996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OT: Touareg V8 or Cayenne S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
OT: Touareg V8 or Cayenne S?

I need objective feedback.

Seriously considering a VW Touareg over a Cayenne S.

A fully loaded Toureg comes to about 51k.

A Cayenne S with the same equipment is 75k.

In your honest opinions, is the Cayenne worth the extra 24k?

Old 12-20-2003, 09:58 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Oh man, I went through this last summer. I have a Colorado Red T-Reg in the garage now. As SUV of the year and 30K cheaper not evern I could do it. I love it. I didn't need the crest for 30K. Both are made in the same factory on the same line....In the Rep of Chech. Both have the same Japanese tranny and the T-reg is the A8 motor, Porsche tweaks with a larger bore and intake. Even the pedals were the same. I LOVE and I mean LOVE the Vee-Dub. Best money spent thus far. Pulls a trailer and car like no ones business as well. You will not be sorry the T-Reg was your choice.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:58 PM
MWEELS is infamous around these parts
I didn't realize porsche and VW were back in bed that much.

MWEELS

Old 12-20-2003, 11:44 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
With your current garage, forget 'em and go buy a loaded GX470 for $47,000 (easily negotiated). Best SUV for the money. I own several SUV's but the GX is by far the best value.

Old 12-21-2003, 12:44 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
t-reg for sure. I drove one the other week and it was definately worth the price.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:52 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
David your talking MSRP dollars I assume.. My loaded S stickered at $76K I paid about about $10k less then that.. so that is something to consider.. Your not going to get that kind of discount on a T-egg.. Also when you compare Porsche service with VW Service.. there is no comparison.. Do you see VW dropping new engines cars if there is a RMS leak more then twice.. In my opinion you get what you pay for just my $.02

Here is a great post about a guy that had a dead battery..

"Today I got a check from P customer service, for $50.00.

Why?

I had a dead battery on my S for the second time in a month (1500mi) and I was pissed. I had to call in a tow again.

The tow was an hour late, but during the waiting period I called P customer service to bring them up to date. As you could expect, I was agressively abrupt.

The problem was a bad cell and the battery was replaced & my DME reprogrammed.

Why the 50 bucks? P customer service apologized for my wait and indicated while my time was worth more, this was in addition to the apology.

That's class. I paid the premium for an S (while shopping the Treg), but decided the manufacturer was worth it. I was right.

You can't imagine the amount of good will I fell toward PCNA."

Old 12-21-2003, 02:58 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin,
I guess the service aspect depends on where you are at...Our P dealer here SUCKS. The Vee-dub service has blown away anything my P dealer has ever done. The Vee-Dub dealer even gives my wife a T-Reg loaner when changing the oil. The Porsche dealer says they will RENT you a car. Even the buying experience was far superior to the arrogance of the P dealer. Heck, there is an issue with the SUVs that when putting the the hitch in the tail lights break, mine did. I called the dealer and told them and they could care less the work was done by me...They replaced them...Flip side to Porsche....After a week they still don't have my dash in my TT. I have had to source parts and even bring them in as well as go up there to s how them how to do the job. Even with your 10K discount compared to the loaded T-reg there still is no comparison....This is why the SUV of the

Old 12-21-2003, 07:26 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally posted by MJC123
With your current garage, forget 'em and go buy a loaded GX470 for $47,000 (easily negotiated). Best SUV for the money. I own several SUV's but the GX is by far the best value.
No thanks. I am not into the Lexus thing and I won't buy a car or SUV with a cheap solid rear axle. That is for pick up trucks. I want a fully independent suspension.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
By your last post, I can see that you want a real SUV, but otherwise, I would hace suggested a 2004 Audi A8L. It is a great Luxo car and has an excellent AWD capabilities. That being said, I have to agree with Stephen, that the T-reg would be a better choice. I have to say that the service you get all depends on your dealership, in my opinion, most of the time, Porsche will give you better service, but as Stephen says, there are many VW dealerships that are better that some Porsche dealerships. I also like the interior of the VW much better, I just think that the VW would be your best choice.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:54 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I chose the Infiniti FX45 over both of those. Although I'd take a Cayenne Turbo over all.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
I drove them back to back and I cannot say they are that equal in feel. The Cayenne S feels 100'S of times better than the VW if you're looking for an SUV that handles like a sports car. They're not even in the same world as far as handling and ride does regardless of how many components they share. I know they don't share suspension setup and IMO that's worth the extra $10k for the Cayenne.

BUT... if you're looking for a pure SUV that is a true SUV (not a car-like SUV) then don't get either of them. Save your money and get an Explorer or something. I guarantee I can do everything in my Explorer the little VW can and probably more with just a few bucks in mods. (And saved $20K!) So if $10 k to the Cayenne is a big deal, then how about $20k to the VW from a decked out Explorer. Or as mentioned save a little and get the Lexus which is a much better SUV than any of the above. (or get the Toyota equivalent)

Old 12-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by ShankGT2
I chose the Infiniti FX45 over both of those. Although I'd take a Cayenne Turbo over all.
I really like the FX45. It is just a bit small inside.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by mehrabani1
By your last post, I can see that you want a real SUV, but otherwise, I would hace suggested a 2004 Audi A8L. It is a great Luxo car and has an excellent AWD capabilities. That being said, I have to agree with Stephen, that the T-reg would be a better choice. I have to say that the service you get all depends on your dealership, in my opinion, most of the time, Porsche will give you better service, but as Stephen says, there are many VW dealerships that are better that some Porsche dealerships. I also like the interior of the VW much better, I just think that the VW would be your best choice.
I love the A8 but I am not looking for a sedan.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:46 AM
So what are the differences with the air suspension equipped Touareg and Cayenne? Are the air suspensions different? Could the differences lie in the tire set up? Is it more then that?

Old 12-21-2003, 10:53 AM
The suspensions are nearly Identical. Everything from the control module for the ESP (Vee Dub) as compared to the PSM, the air ride control module, the casting on the suspension, even the strut housing. The valveing may be different but I seriously doubt that. The cars even use the same ECU. There are several differences however in the tire and wheel combo. Porsche and Vee Dub do not share the same combos. Everything I have researched and physically torn apart and compared to the Cayenne suspension is identical. What is funny is watch the boards and you can see similar conversions about thing that bug both the Cayenne and T-Reg owners. Someone will pop up with an issue on the Vee Dub Forums then it will arise in the Porsche world weeks later. For example, Porsche owners are now finding out that the hitch system was designed for the Europe market and lighting system. We need a 7 way to 4 way converter for tail lights. The control module that is installed with the hitch is freaking out when trying to use the US system and will prevent the lights from coming when the brake is applied. The turn signals work and they share the same line. It is a software upgrade as well as various other issues between the two cars. It is funny to see both sets of owners discuss the cars. Take the name out of the forum and replace it with SUV and you wouldn't know they were talking about a different vehicle. Other than the fact Vee Dub is replacing all of our rear center head rest free of charge with the new smaller version. They also gave us handy little flashlights that plug into the cigarette lighter. Not needed, but nice to see them giving things away. I inquired about the smaller headrest and they quoted me 400.00 and said to wait. Vee Dub was replacing every single one and to watch the mail. Now that is service.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OT: Touareg V8 or Cayenne S?