996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Engine bay cleaning tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM
speedyvespa will become famous soon enoughspeedyvespa will become famous soon enough
Engine bay cleaning tips?

I've a 996 TT and the engine bay could do with a detailing... it's not super oily or dirty, more dusty and a general build up of light grime.

What's the best way of doing it - steam clean or a degreaser and brush? Any 'sensitive' spots to be wary of (i.e. air filter, electronics)?

TIA - this forum is really helpful and wonderfully a**hole free. Makes a nice change.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
just leave the lid closed, its not worth looking at, gets my vote for one of the most pathetic looking engine bays ever on a car costing more than $20k

Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Cool

The beauty is on the outside and how she performs,not what's under the hood.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of threads on cleaning the engine. Keep away from air intakes and don't use too high of a pressure.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Speedy,

This might help:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fessional.html

There are plenty more detailing threads in the Detailing sub-forum under Tech. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
aharonsparrow is on a distinguished road
You just get regular service and protect your car from solid dirt. You can also use vacuum or steam treatment for cleaning engine. Never use water for cleaning engine. Few peoples are cleaning their car engine with water.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Clo
Clo is on a distinguished road
+1 on not using direct water. I've used a steam cleaner before with great results.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 AM
aharonsparrow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Clo
+1 on not using direct water. I've used a steam cleaner before with great results.
I agree with you. I am doing same thing when I am cleaning my car's engine. If you have few other tips so keep sharing with me.

Last edited by aharonsparrow; 06-04-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
speedyvespa will become famous soon enoughspeedyvespa will become famous soon enough
Thanks guys! Steam cleaning sounds like the way to go...

Went for a very nice drive at the weekend, first time I've taken it for a decent spin of any length. Everything else just seems so slow and it's so easy to drive at high speeds. Too easy...

Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i just use rags and spray bottom with soapy water / simple green. works real well but dont spray on too much simple green as it's not so good for alum.

even a wet towel works well if the engine bay is just dusty and slightly grimy. a 5-10 min job. don't use armor all type of protectant much except on hoses since that'll attract dirty.

pros use brushes for a spotless result. i may try that next time when i have more time.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
machbx is on a distinguished road
Wink

Originally Posted by speedyvespa
Thanks guys! Steam cleaning sounds like the way to go...

Went for a very nice drive at the weekend, first time I've taken it for a decent spin of any length. Everything else just seems so slow and it's so easy to drive at high speeds. Too easy...
That's so funny ~ I went to up to my brothers 55 north and I was just cursing along and the other cars just seemed like cows in a field standing still ... then I looked down and I was 100+ I'm not even a good driver - she just loves to run and makes cruising a sweet sweet thing. And to think I was going to go back to a big block ..There is a replacement for displacement .... freedom ~~~;}

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
My car lives in a corrosive marine environment so I avoid water and touch up engine bay with some Boeshield T-9 spray and a microfiber rag. Avoid belts, alt, and electrics if you can. Gleaming results.