996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Break the races on the bearing? This is all new to me. I am mechanically inclined but, this is above my pay grade. Any hints?

I tried removing the aliminum clamp that goes around the inner portion of the boot and that didn't do ****.

Do I need to pop out the rubber boot some how? If so how?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
Break the races on the bearing? This is all new to me. I am mechanically inclined but, this is above my pay grade. Any hints?

I tried removing the aliminum clamp that goes around the inner portion of the boot and that didn't do ****.

Do I need to pop out the rubber boot some how? If so how?

996 turbo Bogarts rw...

This is what it looks like after the axle has been removed from the hub....remove the clamps on the rubber boot and slide the boot to the side and you will see the cv joint underneath.there is a bearing inside the hub that needs to be broken so that you can seperate the axle.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Is a LSD required after a RWD is done ? Can anyone provide feedback regarding road-course track experience after the conversion ? I track my car and street it. I figure PSM and traction control by the car's electronics will still be fine correct?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Seems like you are running quite a bit of power. But if you keep the PSM on you should be ok, although with that one rear tire spinning away under load, the PSM may cut engine power quickly and it will likely be aggravating to have the power cut so often.

The handling is another story. Push all day, but it will do that with or without LSD.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Great thread. Question:

Does taking 140 lbs off the very front not make handling much worse, or did you compensate by taking weight off the rear?

Last edited by Prche951; 11-06-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Many have been saying the RWD conversion help eliminate alot of PUSH on the track. Thoughts ?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
There are tons of variables that affect handling. This is just one of them. If you do this, you need to address other variable as well in order to make the new 'system' work for you. Personally, my car handles better since I've done this but I've also done other updates including a corner balance and more aggressive camber settings, sway bars, etc... There are some other good threads that address the issues as well-read up and then go for it! If you don't like it, you can always put it back. Just plan on doing it right or don't waste your time b/c changing one variable will net you with a vehicle that might push more (less weight on the front and no more front tire to push you around the turn)...

Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Gotcha, good point, I mainly do DE events at Limerock, Watkins, Poconos. I was told to keep the front sways full soft and near full hard on the rear when i get them. I will post a wtb H&R thread shortly tonite. Car is corner balanced with a little rake forward right now. World of difference.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Seems like you are running quite a bit of power. But if you keep the PSM on you should be ok, although with that one rear tire spinning away under load, the PSM may cut engine power quickly and it will likely be aggravating to have the power cut so often.

The handling is another story. Push all day, but it will do that with or without LSD.
no one me included (and I am RWD) in my neck of the woods can run fast at the track with the PSM on? do you??

also RWD with no LSD and power aint going to cut it at the track

and when that weight comes off the front of the car do what I did, remove the muffler and rear bumper and go to straight pipes!! that will balance ya out a little.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschenaround
Many have been saying the RWD conversion help eliminate alot of PUSH on the track. Thoughts ?

RWD helps turn in. Mid corner on tight turns or decreasing radius sweepers is another story. A tight twisty circuit really reveals it. High speed tracks with big turns (Road Atlanta, Sebring) it doesnt hurt as bad.

Simple physics says that taking useful weight from low in the car on the light end of the car will affect the handling. With AWD the car tends to power understeer or "scrub" the front tires more, with RWD it "slides" them through the turns.

At least that's been my experience testing the limits. Although not with LSD, which from most everyone I've heard from increases push, but allows more throttle control. But I had issues at a place where the back end stepping out wasnt a problem, so I didnt want to put all that other stuff in the car and risk having more of a push battle on my hands. So I left it alone.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
no one me included (and I am RWD) in my neck of the woods can run fast at the track with the PSM on? do you??

also RWD with no LSD and power aint going to cut it at the track

and when that weight comes off the front of the car do what I did, remove the muffler and rear bumper and go to straight pipes!! that will balance ya out a little.
Depends on the track, but still slower. At Road Atlanta, I can get within 1-2 seconds with it. It's not all THAT bad there. But at Barber, it sucks REAL bad, probably 2.5+ seconds, because it goes nuts with the elevation changes and hairpins.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Depends on the track, but still slower. At Road Atlanta, I can get within 1-2 seconds with it. It's not all THAT bad there. But at Barber, it sucks REAL bad, probably 2.5+ seconds, because it goes nuts with the elevation changes and hairpins.

but all the RWD setups are not equavalent.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
I only run PSM when I am learning a new road or track. I have never been able to run as fast with PSM on... I even turn it off in the local canyons when I am running at a 'spirited' pace (far from all out)... That's just my personal preference and my car with about 600hp will keep setting it off every time I get on the throttle to help steer myself through a turn and balance out some of the inherent front end push.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I was responding to your question on PSM there Tom. That is time the PSM costs me respectively. And consistent with most.

As far as RWD, I lost at least 1 sec at Barber because of it, and had I been able to put a good lap together without traffic maybe narrowed that down to .5 or so. But it was SOOOOOOO much harder. And not at all because of oversteer, but pushing all over the place.

Of course my setup wasnt near what yours is, but I'm not willing to try LSD under the suspicion that it could increase push. I need more bite on the front end without having to drift around the track to get it rotated. When I get it down, my car will be sickeningly fast.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
... but I'm not willing to try LSD under the suspicion that it could increase push. I need more bite on the front end without having to drift around the track to get it rotated....
This is my same sentiment with LSD on my AWD car. I've been trying to decide if I should get the guards 60/40. From everything I can derive, from simply reading , it seems like sliding the rear around a bit is required to overcome the inherent increase in 'push' from an LSD in the corners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo