996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Door window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Door window

This just started today and concerns the drivers door window. There is a "rattling" noise as the window is raised or lowered. When I close the door, and the window is in the up position, the window automatically goes down about 1/3 the way and stops. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the motor? Also, is the window mechanism similiar to VW's in that it is controlled by a cable? Is this problem a DIY repair or should I take it to the dealership? Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Gonzo911 will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a bad window regulator. Common problem but pricey at a dealer. I know there are lots of DIY's on it here and on rennlist. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
This sounds like a window regulator to me too. The regtulator unit has a cable that stretches out over time and eventually fails. It's not too bad from a DIY perspective if you're handy. There is a DIY guide on www.renntech.org, if I'm not mistaken. The hardest part of the whole thing is taking the door panel off without damaging the leather.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
We can get you a OE or a aftermarket one and with the DIY given by Dennis C you will be able to get it back in working condition in no time. Click Here to view our selection.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to take the door panel off today and check it out then decide on a regulator if that's the problem. According to a youtube video on door panel removal it's only a couple of Phillips and Torx screws to remove.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
would you please post that link

thanks !

Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
would you please post that link

thanks !
Ask and ye shall receive!
There is another Phillips head screw behind the inside door handle that the video doesn't mention. If it does I must have missed it.

It took 30 mins to remove the door panel and another 15 to remove the styrofoam insulation cover. Take your time to avoid any scratches or breakage. A friend of mine had a new window regulator which I installed yesterday also. Works like new!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Glad you got it back to working order and thank you posting the video.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM
properformance1 is on a distinguished road
Bad window regulator, it happened to me in the past.