996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo

Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 AM
techlogik is on a distinguished road
Can someone explain the technical mechanics of the all wheel drive system?

What I mean, is the rear a mechanical limited slip diff? Or some other type of differential that is using braking to compensate for slipping..electronic means? PSM?

Thanks, I have been searching, but haven't found online yet, a technical explanation of the transmission/differential etc..

Because I am wondering if you remove the AWD, are you not getting a true mechnical limited slip differential..that would be a problem and need correcting IMO if that is the case...probably a $2500 job then to get the parts and labor to install it.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by techlogik
Can someone explain the technical mechanics of the all wheel drive system?

What I mean, is the rear a mechanical limited slip diff? Or some other type of differential that is using braking to compensate for slipping..electronic means? PSM?

Thanks, I have been searching, but haven't found online yet, a technical explanation of the transmission/differential etc..

Because I am wondering if you remove the AWD, are you not getting a true mechnical limited slip differential..that would be a problem and need correcting IMO if that is the case...probably a $2500 job then to get the parts and labor to install it.
my thoughts and concern as well. is the rear now a one wheel drive??
dont you "need" a limited slip??

Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tom kerr
my thoughts and concern as well. is the rear now a one wheel drive??
dont you "need" a limited slip??
Yes you need a LSD with this conversion if you actually drive CORNERS

Especially with Turbo's huge power!

(With the 996's the GT3 and GT2 had naturally a LSD from factory while for the basic model it was an option. People say Porsche doesn't sell LSD for Cayman S because it would be faster than the new 997 Carrera....The same goes for the BMW's new 335i when modded, definately needs a LSD!)

We got a Manthey Racing LSD in the avatar Turbo. It's with 45% lock up and should be great! It was just installed so I'll share my experience next spring when our track season begins... (The car's still 4WD but Manthey suggested it as good upgrade because the car's added power and a lot of track use...should be great when accelerating from corners.)

Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
fastoc996twint is on a distinguished road
Burn Some Rubber And Lets See How It Grips... One Or Two Wheels?????????

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fastoc996twint
Burn Some Rubber And Lets See How It Grips... One Or Two Wheels?????????
It actually leaves two wheel marks.. But going around the turn, or trying to kick the back end out, it would if your car has power, but not like an E46 M3/GT2/GT3/Carrera or any car with an LSD where you would need to correct, it just did it and snapped back hard to explain. It definitely needs an LSD!

Old 12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
fastoc996twint is on a distinguished road
so whats the next step? how much is a lsd cost? install? alot i imagine....

Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
From Manthey one of their (well no idea who's the manufacturer..) limited slip diff is about 1200 EUR excluding VAT.

Ask info@manthey-motors.de for more info. They can get one with different specs.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If you drive on the road course, this is a bad move without and LSD, unless you're good enough not to need one, or drive with the PSM on, in which case, it's frustrating.

But the car does turn better. I think the RWD w/ LSD and about negative 2.5-3.0 degress negative camber and sways should work great. Because it works great on AWD.

But if you are expecting some big increase in speed, you wont get that. Will give a similar feel to doing a LWFW, feels a bit quicker, but nothing substantial, and you'll be able to launch better with some DR's that you can heat up.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is on a distinguished road
Great write-up Joe, that's exactly what my shop did. A LSD is the next thing on my list to get as my shop highly recommended that and so did the PCA instructors.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
So who is running factory AWD still but has added a LIMITED SLIP REAR DIFF??

GAURD LSD? others?

thanks,

Marty K.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:30 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

GAURD LSD? others?

thanks,

Marty K.
I had previously installed a Guard LSD before doing the RWD conversion.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

GAURD LSD? others?

thanks,

Marty K.
TopGun put a Guard LSD in his AWD TT...I hear it rolls great in his garage

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG

Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Talk like that will get your a temporary ban on the other forum.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by joetwint
I had previously installed a Guard LSD before doing the RWD conversion.

Did you do this yourself and if so how bad was it? Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo