996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24's Or K16/24's Hybrids Pro's & Con's Which Are Better

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:47 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
K24's Or K16/24's Hybrids Pro's & Con's Which Are Better

I Have Stage 2 Already. I'am Wanting To Upgrade Turbo's. Which Would Be Better To Go With ? Will I Need To Upgrade The Ecu Past Stage 2 Flash?

Old 07-24-2006, 07:35 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
I went through the same thing, and ended going with some Hammer K16/24 Zero Clearance Hybrids with upgraded wastegates. I am at GIAC Stage II right now, but have to upgrade to Stage IV (and also doing Stage IV clutch) to get the most out of them. I think after this upgrade I am limited to only about 600hp (which is fine to me right now), and if I want to upgrade, I would have to go to GT640 turbos....very pricey...but the skies the limit on HP. All of my work is being done by Stephen at Imagine Auto....great guy and very knowledgeable.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have kevins 16s they spoolup faster(i'm told) yes they are zero cs.you must have the correct program but ibelieve kevin has that. i am useing giac stage i can't remember. am very happy with my current stuff. ecargo headers,europipi loud, dvs, giac,gt2 ics,evo air box,ssk, all seems to go well with the 16s. good luck

Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
I Have Stage 2 Already. I'am Wanting To Upgrade Turbo's. Which Would Be Better To Go With ? Will I Need To Upgrade The Ecu Past Stage 2 Flash?
ur question is subjective in nature.... and there is no one right answer...
since we mostly have non GT2s... our tts come with k16s... so tuners take ur stock turbos and hybrid them( word used loosely) casue Ive seen the word "hybrid" used on stock k24s...
so what u get with a k16/24 hybrid with a k24 powerband, give or take a few ponies... with less lag... add upgraded wastegates and its a good 580 to 600 hp set up.
the next step is either a k16/garrett combo turbo( liek on the gt640 or gt700 set up).... or other tuners liek protomotive hybrid the stock k24s as well for a nominal fee and u can push 700 hp out of them as well.

the rule of thumb is.. and no matter what they tell u,....
smaller turbo=lees lag=less power.
bigger turbo= more lag=more power.
pure and simple...
as far as lag and k24s.... we dont ever see guys complain about the lag in GT2s.. and yet they have stock k24s... so mabey they are not as bad as we all tend to believe.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 07-24-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
killerbee is on a distinguished road
MARKSKI: Please for the love of god make an attempt to spell or just resort to pictograms....

Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by killerbee
MARKSKI: Please for the love of god make an attempt to spell or just resort to pictograms....
Its the weekend and I work till 5 am at the clubs... maybe Im still buzzed... maybe I cant spell... maybe I just have too much work on 2 other monitors that I don't have the time to do spell check...
I'm not a lawyer nor a doctor... just a dumb *** Polak with a fast car. LOL

click to view

Old 07-24-2006, 09:27 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by killerbee
Hey that`s the way he is. I have no problem understanding him. Sometimes you take the good advice mated with marginal grammar. His insights are worth it to me. But maybe I can send him an English language tutor!!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
You might want to check out Kevins stage II turbos, (k16/26) as you might now get the bang you're looking for upgrading from the stage II to the 16/24's. There will be a difference, but if you're swapping out the turbos, you might want to go one size bigger so you don't end up wanting to swap again in 6 months.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Take Mark's advice, he has been through several setups and know's his ****. His spelling or grammar shouldnt even be brought up, he's trying to help you guys out, how are you going to criticize, i just dont get it!

Anyway Mark's older stg 5 zero clearance turbo's are what im going for, probably soon Mark Expect a call from me!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Just a thought from a K-24 guy. I love hp and I really cant appreciate much "lag" with my car. I have straight pipes, LWFW, and upgraded waste gate springs, but still never had any complaints re turbo lag. thats why they went to the "twin turbos".....so dont kid yourself about the lag. with this cars displacement and twin turbos I doubt anyone would be complaining much about the lag. I am a track guy and so I guess I an usually at redline and on boost. If you are really interested in "drag race" starts, then I guess the tiny turbos may be better?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Take Mark's advice, he has been through several setups and know's his ****. His spelling or grammar shouldnt even be brought up, he's trying to help you guys out, how are you going to criticize, i just dont get it!

Anyway Mark's older stg 5 zero clearance turbo's are what im going for, probably soon Mark Expect a call from me!
Stage 5s ZC are the best no lag turbos. Best of both worlds... no lag and good power up on top. I also compare these to the gt640 turbos but I have a feeling that these have more lag( garrett gt30r compressors).
My old stage 5 ZC hit 1.5 bars in first gear( if I let them).

Tom, you proved my point about the k24s.

click to view

Old 07-24-2006, 10:16 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Paulie,

As it was explained to me by The Speed Gallery when I was exploring options, the K16/24 hybrid spools faster than a stock K24, yet provides more flow than a stock K24, due to the close tolerance machining of the hybrid design.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Any idea what the lag and power difference is on the K16/K24 VS. the K16/K26 ?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
If you're happy at around 600HP, then the K16/24 are awesome. I definitely prefer them to stock K24's...

Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
I had the k16/26 ( stage5s)... it was pulling crazy even at low rpms...
I know that k16/24s duno around 570 hp(crank)- plus 25 hp or so) and the stage 5s ZC dunoed at 580 rwhp with ICs, 76 mm TB, intake, 5 bar FPR.

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24's Or K16/24's Hybrids Pro's & Con's Which Are Better