996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Question about brake fluid changing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Question about brake fluid changing

How do you get the brake fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir? Removing the screen is easy, but you're still left with a plastic piece (perhaps the support for the brake fluid level sensor) that effectively blocks you from using the recommended turkey baster. It looks like a syringe would work, but that would take forever.

So what's the solution?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
are you trying to bleed the brakes? if so, you'll need to extract the fluid from the wheels. as the fluid is bled, you fill the resevoir. if you arent sure what you are doing, i'd not mess with this one as you do not want air in the system which can cause failure in brakes.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 will become famous soon enough
From my experience, what Oggie is attempting is correct. It's just the first step. Try to get as much of the old stuff out from the reservoir as possible. I used a syringe - a big one with a flexible tube attached. There might be a bunch of junk built up in there. Best to try to get as much of that out as possible. Then, fill with new brake fluid. Then bleed the brakes. This way, bleeding out the old fluid will be quicker and cleaner for your system. If you try to bleed the brakes without first trying to remove as much of the old junk as possible, it'll take longer and you'll be running more of that old fluid with its junk through your lines. That did not sound like an appealing idea to me.

Of course like minds can disagree - I am just sharing what worked well for me. G/L. Oh, and, just remember your basic physics to keep air out of the system - keep brake fluid in the reservoir at least up to the point that it is above the reservoir output line. This is not the lowest point of the reservoir, so to be safe, add more fluid when it gets down to about the middle of the reservoir. This is a very easy job, just take your time.

Last edited by my996; 07-12-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM
VTach is on a distinguished road
I've read of some using a soap dispenser attachment to "pump" the old brake fluid out. This might be less messy than the turkey baster. A 60cc syringe would be a great solution. You might consider getting a Motive pressure bleeder to simplify the bleeding process...worth every penny!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Last time I did this, I used a liquid soap pump and it worked just fine. The problem is, they must have made the tube for those wider since the last time I did this, so the tube won't fit in. I looked around the house and found a Purell hand sanitizer in a pump dispenser, and that looks like it might work. I'll also look into getting a syringe with some thin tubing attached to it.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
It's been a while since I did it too so please post what you end up using so I can get the same tube/pump/whatever.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Bleeding it out via the wheels is not that tedious if you use a power bleeder. I liked that better than trying to suck the fluid out of the resevoir. Also, be sure you bleed your clutch if flushing the old fluid.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Originally Posted by mathism
Bleeding it out via the wheels is not that tedious if you use a power bleeder. I liked that better than trying to suck the fluid out of the resevoir. Also, be sure you bleed your clutch if flushing the old fluid.
Do you use the same reservoir to flush the clutch as the brake bleed?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, the clutch uses the same brake fluid system. It is a bit of a pain, but if you are flushing, it should be done.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Viper6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mathism
Yes, the clutch uses the same brake fluid system. It is a bit of a pain, but if you are flushing, it should be done.
Assuming I can find the slave cylinder back under the vehicle (any orientation appreciated from those who have done this), the manual I have states:
"before the clutch system is filled or Bled, the clutch must be in the pedal fully depressed position"

Did you guys follow this? I'm not understanding why this would be as no other car I have ever had prescribes this. From my basic knowledge, if clutch pedal is fully depressed, that master cylinder has closed off access to the resevoir and has the line under pressure... not sure how you could power bleed in this pedal status...

Do you think they mean manual bleeding requires pedal depressed before you crack the bleed nipple... that would make sense, except the manual describes power bleeding only, which I plan to do with my Motive.

Someone who has done this with power bleeder please set the record straight for me if you will, thx!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM
dotframe is on a distinguished road
I hope cross pollinating with RL is ok...

Here is my thread on flushing my brake fluid. I used one of those oral syringes used for giving medicine to kids or dogs and a little rubber hose. Worked perfectly.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...e-bleeder.html

Well...I just realized the dates on this thread...guess my answer came a few years too late

Last edited by dotframe; 05-16-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
Hi, the soap pump works well, if you have trouble getting the stem into the resevoir attach a length of flexible tubing to it and that will work, you should always bleed the clutch if you are doing the brakes, takes a bit longer but then you will know that everything is fresh, here is a DIY for the procedure. http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-instructions/

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
Yes, I used the Motive (air only, over a full brake reservoir) to bleed the clutch with the pedal full depressed, using a board, heavily wrapped at the seat end, and seat motor to hold the clutch down tight. Just like in the Renntech post, which is a copy of the SM.