996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!

Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

Three years ago you were at Infineron with us. It was 105 degrees with a 27 mph head wind. We were in the low 1.6 sec 60 footers. Did the car bog? If you remember correctly we almost hit the wall because she was going sideways.

Since then things have changed a bit. We bent all six rods about a year later with a sub 2.0 0-60 time. The latest motor with the present suspension will eclipse all our past times.
Hi Chad,

Correct on drag radials it did indeed do a 1.67 60 foot. So far the best times we've seen (at least on 6speed) are 1.601 by John@EVO and myself. I think 1.5s are doable but 1.4-1.3 you'd be the new Eddie Bellow. I see cars do that every time I go to the drag strip. They are usually tubbed out torque monsters, with wheelie bars and so forth. The strength (if you can call it that?) of the 996TT in drag racing (sort of an oxymoron) is the trap speed it is capable of. Like RennTechV12 said, trap speeds of 134-140 are more than plenty for a 9 second pass. Domestics would give their rear ends for a trap speed that high...

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
Another thing that makes it difficult is the fact that our PSM is never really off. When it detects wheelspin, it takes power away (or applies the brakes) to the spinning wheel(s).
I realized that 3 years ago and I hate it.... its really tuff and guys at the strip usually laugh at me cause they just dont get it... I even let my friend run my car... and he does 8s in his... very experienced... and his times are as bad as mine...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hi Chad,

Correct on drag radials it did indeed do a 1.67 60 foot. So far the best times we've seen (at least on 6speed) are 1.601 by John@EVO and myself. I think 1.5s are doable but 1.4-1.3 you'd be the new Eddie Bellow. I see cars do that every time I go to the drag strip. They are usually tubbed out torque monsters, with wheelie bars and so forth. The strength (if you can call it that?) of the 996TT in drag racing (sort of an oxymoron) is the trap speed it is capable of. Like RennTechV12 said, trap speeds of 134-140 are more than plenty for a 9 second pass. Domestics would give their rear ends for a trap speed that high...
Sorry Alex, I hit the edit instead of the quote button.

Alex,

Most turbo's don't have a chance with a 36 mph first. If anything they are spinning their tires away. The TIPS don't have that problem .............. but have you ever launched your TIP at 7200?

By the way ............ I believe you can confirm the DR's were spinning in the wheels at the time. This was verified visually and with the shoe polish.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Sorry Alex, I hit the edit instead of the quote button.

Alex,

Most turbo's don't have a chance with a 36 mph first. If anything they are spinning their tires away. The TIPS don't have that problem .............. but have you ever launched your TIP at 7200?

By the way ............ I believe you can confirm the DR's were spinning in the wheels at the time. This was verified visually and with the shoe polish.
Ok so next thing to try is slicks... And no I have not launched at 7200 before. About 3800-4K is as high as I've ever gone. It's a fine line though for me as I bog too if I launch too hard. I don't know of any other car launching at 7200 rpms at the drag strip when I usually go... That won't necessarily give you the type of traction you want. You may just end up spinning anyways in which case a 1.4 is not going to be easy.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Hi Chad,

Sharkster,

Please do not take this wrong. Do you really believe that VRAlexander's car wouldn't smash a 1.601? KA was in the 1.4's just prior to bending all the rods. Like I said, you will get a personal invite to witness her next run in the not too distant future. I love it when everyone says 1.4's aren't possible in a 996tt.

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
If you do a 1.3 60 foot I'll be the first to congratulate you and if you do a 1.5 or 1.6 and still break the record I'll still be the first to congratulate you.... I haven't seen the car run in a couple of years so right now we're talking about what it could/should do so I hope that you get her back soon and see what she does

Old 04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
Sharkster,

Please do not take this wrong. Do you really believe that VRAlexander's car wouldn't smash a 1.601? KA was way below that just prior to bending all the rods.
Alex'? I can see his doing a 1.5 or so... but if you think he can or you can do a 1.3 then you're in the same range as Shepherd and his AWD talons.... Anyways if you read what I said, I did say 1.5s are likely doable and have been done. All I was saying is "posted" times.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:01 PM
cjv
If you do a 1.3 60 foot I'll be the first to congratulate you and if you do a 1.5 or 1.6 and still break the record I'll still be the first to congratulate you.... I haven't seen the car run in a couple of years so right now we're talking about what it could/should do so I hope that you get her back soon and see what she does
sharkster,

I expect high 1.3's or very low 1.4's. The gearing and the clutch was in place when we blew the motor. The rods bent because the motor was the weak link due to the hp connecting to the ground. At the same time we broke the motor we cracked both Fiske 12.5" rear rims straight across. The newest addition has front and rear LSD's and a motor that makes the last motor look pale by comparison.

I'll definitely be looking for you after the run.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Im a partner in a evo tuning shop... we run 1.35 60ft. on slicks..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by 01TT
KA pulled a 1.4 60ft in a 996 at a dragstrip? What was his setup? AWD or RWD? What kinda tires? Etc.
1.456 to be exact. 4.0L Approx 660 rwhp with an additional 150 shot of nitrous, AWD, 3.16-1st gear (Now at redline she can exceed the maximum legal speed limit in Calif. in first gear and second will trap her above where the stock 996tt's trap in fourth), Tilton 3 disc clutch, BFG DR's, AWD.

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Im a partner in a evo tuning shop... we run 1.35 60ft. on slicks..
I may have spoken prematurely about ALL AWD cars, the EVOs I've seen seem to fare well with their launches. I'll reserve my comments for the 996TT's...the 1.60 is the best DOCUMENTED 60' time I've seen from a 996TT, if anyone out there has something better please post it

Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cjv
1.456 to be exact. 4.0L Approx 660 rwhp with an additional 150 shot of nitrous, AWD, 3.16-1st gear (Now at redline she can exceed the maximum legal speed limit in Calif. in first gear and second will trap her above where the stock 996tt's trap in fourth), Tilton 3 disc clutch, BFG DR's, AWD.
Wow with that description you should ran 9's easy. What did you run?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:34 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by SCM3
Wow with that description you should ran 9's easy. What did you run?
SCM3,

We never finished the run. She started making strange noises about 3/4's of the way down just after we got into third. We lifted and braked.

Enough said ............... she will be done soon enough, we'll make a run and then I'll let sharkster give his eye witness report. Have a good evening.

I'll probably be getting another PM from VR telling me to settle down again.

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Eeek, that would have been a killer time! Any idea of the trap speed on that run? It will be exciting to see your car alive.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I agree with almost everything you said. The car is almost as difficult to launch in RWD mode. The one thing this car does have going for it is the rear weight bias.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!