996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!

With that being said, I think that it's incredible that guys are throwing up the kind of times that they are in these cars.

It seems that our friends in Stuttgart have done everything possible to keep us from ripping low ETs in these cars:super short 1st gear, AWD that's next to impossible to launch, six speed transmission that requires you to fully disengage the throttle at least 3 times on your way to the finish line, turbos that can't be spooled on the pre-launch, super tight suspension that gives almost no weight transfer for launches, big brakes that require big wheels and tires, I could go on...feel free to add to the list.

With that being said, how cool is it to have a car that runs like a bat out of hell in the 1/4, eats everything up on a roadcourse and then drives like a mild mannered every day car around town.

With some of the trap speeds I've seen on these cars, if you fitted a modded 996TT with a Detroit locker rear end and torque converter, a 3-speed power-glide transmission, 16" wheels with ET Drag tires, a 2-step turbo system to deliver max boost on take off, line-lock, a trans-brake and a super soft suspension for max weight transfer I think we would see 8 second passes on a routine basis. But then again, It wouldn't be a Porsche that has all of the traits that we have come to know and love

Old 04-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
This has always been my point of these super modded super high HP TT's whats the point if you want to drag race get a viper or a Z06 and save your $$$. The 996 finest point is when it is rolling already like any other TC car.!

Old 04-04-2006, 03:43 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 01TT
Just curious, why is the AWD "next to impossible to launch" in the 996TT? Is the AWD system in the Porsche worse for drag racing than it is in say an Evo, S4, etc?

Why do you need weight transfer when launching an AWD car?
Hard to launch because too much throttle=severe wheel hop and too little throttle=bogging.

AWD is not good for drag racing in any car. That's why all the really fast cars are RWD. You want weight transfer in a RWD car so all the weight can squat down over the rear wheels and launch you like you were shot out of a gun, here's an example:
http://www.scottsdaleexoticcarclub.c...vythunder.html

You're not going to make an AWD 996 lift the front wheels off of the ground like that.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Just curious, why is the AWD "next to impossible to launch" in the 996TT? Is the AWD system in the Porsche worse for drag racing than it is in say an Evo, S4, etc?

Why do you need weight transfer when launching an AWD car?
It's another reason you wont see AWD cars getting 1.3 - 1.5 60' times

Old 04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
MGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RennTechV12

With some of the trap speeds I've seen on these cars, if you fitted a modded 996TT with a Detroit locker rear end and torque converter, a 3-speed power-glide transmission, 16" wheels with ET Drag tires, a 2-step turbo system to deliver max boost on take off, line-lock, a trans-brake and a super soft suspension for max weight transfer I think we would see 8 second passes on a routine basis. But then again, It wouldn't be a Porsche that has all of the traits that we have come to know and love
Hmm, sounds like a new project for you!

Old 04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
VRAlexander
and here is what in in-car 7second ride looks like from inside.....my poor camera...

http://media.putfile.com/ChowDog-Record

Hey Joe,
Would'nt it be nice to launch our turbos with 32psi on the transbrake?
BTW...You did mean to write '2-speed power glide' and not '3speed power glide' ??

Last edited by VRAlexander; 04-04-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I understand why the weight transfer is necessary in a RWD car, but why is it needed for an AWD 996TT?

I agree that RWD is far superior to AWD for drag racing but I was just wondering if the Porsche's AWD system was any worse than the system used in Evos, S4s, etc. My S4 has pulled high 1.5 60fts at the dragstrip... definitely not as good as most RWD cars set up for drag racing, but still, I wouldn't call that next to impossible to launch either.
I think a lot of other 996TT drivers will agree that there's a fine line between the perfect launch and wheel hop or a bogged launch. I have talked to a buddy with a modded EVO 9. He launches at 6500 rpms off of the 2-step, that enables him to be at max boost on launch. If I launch my 996 at anything above 3300, it starts to wheel hop.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
My S4 has done mid to high 1.5's at the strip. My buddy's Evo has done 1.5's as well and he's only putting down 300-325 to the wheels! I also know other guys with Evos, DSMs, etc. that are pulling better than 1.5 60fts. Does the 996TT's rear engine setup make it more difficult to launch with the AWD intact?
Yes, it creates a very hard to get rid of wheel hop.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
I understand why the weight transfer is necessary in a RWD car, but why is it needed for an AWD 996TT?

I agree that RWD is far superior to AWD for drag racing but I was just wondering if the Porsche's AWD system was any worse than the system used in Evos, S4s, etc. My S4 has pulled high 1.5 60fts at the dragstrip... definitely not as good as most RWD cars set up for drag racing, but still, I wouldn't call that next to impossible to launch either.
Your S4 didn't have the vast variable RWD bias that the 911 turbo has, though. Keep in mind that our viscous unit can transfer anywhere from 5% front to 95% rear all the way to 40% front to 60% rear (or anywhere in between). Thus, when you launch, the rears break loose while the power begins to transfer to the front. Having a static 50/50% or 40/60% split would be a lot more easier to deal with. My previous 3000GT VR-4 had a near static 40/60 split and I could pull 1.69 60ft times on the stock tires. Launching the 911 turbo is NOTHING like launching that car based on the AWD setup alone...

Old 04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Interesting... I wonder how the 996TT would do with stock tires on the front and drag radials or slicks in the back while retaining the AWD...
Another thing that makes it difficult is the fact that our PSM is never really off. When it detects wheelspin, it takes power away (or applies the brakes) to the spinning wheel(s).

Old 04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah, the S4 has something similar to that called EDL. My car has a kill switch which disables it while retaining the ABS. Has anyone figured out a way to completely disable the PSM in your cars?
You can pull the MAF, but you lose your ABS also. Maybe some of the tuners can speak to this.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:17 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I am curious if the GT2 can have better trap time with the same mods, weight and driver.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
It's another reason you wont see AWD cars getting 1.3 - 1.5 60' times
Excuse me. I believe your information is not correct.

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
That's odd... Why do you think it wheel hops like that? Does it have something to do with all the weight being over the rear wheels combined with the AWD?
Read Motor Trend's latest issue titled 911 "something" does a great job of answering your question.

Last edited by cjv; 04-04-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 PM
cjv
You can pull the MAF, but you lose your ABS also. Maybe some of the tuners can speak to this.
Why pull the MAF, there is a larger MAF available and it works rather well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!