the brakes...Do you have a different type of PSM than the rest of us?
If the PSM is selected "OFF", then there is NO intervention at all unless the brakes are engaged and the car in the PSM "correction" window.

With the PSM off, you can spin the wheels and drift to your hearts content without any throttle reduction and/or brake intervention...as long as you don't touch the brake.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
How can u say that a 996TT was not made for the track.. the 1/4 mile drag it was not made for but people have gotten some fast times, with 60's in the 1.3-1.5 range. They handle so well that at a track this is an advantage over other cars. although u can make the point of the weight etc etc etc, but they can pretty much do whatever u set them up for. always have been, are, and always will be a superior car.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
How can u say that a 996TT was not made for the track.. the 1/4 mile drag it was not made for but people have gotten some fast times, with 60's in the 1.3-1.5 range. They handle so well that at a track this is an advantage over other cars. although u can make the point of the weight etc etc etc, but they can pretty much do whatever u set them up for. always have been, are, and always will be a superior car.
I said exactly the opposite,
With that being said, how cool is it to have a car that runs like a bat out of hell in the 1/4, eats everything up on a roadcourse and then drives like a mild mannered every day car around town.
Where have you seen an AWD 996TT get a 1.3-1.5 60' time? In order to do so, you have to change the basic nature of the car...WHICH WAS MY ORIGINAL POINT.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
They are not well suited to drag racing. The reason why powerful 6speed TT's took so long to get into the 10s is the difficulty in launching. Almost every 996TT I've seen launched hard ends up bogging. 1/4mile times are all about the 60 foot. The second reason is that only this year are we seeing folks actually using DR's, going RWD, using softer suspension and that sort of thing. When set up right and with the right conditions and a GOOD driver it's doable.

Let's put it this way a 15,000 Camaro with slicks skinies, 150 shot and a blower can easily run low 10s and 9s. You see it everytime. Or what about the oldschool domestics that can do 1.3-1.4 60 foots? Sorry but I do not see a 996TT doing that any time soon. Not in AWD mode. Nope. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, I'd happy to see a video but I doubt that'll happen...

Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
They are not well suited to drag racing. The reason why powerful 6speed TT's took so long to get into the 10s is the difficulty in launching. Almost every 996TT I've seen launched hard ends up bogging. 1/4mile times are all about the 60 foot. The second reason is that only this year are we seeing folks actually using DR's, going RWD, using softer suspension and that sort of thing. When set up right and with the right conditions and a GOOD driver it's doable.

Let's put it this way a 15,000 Camaro with slicks skinies, 150 shot and a blower can easily run low 10s and 9s. You see it everytime. Or what about the oldschool domestics that can do 1.3-1.4 60 foots? Sorry but I do not see a 996TT doing that any time soon. Not in AWD mode. Nope. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, I'd happy to see a video but I doubt that'll happen...
I agree 1000%. That's also why you see the 996TT ETs and trap speeds so disproportionate. A trap speed of 140mph with a real drag car = an ET in the low 9's, not 10.37

Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

sharkster,

I give you a personal invite to watch KA's 1.4 60 very soon.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 PM
cjv
PSM also controls the brakes:

"PSM uses a series of sensors as well as information from the Porsche Traction Management System, to monitor direction, speed, yaw velocity and lateral acceleration. PSM then uses the sensor readings to calculate the actual direction of vehicle travel.

The system can reduce understeer caused by sudden steering inputs when changing lanes or negociating a rapid sequence of bends, as well as mitigate understeer encountered when entering a corner at speed, especially in low-grip conditions. If the vehicle begins to oversteer or understeer, PSM applies selective braking on individual wheels to help keep the vehicle on the desired cornering line. If braking alone isn't enough to maitain control, PSM then utilizes the engine management system to control engine output in order to stabilize the handling.
PSM also compensates for mid-corner changes in load resulting from deceleration or braking, and when accelerating with the rear wheels on different surfaces, it improves traction and keeps the vehicle on course. Braking is stable in all types of weather, while braking distances are reduced to a minimum."

Do you have a different type of PSM than the rest of us?
We defeated the throttle body shut of the down of the PSM years ago.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
We defeated the throttle body shut of the down of the PSM years ago.
Like I said, you have to change the very essense of the 996TT to make it a decent drag car.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
cjv

sharkster,

Three years ago you were at Infineron with us. It was 105 degrees with a 27 mph head wind. We were in the low 1.6 sec 60 footers. Did the car bog? If you remember correctly we almost hit the wall because she was going sideways.

Since then things have changed a bit. We bent all six rods about a year later with a sub 2.0 0-60 time. The latest motor with the present suspension will eclipse all our past times.

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

I give you a personal invite to watch KA's 1.4 60 very soon.
If I see a 1.4 60 foot from any 996 TT I will eat my hat (or least one of the Shark Werks hats)!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!