996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I agree 1000%. That's also why you see the 996TT ETs and trap speeds so disproportionate. A trap speed of 140mph with a real drag car = an ET in the low 9's, not 10.37
The 60-130 mph measurements should provide better insight into the true power of the 996TT.

Craig

Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
SNIP.......
I personally think it's a fine drag car in stock or modded configuration. The launches could be better...but it makes up for it on the back 1/8th. I guess it just depends who you ask.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I personally think it's a fine drag car in stock or modded configuration. The launches could be better...but it makes up for it on the back 1/8th. I guess it just depends who you ask.
Of couse you do Mr. 10.65

Your car with a different setup and the same power to weight ratio would be running mid 9's.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
If I see a 1.4 60 foot from any 996 TT I will eat my hat (or least one of the Shark Werks hats)!

Craig

Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I agree with almost everything you said. The car is almost as difficult to launch in RWD mode. The one thing this car does have going for it is the rear weight bias.
Agreed. Many people on this forum have achieved better 60' times on stock tires using AWD than I did with RWD and DR's. It really comes down to how much you want to beat on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Of couse you do Mr. 10.65

Your car with a different setup and the same power to weight ratio would be running mid 9's.
That same day at the track there were two Lightnings on slicks that made 650rwhp cutting 1.4 60' times that were only running 10.8's. And a SVT Cobra that was making 620 rwhp cutting 1.5 60' times on DR's only running 11.2's.

Even with my bad 1.80 60' times...my car, only making 565-570 rwhp that day, was still the fastest street car on the track, with only one trailered race car being faster.

My point is that even with the disadvantage of low 60' times...modded TT's can still stomp equal HP cars that run much better 60' times.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-05-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Speaking of drag racing, I just got this picture from my photographer and had to post it:

Old 04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 01TT
Wow, very impressive! This was at a dragstrip, right? Not a gtech or the type of timing equipment that was used at the shootout a few years back? Did you get to the 330' mark before the rods bent? If so, what was that time? Thanx.
I think that was with a g-tech but those are not accurate.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
If I see a 1.4 60 foot from any 996 TT I will eat my hat (or least one of the Shark Werks hats)!
Alex,

When you get the invite, the price of admission will be "one Shark Werks hat" and you have to promise not to begin eating it until after I return from the run. A video of you chomping away at your hat will be priceless along with making for some excellent advertising. I think once we deliver the 60 foot time I'll just coast to the end so as to possibly collect on another priceless video in the future.

Last edited by cjv; 04-05-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

When you get the invite, the price of admission will be "one hat" and you have to promise not to begin eating it until after I return from the run. A video of you chomping away at your hat will be priceless.
Hehe I would rather eat my hat and see you pull a 1.3/1.4 (if it's a 1.3 I'll eat two hats!).. If anyone deserves to do it- it'd be you. You've waited long enough!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Hehe I would rather eat my hat and see you pull a 1.3/1.4 (if it's a 1.3 I'll eat two hats!).. If anyone deserves to do it- it'd be you. You've waited long enough!!!
Alex,

The bet is a 60 foot time in the 1.4's or lower. Agree or not? If we do it you eat a "Shark Werks" had while I video the feast.

Last edited by cjv; 04-05-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

The bet is a 60 foot time in the 1.4's or lower. Agree or not? If we do it you eat a "Shark Werks" had while I video the feast.
That's the deal Chad If it's a 1.3 I'll eat two hats

Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Craig

Craig

I will bring the mustard and Alex's favorite BBQ sauce!
(talk about indigestion!)

Old 04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by VRAlexander

I will bring the mustard and Alex's favorite BBQ sauce!
(talk about indigestion!)
Alexander,

If sharkster agrees, I would like to ask if you could provide the video as well as being a witness.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:35 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
I said exactly the opposite,

Where have you seen an AWD 996TT get a 1.3-1.5 60' time? In order to do so, you have to change the basic nature of the car...WHICH WAS MY ORIGINAL POINT.
Was kind of in a rush, the Yankees opener was on(which they won 15-2 by the way if u didnt watch). I guess you did say what a great car it was for all this stuff. I just read it too fast and replied. But kean observations otherwise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The 996TT is a HORRIBLE drag racing car!!