996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Question--My 2002 front end makes a knocking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
Question--My 2002 front end makes a knocking noise

When I drive my 2002 for more than 15-20 minutes I notice a knocking sound. It seems to be coming from/related/heard near the front suspension or steering area and more pronounced over little bumps and while driving on streets. When I drive the car the next day, the noise will always go away until the car is driven for a while again. It seems like the sound can be heard behind the dashboard.
When I had it on the rack awhile ago the mechanic didn’t see any issues and unfortunately it wasn’t making the knocking sound when I took him for a test drive. Any ideas what is causing the problem?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 AM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
tie rods? my inner ones are bad so i gotta replace those soon. also see if anything is loose or rolling around in the front boot. some people have reported there jack or wheel lock was loose and that was causing the noise up front. silly but it happens. good luck!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like worn bushings in the suspension. Is the car a C2 or a C4? AWD cars have some additional suspension components that can wear out as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
There's nothing in the boot area rolling around--good question. Again, it is consistent when the rattling starts happening. When the car is warmed-up/driven for more than 15 minutes straight.
It is a C2.
Thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 AM
PKStyles is on a distinguished road
its your front toe-links. had the same problem. it's a cheap fix, maybe $60 a side and half hour to an hour labour.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 PM
And did you have the same intermittent problem with the clunk noise?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 AM
producerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud of
Did anyone ever find a fix for this?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I had my car serviced by the Porsche dealer 2 months ago and have not had the clunking sound for a while. However, I only drive the car 500 miles a year and for short drives. Unfortunately, I have not heard the sound for a long time and the mechanic could not replicate the sound either. So, they were speculating it was some steering thing that would cost me like $500 a side or $1k a pair. I didn 't really believe them since they were speculating so I didn't have it done. I REALLY need to drive the car more and when I do the problem will arrise. Seems like the car needs to get warmed-up and driven at least 30+ miles for the issue to start/be heard.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Mine is a C2

Old 04-22-2013, 02:29 PM
roadsession is on a distinguished road
you'll have to replace inner and outer tie rods

Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Just in case, check that the spare tire is not loose. It would make a clunk noise.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Just an FYI, you really do need to drive it more. Water will accumulate in your oil and brake fluid.

Originally Posted by Ersel
I had my car serviced by the Porsche dealer 2 months ago and have not had the clunking sound for a while. However, I only drive the car 500 miles a year and for short drives. Unfortunately, I have not heard the sound for a long time and the mechanic could not replicate the sound either. So, they were speculating it was some steering thing that would cost me like $500 a side or $1k a pair. I didn 't really believe them since they were speculating so I didn't have it done. I REALLY need to drive the car more and when I do the problem will arrise. Seems like the car needs to get warmed-up and driven at least 30+ miles for the issue to start/be heard.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
I had the same issue with my C2. Ended up being the sway bar bushings. They are super cheap and easy to replace. I highly suggest replacing those first to see if they are the cause.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Bigbiglemoncoke is on a distinguished road
hi,
does the knocking noise happen under braking?

Old 08-08-2015, 12:04 PM
boxster0310 is on a distinguished road
Question Similar Noise 2003 Boxster

I have a similar situation. A knocking noise coming from what sounds like the front left of my boxster. I only ever notice it when on the interstate and the windows are up. If the radio is on, or the windows are down I guess it's just not loud enough to be noticeable. I never hear it at slower speeds... generally it happens at 60 or above.
It will come and go, but I think that has to do with speed. Have recently had the car serviced... they did a purchase inspection and came back with nothing.

Any suggestions?
I'm posting, as the situations described as creating the noise for this thread are different then mine.
I appreciate any suggestions