996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Warranty voided after mods, plenum, headers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM
996c4s_dallas is on a distinguished road
Warranty voided after mods, plenum, headers...

If I am not mistaken your warranty is void if you modify any part on your car covered under an extended warranty.

I was told that the plenum install would void my engine warranty!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
PTarga is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996c4s_dallas
If I am not mistaken your warranty is void if you modify any part on your car covered under an extended warranty.

No, it doesn't. http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
c4bliss will become famous soon enoughc4bliss will become famous soon enough
Never had any problem at my dealership with my warranty and i have quite a few mods on... plenum, flash, suspension ect ect ect

Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 PM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
mods and warranty

Originally Posted by c4bliss
Never had any problem at my dealership with my warranty and i have quite a few mods on... plenum, flash, suspension ect ect ect

I seem to mod all my vehicles. Had a diesel Dodge pickup, and they said my use of an add on box voided the warranty. I told them that the law only lets them void a warranty if they can prove (burden on them) that my mod broke the damaged part. They insisted, so i told them to do the repair, and save the parts they replaced-0 we could litigate it later, i would pay now. Got a call from the Regional mfr rep saying that they would do the work, no problem.

Unless they can prove your mod caused the failure, they can't void the warranty. Sometimes, it helps to remind them of that, however.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
I have K&N high flow, Fabspeed headers & mufflers, ECU re-flash in my car. I visited my local Porsche dealer for service many times, included replacing the cats with no hassle. The service manager and technicians even praised my mods and gave positive comments.

Not every dealer is understanding like mine, but it help if you have a good relationship with them.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
thats what im worry about. my dealer would end up telling me my warranty is gone because of the mod!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 AM
hyper2 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys any recomendation

for a dealer around los angeles ca area where i can take a moded 911 to ????

Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 PM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
"for a dealer around los angeles ca area where i can take a moded 911 to ????"

I would also like to know. I have muffler bypass pipes on my car & I would like to take it in for an inspection and may also want to get an extended warrranty but I dont want to take the bypass pipes off... what should I do?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:20 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Usually the dealer will cover warranty repairs unless the mod part caused the failure. If they ever challenge this, they need to prove to you why.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
slaaw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jstrat85
thats what im worry about. my dealer would end up telling me my warranty is gone because of the mod!
They're probably saying that because they're not really sure and don't want the risk of doing the work and getting stiffed by the warrantor. You should find another dealer more knowledgeable.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 996c4s_dallas

I want to clarify what you have asked because I think many are missing a crucial part of your question.

You are asking about an extended warranty, right? The laws treat extended warranties differently than factory warranties. Aftermarket warranties do not have to follow the Magnuson-Moss Act.

When you purchase an aftermarket warranty you are essentially signing a contract, often the contract specifically states that warranties are void if modifications are made. This is why I have used only Porsche parts when upgrading my 996 that has a warrantydirect.com extension. I used a Porsche X74 suspension and Porsche SSK.

I do not know how this applies to a CPO car. Essentially the extended warranty is provided by Porsche, but I don't know what the contract looks like.

Who wrote your warranty? Best to ask them anonymously and replace parts with stock ones before taking in for warranty repair.

AA

Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by delirium
"for a dealer around los angeles ca area where i can take a moded 911 to ????"

I would also like to know. I have muffler bypass pipes on my car & I would like to take it in for an inspection and may also want to get an extended warrranty but I dont want to take the bypass pipes off... what should I do?

Bypass pipes could never directly affect the warranty.

The only thing close to it would be 100 or 200 cell cats that ruin the oxygen sensor. Keep your pipes on, sit back and enjoy the happy tune they produce.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
“UCrazyKid” has given you VERY good advice regarding private/extended warrantee company policies. Almost as if he experienced the same thing I did with a tricked Audi on a private warrantee. I was legally stalemated - and they didn't have to warrantee anything regardless of whether the mod’s were related or not.
It’s the ONLY time my attorney has ever backed down. To avoid their court costs, they agreed to give that years payment back. Quite an unexpected and expensive eye opener.
The only hole (unfortunately I didn’t do my mod’s this way), was if the dealer installed them, but was informed that was only a small hole, and would still fall under the courts interpretation.