996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 vs. E46 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E. coli
True, bought mine with a CPO that lasted an additional 9 months but after that ran out I was able to get an additional 3 year aftermarket warranty through the local Porsche dealer which essentially covers everything but wear and tear parts- it wasn't cheap but I have peace of mind from the dreaded RMS.
Meh, aftermarket warranties... pretty sad that a car has to stoop to that level where it is that unpredictable or expensive to fix that you need 9 years of coverage just to stay sane.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
waydeki is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 11Past9
Again, I am more focused on whether I will buy a 911 and end up hating myself because something crazy went wrong and I should have known it was coming.
get a vette...

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
joeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these parts
he said he was afraid of something going wrong

Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by joeygambino
he said he was afraid of something going wrong
Actually Corvettes are extremely reliable... but I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea

Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
asifallasleep is on a distinguished road
M3 will cost you a lot less and be more reliable. Won't be half as fun to drive as the 911 tho. I had an '03 911 and it had nothing but problems. Spent 8k in repairs/upgrades in a year and then gearbox issues arose which would have cost 8-10K to fix. I got rid of the car and am now driving a Z4. I hate it. Problem is I can't get the Porsche out of my head. So if you buy the Porsche you may have to pay, you'll have the time of your life, will never want to ever drive anything else, but if you get rid of it after emptying your pockets, oh well, welcome to my world. My advice is if you buy the Porsche, be ready to keep it for good, buy a warranty, and don't, i repeat don't ever get rid of it. Unless you get another one. It's like flying first class, once you do it, you never want to ever be in coach. Drive the Porsche and every other car will feel like crap.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
If you want a fun car, but engine failure is your main concern, why not go with a Cayman? The newer engines have a much smaller chance of failure, & although I haven't been in a Cayman, I hear all good things about the driving experience. I mean, it is lighter, more nimble, mid-engined, & Porsche engineered. Although they don't have as much power, but they're cheap as hell right now. You can mod it with all the money you save.... Of course, it'll never be a 911. But it also won't be boring like an M3.

... But, if even a Cayman gets your panties up in a twist about reliability & blah blah blah, stop posting & buy a Civic. There's no such thing as a reliable exotic, or even semi-exotic. Infact, Porsche is probably the closest there is to one. Look at what the Ferrari & Lambo guys pay for maintenance, & their cars have problems too. Comprared to those cars, Porsches are actually cheap to maintain, even when things break. Even Maseratis & Aston Martins are more expensive to maintain & repair.

Last edited by RaphaelP; 04-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
not sure if you have the mod bug or not, but the E46 is very easy to mod on the cheap. Lots of good tuners out there.

Good luck with either.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
bruceinmiami is on a distinguished road
996 RMS issue, it's so rare that I don't see why it gets so much forum coverage. if you look under a prospective car and it's bone dry at the seams, it's just not going to get an RMS leak.

and even if it does, it;s just a minor drop here and there. not catastrophic engine death fercrissakes!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
bruceinmiami is on a distinguished road
i blew the engine on a e36 m3 a while back and the reason turned out to be a faulty oil jet under one of the pistons.

$9k repair.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
ToddMcF2002 will become famous soon enough
I havent owned a 911 but I have owned an e46 M3. They are expensive to own. I was under CPO warranty but I kept track of the covered work. It added up over 8K the last year I owned it. Lots of limp mode sensor stuff, throttle body sensor, fuel delivery issues etc. Oh and as noted inspection II is very expensive.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM
waydeki is on a distinguished road
This may be a crazy suggestion (although i am doing this with my car).

Buy a high mileage 996 in the best condition you can find and have Jake Raby or Fabian Roock do a 3.6 conversion with LM Engineering components. The motor will set you back $15-17k all said and done. But you might be able to find a high miler or a roller (bad motor, like my car) for around $10-$12k.

I am doing this because i already own the car and it needs a motor. but my research has increased my faith in the aforementioned engine builders over the factory porsche motor.

Last edited by waydeki; 04-21-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Jake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the rough
Before I bought my 996 I had to test-drive the M3 after hearing and reading about what great cars they are. I always wanted a Porsche and did not care much about cost of maintenance or reliability...after all they are German made cars. If you want a reliable and affordable maintenance vehicle, buy a Toyota or Honda, otherwise buy the car you are passionate about.
That having said, I found the M3 more tame and less in torque, need to rev it to get the power. The engine sounded like it was stress out all the time. To say the least, I was a little disappointed after all the media hype. Once I drove the 996, there was no doubt...it a driver’s machine from heaven. Drive them both and buy the one you love, everything else is secondary. Good luck

Last edited by Jake Ok; 04-21-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
drifter12 is on a distinguished road
i own both and they're very different cars. ducatiS4R puts it well below. the M3 is an incredible all round performer that IMO could be a practical DD. my 996 doesnt necessarily feel faster, but has that harder edged no compromise sports car feel.. steering position/feel, handling, simplicity in form/function that the M3 doesnt have. you give up a lot that the m3 has to get this, but IMO its worth it. that said, i still miss the M3 which i sold recently =(

Originally Posted by DucatiS4R
i have owned a E46 M3 and currently own a C4S (chip/intake) and can say that the 996 is much more prone to problems. I literally beat the sh*t out of my M3 every single day and it never died. It is a truly amazing car. One of the best in my opinion. You give up a lot to get a little in the 996 but to me that little was worth it.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
luva966tt will become famous soon enoughluva966tt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

I had an 1999 cabriolet and after a few M3's and 335's walked all over me I decided on my present p car. 333hp compared to 296hp w/ a rag top, it was nasty. Dont know if a chip would of made it better or not. I have respect for the m's. But I sure do miss the ragtop on nice days.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:55 AM
Jepaler0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Two different animals !!!!

Originally Posted by Teuton
What are your purposes for the car? Street use only? Occasional DE or Autocross? It matters as each car has inherent strengths and weakness.

For what it's worth, my buddy has both. The M3 has proven to be no less expensive to own than his 996. Standard maintenance seems right about the same (comparing Inspection II's and valve service for the E46 vs the 30 service for the 996).

Driving experience- the 996 trumps the E46 in spades. More feedback, quicker response and challenging nature at the limit. The 996 is lighter, slightly quicker, provides a fantastic amount of driver involvement that the E46 doesn't. The E46 is punchier down low but that's about it. It feels larger, more lethargic in it's reactions. Not saying it's bad, just not as good. I've had a chance to co-drive a decently prepared car a e46 M3 a few years ago for a season in autocross. The M3 is more forgiving to drive fast but the 996 seems to be a bit quicker but it's harder to extract that performance. But when driven right the 996 is amazing when driven to it's strengths can be quite a bit quicker than the M3.

Practicality- E46 has the advanatage of more space for passengers and better trunk.

Everyday driving comfort- Stock to stock the 996 is better with normal suspension (non sport). I've never driven a sport suspension car (MO30) but I hear it's only moderately more stiff than normal. BMWs tend to be overly stiff on their compression valving but have soft springs so it gives them a harsh initial hit on a bump but pretty soft rebound. The 996 is much better at controlling it's springs.

For me I'd pick the 996 but it depends on what you use the car for. Performance and driving dynamic are key for me and I have a second vehicle as a daily. Never have any downsides to my 996 as I don't drive it if I need playload space. If it's your only car, maybe the E46 is your ticket.

PS- for background I'm quite a Bimmerhead as well. My last car was an E36 323is that was prepared for DSP in SCCA (autocross) and my local chapters classing. I have had the opportunity to pretty much drive every variant of the 3 series starting with the E30. They are phenomonal cars for what their purpose is. The 911 is just more focused.
I own both an E46 M3 manual Cabrio and a 996 Carrera 2. I totally agree with this post. The m3 feels generally quicker but seems much harsher and appears to carry more weight into the corners. The 996 feels lighter and more delicate. However, the M3 is bullet proof and the 996 certainly is not !!!! The 996 is being rebuilt at the moment(aaaaaaaaargh !!!!) and there wont be change out of 6000 pounds. The M3 just keeps marching. The 996 just feels much more special to drive.