996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is this an AOS failure? Video inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Is this an AOS failure? Video inside

Hey all. I have an '04 C2 that has thrown a P0420 error - inefficient catalyst. I have read the O2 sensor voltages as the cat is indeed done

I am basically curious if it's the fault of a gentle AOS failture wreaking havoc on the cat over time. The video below shows what happens when I remove the cap. The cap comes off rather easily, but there is definitely suction and the idle changes smoothly (RPM's increase). Can anyone suggest if this is a sign of a failed AOS or not?

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/aero...37351.mp4.html

Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Anyone??

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
looks like innermix.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It could be, but I think you normally get more suction from a bad AOS than that, but that's a lot of moisture in there. The moisture could just be from short trips on a cold engine, which can also cause cat failure due to the rich condition of a cold start.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I agree, but with that much moisture it could be clogged causing less suction.
At this point I would suggest cleaning that stuff out and getting an oil change and re-setting/clearing the codes and go out for some long spirited driving, weather permitting. Then re-evaluate, at least you would know most of the moisture is removed and if the lite comes back on you would know it was truly a bad cat. I wouldn't let the oil get this much moisture in it again though.
As a second point, if there is that much moisture in the oil, you really need to check you brake fluid as the same thing can happen.

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
It could be, but I think you normally get more suction from a bad AOS than that, but that's a lot of moisture in there. The moisture could just be from short trips on a cold engine, which can also cause cat failure due to the rich condition of a cold start.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
Do you get any puffs of smoke when you start the car? Take note if it comes out from both sides of the exhaust or just one.

As suggested above, definitely change the oil and see if there is the same crud on the coolant expansion tank. If that is the case, then you definitely have a case of intermix (oil and water).

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I already know the cat is toast - I have read the oxygen sensors both before and after the cat on bank 1 and can see that the car is having no impact. Bank 2's cat is working fine. I am just curious if the suction I am seeing is normal, or an AOS failure.

I do get a little bit of smoke coming from the bad cat side, only during the first moments of cold operation.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
revn29k00 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
looks like innermix.
+1. That filler tube is very dirty.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
kraelo has a spectacular aura aboutkraelo has a spectacular aura aboutkraelo has a spectacular aura about
I think he has that 'Vitamix Blender' option I've always heard about....

So that's where you put the ingredients!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aerogt3
Hey all. I have an '04 C2 that has thrown a P0420 error - inefficient catalyst. I have read the O2 sensor voltages as the cat is indeed done

I am basically curious if it's the fault of a gentle AOS failture wreaking havoc on the cat over time. The video below shows what happens when I remove the cap. The cap comes off rather easily, but there is definitely suction and the idle changes smoothly (RPM's increase). Can anyone suggest if this is a sign of a failed AOS or not?

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/aero...37351.mp4.html
The guidelines for P0420/P0430 are to if any aging O2 sensor codes are present to replace the indicated sensors, clear the codes and then drive the car.

If the P0420/P0430 codes come back replace the converters.

The engine's reaction to the cap removal is normal. It creates a big intake air leak. The DME will adapt though and the engine recover to about how it was running before you removed the cap. The moderate vacuum is normal. One failure mode is the AOS creates so much low pressure in the crankcase one can't pull the oil filler tube cap off against the pressure difference.

But either not all AOS's fail this way or the failure mode is transitory. So you can't use the absence of extreme low pressure as a sign the AOS is ok.

The stuff in the oil filler tube is what collects when the car is used for short trips and the engine doesn't get completely warmed up. The cold engine accumulates water -- combustion by product -- which when the engine gets warm turns to vapor and condenses at the top of the oil filler tube because that is the coldest place in the crankcase accessible to the crankcase fumes with the water (and oil) vapor.

I do not think the engine has an intermix problem but better safe than sorry. So to eliminate any intermix problem have the oil analyzed for among other things presence of anti-freeze chemicals.

If you find there is no intermix you should change the oil/filter and wipe out what you can of that goo at the top of the tube.

Then be sure to drive the car more for longer distances and get that oil hot, hot and hot. Did I mention get the oil hot?

And consider moving to a shorter oil/filter service interval too.

Last edited by Macster; 06-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.