996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Possible IMS???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 PM
crazyed71 is on a distinguished road
Possible IMS???

So i change oil and open the filter, metal specs...

History is, 5k miles ago a used engine (bearing replaced) was installed, engine had 43000 miles..... According to my independent mechanic (which performed the engine install) the engine was a rebuild (porsche), he thinks its not a problem (he has 30 years experience), any way i have seen at the shop some of the methal residue that comes from an IMS failure (those are chunks, these are microns) but there are a lot of them in the filter....
Pic makes it hard to see, overall i think maybe 40-50 pencil point size flakes...
sorry for the pic quality
OPINIONS?

Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM
let me add that these are very fine particles or fillings of metal and bits of gasket sealant...

Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I'm surprised nobody has responded yet...I'm no expert but from other similar threads people usually recommend sending an oil sample out to be analyzed. I know some small particles are to be expected so if I were you I'd send the oil out and run by a trusted local independent mech for his assessment of the particles in your filter.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
JohnnyV1 is on a distinguished road
I recently did the same, and found no particles.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 AM
914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of
What year is your 996? Which engine?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 AM
00 3.4, manual... Indipendent mech sais it is fairly comon to find particles in filter. Most of the particles were visible only the 2nd day when all oil had dropped out. Since the engine had been remanufactured, he believes those are residues of a break in period. He showed me the "shavigs" from IMS failure. He is scheptical this could be IMS, because when he installed this engine 43k miles (USED) it was a remanufactured and had the LME bearing installed ( he verified before placing in car). In 300 miles we will check filter again, insert magnetic oil plug and send to get oil analized. One more thing, i can hear no noises what so ever from car at cold start, or anything else for that mater.
Is anyone else getting these specs in engine... ?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
No metal over here, but working through what the source of plastic fragments found in my oil sump.

What is the status with your car? Did you send the oil to be tested at a lab?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
No i did not. after oil + filter change, i drove the car 1000 miles, last week my mech and i pulled the filter and initially nothing, once the filter rested in a rag a few hours, we saw 4-5 particles. TSince they are so small and the number was drammatically lower, he sais its nothing to worry about. He has showed me probable 10 different signs of internal problems ( methal particles, shavings, pearled junk, plastics and so on, from other costumers cars he had saved). BTW he has been a porsche mech for over 40 years, many of which at dealers.
About the plastic, do you have a rebuilt engine or with 40-60k miles?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Sounds like you are in great hands. What is your next step?
Simply enjoy the car and look closely at the filter at oil changes? Or something else?

For me, car has 65,400 miles, and as far as I know all of it is original. I bought it private party from the second owner in early 04.

No problems with the car, but I had a small oil leak and when they pulled the sump off, they found the four small pieces. They listened with a stethascope and everything checked out. They opened up the filter and didn't find anything in there.

The real head game for me, starts with the idea that the plastic pieces could have been in there after initial break in (early 99). So I am mildly freaked out, because I can't afford to replace the engine. I am going to get the LN IMSr next month to be safe, probably replace the variocam wear pads but other than that, ? My love for the car is being tested this month!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Boy i can feel your pain! When i drove it for those 1000k... I too could not rest well about it. My tech told me that when he takes engines apart, he finds a lot of debries in the bottom of engine, in many places... And you are right about the IMS being only one of possible failures... So for me, i will now drive it like i stole it, and enjoy it for what it was meant, change oil every 5k, and if something happens... Well i guess it was destined to happen.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Totally with you. I am working/struggling to get a state of mind like yours. New engine/rebuilds are so expensive (OEM is something like 18K and Jake Raby charges considerably more but for a much better then OEM m96 engine). So I need to get on board with the fact that I can't do much about it. So I will continue to change my oil every 3000 miles, get the LN IMSr, and ????

For you, its got to be reassuring that you have a great mechanic and that the particles are fewer than last time. Awesome.

Thanks for the comeraderie. BTW, the your car looks great. Nothing beats the silhouette of a dark colored 911. Turbo twisties make it even better.

Good luck with your car man. Feel free to throw updates my way. I am interested.