996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Audio is in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Lothar is on a distinguished road
Audio is in

Hi Guys,

996 Cabrio. Allow me to start by saying that I know nothing about car audio. I wanted a very clean system that could play loud with the top down. Other requirements. Had to look stock with as little cutting as possible so that the factory system could be re-installed prior to resale. Based on a number of recommendations I went with the following: Focal Polyglass 3way 165V3E speakers for dash and door panels, Focal Polyglass 100CV1 coaxials for rear panels, Kenwood Excelon 692 head unit, JL Audio 1200 watt 4 channel amp and Dynomat in the door panels. It is also equipped with the Ipod adaptor in the center console and a Sirius module. So far $2600 (Canadian) all in including taxes and install.

Here is the verdict. It plays "relatively" loud but still sounds almost tin like. The rear coaxials do not provide the same amount of "fill" as the original speakers. I have the latest Ipod touch which the new Kenwood cannot seem to navigate. I have to select the Playlist I wish to access. I then plug the IPOD Touch in and can navigate only within that playlist. It has been recommended that I purchase a Nano for in car use. The system as you would expect has no bottom end whatsoever but I am not keen to start cutting out major holes in any visible surfaces. Any thoughts? Are there subs that can be mounted under the seats of a 996 to avoid cutting holes in the rear seat kick panels? Pretty disappointed at this point...

Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
i installed a 8" powered bazooka tube behind the rear seats (in a coupe). fits perfect and it fills the bass just right (i can feel it too)

g/l

Old 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
for the rest of the install.

becker monza headunit (looks oem)

polk tweeters in dash locations

polk two way in doors

polk crossovers

polk 2 chan amp (200W)

no speakers in back.

and that is it.

~1200 US total (DIY install)

jorge

Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
EVO KNIEVO is on a distinguished road
you will not be disappointed with the focals!!!! (if you set it up right.)

your problem is the focals you choose have little to NO lows. like at all. brilliantly bright high's great mids but absolutely no lows. i believe this is why it doesn't "fill" like your stock ones did. it should sound a million times more clear though.

i have a set of the utopia N* 7 and i could not be happier. they are hands down the greatest set of car audio speaker i have ever heard. (next to critical mass's new panel speakers)

i would look into returning your current focals and replace them with the "bass extension" model.

focal also makes a few 8 inch subs that will delivery what you are looking for. they only require about 1 cubic foot for there enclosure.

Last edited by EVO KNIEVO; 07-04-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling and gramar
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 PM
i just read your op, again and you have the polyglass coaxils in the rear, those are definitely not going to give you what you are looking for at all. ditch those asap.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:38 PM
MagnusB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by EVO KNIEVO
i just read your op, again and you have the polyglass coaxils in the rear, those are definitely not going to give you what you are looking for at all. ditch those asap.
So what should he have instead?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:22 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Call Reno at Kennedy Hifi, tell him Brad told you to call, he is a Wizard with Porsche cars and doing systems in them, Mine is going in next week for a complete set up. PM me if you need and addition info

Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Lothar is on a distinguished road
Thanks Brad,

Kennedy HiFi actually did my home theatre set up several years ago and it is killer. Probably the source of my discontent (as a reference).

Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
No I'm Corey Brad is a friend of mine that supplies Kennedy audio gear and Reno did his Porsche a month ago, i hear it and creamed my pants it sounded amazing!!! So i have an appointment on Wed this week!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by MagnusB

NOT COAXIALS!!!

if your into audiophile, it's going to sound "tin-y" not much depth.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by MagnusB
or the bass extension version i mentioned in the post above.